Typhon Post your Typhon pics here.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered 2 a while ago and they've been great. Then I tried to be cheap and bought 2 from ebay. Mistakes were made 🤣. I put one in the wifey typhon with tp 4060 1750kv and a hardened pinion. Let's just say I didn't know a metal spur could be ate up that bad. Car literally stopped working 🤣 😱

What size pinion will I be able to max with? Figured I'd step up to max a little @ a time. I have 26-30t ordered, I don't think I have anything higher than that yet
30+ will fit with 40t spur. I'm not sure on max size but maybe 34 would fit. Whether or not a max6 can handle that is another story 🤣

I was running a 22t and it seemed like it was the smallest that would fit. I think you will be fine with what you have.

30+ will fit with 40t spur. I'm not sure on max size but maybe 34 would fit. Whether or not a max6 can handle that is another story 🤣
I run with the Limitless spool with 39t and 29t on motor, with the Mamba Monster X 8s and the hw 4985 motor from max6, running on 6s

But i using the 50mount for the stock motor mount

I have a grocery store parking lot across the street from me that I've been thrashing/ drifting around in after they close for the night (9 pm) & on Sundays- they're closed. Will this taller gearing have a negative effect on my ability to go street bashing @ all? Will my motor run too hot? I have 2 40mm fans on it & have been hitting 125° after a full pack. Thanks for any insight/info you can send my way!🙂👍

Frank (the Hawkeye) is on a kraton chassis w/ mojave arms f/r that Jenny's sent me by mistake when I ordered typhon arms. I ended up keeping them & using them here. I got to rip up my neighborhood w/ the new wide Grippers, 1st run all stretched out & all I can say is... can't really use the use the verbiage appropriately here!! Drive line is still all stock, geared w/ 23t & 50t spur only hit 60. New to on road stuff- should it go faster? How do I make it faster? W/ higher gearing?
BTW running max6 & hobbywing 1650
Or you could go higher KV. I had my TLR do 78 with the HW 4274 2200KV motor and the Max8 on 6S. Had it geared 44/22 on BSR foams. That 1650 is kinda heavy too so the smaller motor was good from a weight aspect. Threw 2 fans on it and it didn't get hot at all either. From what I've seen there's two different schools of thought: one says lower KV and gear the hell out it (lower KV protects against heat and gives more torque, can use larger pinions and smaller spur/spool) while the other says higher KV and moderate to aggressive gearing to get the most RPMs. I lean towards the higher KV camp but I prefer a longer motor like the TP 4070 or Cordova 1445 line where you get a longer can to dissipate the heat plus you get a little bump in torque from the longer rotor and shaft (TP got the CM and SCM lines for extreme RPM). That 4274 HW is a beast though cause it packs a helluva punch and is very lightweight. Gotta take motor weight into consideration too but you can sort of overcome that with gearing if you can figure that out. Every build is gonna be different based on how you put it together I'm finding out.

Funny you say that, just ordered 2 of em this wkend!!! Along w/ some bigger pinions 😁😆👍
Another trick you can try is thorwing Infraction diff gears in there. The Typhons come with 43/13 (ratio: 3.3) while the Infractions are 42/15 (ratio: 2.8). It helps a lot even though it seems like a small difference. Lot more wheel speed when you start gearing up with the center/pinion. You could even do 2 Felony rears which are 45/14 (3.2 ratio) if you're conservative. This seems even smaller but I'll give you a little back story. When I was looking over my TLR I opened the case and thought I stripped one of the screws on the diff case. I had two Infractions laying around so I stuck those in there to give me 42/13 (3.2) which I thought wouldn't be a big deal...they fit well and the diff was smooth which is all I cared about. That one tooth change made a noticeable difference almost the same as going one tooth higher on the main pinion or one tooth lower on the center. Since I now had two 15T input gears left over from the Infraction diffs I wanted to try that with the 45T from the Felony which would give me 45/15 (even 3.0 ratio)...only problem was the 15T was too large to mesh with the 45T so I couldn't get it to work!!! I was deeply scarred!! LOL. I know that ratio would have been a beast if I could just get it to fit.

