Typhon Power cutting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephenSchandelmayer

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Gorgon
  2. Mojave 4s
  3. Outcast 4s
  4. Typhon 6s
Hey fellas, I built a typhon 3s for street purposes and it's got a blx 185 and a tp 2650 kv motor running 4s. I also made it run mod 1 gearing so it's got a 39 spur and 25 pinion. My question is at low speeds if I get on the throttle too much it just cuts the power but if I ease into it then I can get on it and fly. So my question is why might it be cutting? Nature of the gearing? Esc limitations?

Appreciate the input

ESCs can handle 0-70% and 100% throttle very good. The 70% upwards to 99% is tricky if the Amps are too high. Especially if the brushless motor only has a few windings. It might be the problem. Just know the problem from Hotliner Aeroplanes.

Schulze-Elektronik in Germany had some info on this. They used to build high end aeroplane ESCs.

ESCs can handle 0-70% and 100% throttle very good. The 70% upwards to 99% is tricky if the Amps are too high. It might be the problem. Just know the problem from Hotliner Aeroplanes.

Schulze-Elektronik in Germany had some info on this. They used to build high end aeroplane ESCs.
Well it does cut at high speeds as well, when I'm at pretty much 100% throttle but I know that's gatta be the esc over amping and cutting. But I'm just wanting to know for sure why it's cutting at low speeds. I'm guessing it is just geared so high so the low end just skips a beat or something? Not enough torque? Idk. That's why I'm here.
I'd be interested to see what you used to get to a 39t spur gear
It took some custom building and used some ideas from a YouTube video but I had a 39 tooth pinion with 8mm bore sitting in my room that I wasn't using and basically attached the two sides of the slipper to it so it doesn't do any slipping anymore but it works perfectly. Other than the fact that I can't use the plastic housing that goes on the back of it lol but it doesn't matter too much

Hey fellas, I built a typhon 3s for street purposes and it's got a blx 185 and a tp 2650 kv motor running 4s. I also made it run mod 1 gearing so it's got a 39 spur and 25 pinion. My question is at low speeds if I get on the throttle too much it just cuts the power but if I ease into it then I can get on it and fly. So my question is why might it be cutting? Nature of the gearing? Esc limitations?

Appreciate the input
My issue is different from yours on my Typhon TLR. Running the 2050kv with Firma150 and it would cut out while running that could be between 0-70% throttle. Running it on 4S with the second battery terminal blocked off, oh and 19T pinion so I'm pushing it.

I never could find a fix...changing the punch other items that powered even BEC did not make a difference. I bought a Max8 ESC replaced it been good since. So something about the FIRMA ESC is still unknown.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back