Another trick you can try is thorwing Infraction diff gears in there. The Typhons come with 43/13 (ratio: 3.3) while the Infractions are 42/15 (ratio: 2.8). It helps a lot even though it seems like a small difference. Lot more wheel speed when you start gearing up with the center/pinion. You could even do 2 Felony rears which are 45/14 (3.2 ratio) if you're conservative. This seems even smaller but I'll give you a little back story. When I was looking over my TLR I opened the case and thought I stripped one of the screws on the diff case. I had two Infractions laying around so I stuck those in there to give me 42/13 (3.2) which I thought wouldn't be a big deal...they fit well and the diff was smooth which is all I cared about. That one tooth change made a noticeable difference almost the same as going one tooth higher on the main pinion or one tooth lower on the center. Since I now had two 15T input gears left over from the Infraction diffs I wanted to try that with the 45T from the Felony which would give me 45/15 (even 3.0 ratio)...only problem was the 15T was too large to mesh with the 45T so I couldn't get it to work!!! I was deeply scarred!! LOL. I know that ratio would have been a beast if I could just get it to fit.
I'm still kinda learning about all of the different gearing combos- seems like there's an infinite number w/ spur, pinion, & motor. Not to mention different applications. I'll just have to fiddle around w/ everything & see what I like best🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I'm still kinda learning about all of the different gearing combos- seems like there's an infinite number w/ spur, pinion, & motor. Not to mention different applications. I'll just have to fiddle around w/ everything $ see what I like best🤷‍♂️
Best way to do it. That's what makes the hobby fun for me. Just tinkering and trying different things. Never know...you might stumble on a game changer!!! LOL

Here's a good formula to start with. Lets you get a RPM number based on your gearing and battery:

(Motor KV x Total Volts) / (Spur Gear/Pinion Gear) = TOTAL RPM

Example: right now I'm running a 2300 KV Cordova on 6s (22.2 volts). I've got a 40T spur with a 23T pinion. So 2300 x 22.2 = 51060. Then take 40/23 = 1.73. 51060 divided by 1.73 = 29514 TOTAL RPM. Most motors are rated to at least 40-50K RPM so I'm good there. I'd just have to watch temps and gear up or down based on that and what speed I'm trying to get. Higher RPMs equates directly to higher speeds in general without taking vehicle weight, tire size and road conditions into account. I try to target 25K RPMs or higher. TP has motors rated to 75K and some even 90 or 100K. You'll probably never get that high without burning the whole damn car up though! LOL

Last edited:
My Hybrid Typhon 6s. Front HR O6S hubs, rear O6S hubs, O6S RPM arms, stock O6S driveshafts, steering links and rear links, M2C chassis and chassis braces, rear HR bulkhead, MMX8S, 1650KV HW motor, 23T pinion, front and rear EXB diffs, Felony center diff, PPS motor mount, rear Mojave EXB shocks all around. M2C Typhon shock towers in the front and rear. More than $1k invested, but my hybrid Typhon is a BEAST :

20220526_113041.jpg
20220526_113034.jpg
20220526_113026.jpg

My new Typhon Pb

Awesome, man. I’m surprised to see those Toyo’s hold up at those speeds. I just wish they’d mount them in a directional orientation, as they’re asymmetrical, but it clearly didn’t hurt their performance.
Oh wait, that was KPH. 87 still ain’t bad though. Nice run, man!

Awesome, man. I’m surprised to see those Toyo’s hold up at those speeds. I just wish they’d mount them in a directional orientation, as they’re asymmetrical, but it clearly didn’t hurt their performance.
Oh wait, that was KPH. 87 still ain’t bad though. Nice run, man!
Yeah I'm surprised too, they are doing it great so far 😎
Yes that would be awesome if they had done that 😎

Back