Power driver? What do you use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up the 4V Ryobi Hp44L cordless screwdriver. It's small, easy to handle, has decent torque and uses a 1/4 chuck. I didn't want anything bigger cause I already have a decent Milwaukee Cordeless drill. I also picked up an Align screwdriver from my LHS, mostly for the hardened steel bits. Came with 1.5mm, 2mm, 2,5mm and 3mm hex speed bits that slide right into the new Ryobi. Not MIP this time, but from what I've read, still decent set of bits. I always start removing and finish tightening with a regular driver anyways. I don't trust myself to not strip or over tighten screws when using an electric tool.

Get a power driver with a clutch, so you can adjust the torque setting to something that won't strip. Most popular with the RC crowd is the Hitachi DB3DL2. Comes with 2 batteries, so you're never out of power accidentally.

Milwaukee m12 and two m12 bats. works for me also. I know it saved my hand/wrist as well as many hours building my Tekno MT410 kit.
Cost is $99. at The Home Depot. That is costly for some I agree. I got it mainly for household and auto repairs. All my power tools are Milwaukee.
But any 1/4" chuck driver with at least 12 volts and a torque adjustment will suffice for RC maintenance. I have a Ryobi 4 volt and find it doesn't drive screws well enough. I feel 12 volts is the sweet spot especially when screwing in new parts or removing tightly threaded hardware that has been threadlocked.

Last edited:
Get a power driver with a clutch, so you can adjust the torque setting to something that won't strip. Most popular with the RC crowd is the Hitachi DB3DL2. Comes with 2 batteries, so you're never out of power accidentally.
Hitachi has been rebranded to Metabo. Same tools for now and that model is what I’m waiting for to arrive

Milwaukee m12 and two m12 bats. works for me also. I know it saved my hand/wrist as well as many hours building my Tekno MT410 kit.
Cost is $99. at The Home Depot. That is costly for some I agree. I got it mainly for household and auto repairs. All my power tools are Milwaukee.
But any 1/4" chuck driver with at least 12 volts and a torque adjustment will suffice for RC maintenance. I have a Ryobi 4 volt and find it doesn't drive screws well enough. I feel 12 volts is the sweet spot especially when screwing in new parts or removing tightly threaded hardware that has been threadlocked.
I have the M12 as well, the driver with the clutch. Been holding up great for a few years.

Like Forker45 said, MIP Driver tips although costly (and Hand drivers) all the way no matter what power driver you like to use. I tried them all.... It just pays to not skimp on the Hex drivers.. from 30 years past I learned this. :)

Hey man my local menards has the metabos in off the truck. I was interested in a Dewalt 8v gyro but been seeing say they like these DB3DL2 is it any good under 4 volts has me concerned lack of power even on RC
Mine was a little delayed but it arrived. Working great!

This is what I use and it's great, plus I use it around the house for stuff all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF680N2-Gyroscopic-Screwdriver-Battery/dp/B00DL7QDS2
Just got one of these too. Gyro is great, all that pushing a button for reverse is so taxing:). Really though, it works wonderfully for rc repair.
Wanted that Ryobi listed above but can only find the TEK4 with magnetic chuck which is a deal breaker for me. the MIPS drivers fit so nice and tight in screws the bit pulls out of the magnet types. Looks like the Canadian models has the nicer chuck.

I use a Milwaukee M12 driver at work and cant say enough good things about it. Long battery life, love the adjustable torque settings, comfortable and proven to be quality since its used every day for years now without issue. Comes with second battery too. If i were looking currently id tske a serious look at the new mikitas. Smaller, lightweight, powerful and super comfortable. Then again if theres a low budget why not try out that harbor freight driver for $9? Amazing deal although no adjustable torque settings. It does the main job of rotating the bit in. You can manually adjust torque with a hand driver after. I going to give it a try and if i don't like it ill pass it to my mom for around the house stuff. A win , win.

You might not believe this, but I've had one of these Black & Deckers for at least 15 years, and it's still working! Never had a battery change or nothing. Always works when I pick it up. Since I got into this hobby, and use it a lot more than I used to, I ordered a second one, just in case the original decides to die. Best rechargeable device I've ever owned.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GFINJ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That was one of the first ones I got quite a few years back. Died on me after 6 months or so of frequent use.

This is a cheap $35 black and decker cordless driver. All I can say is I have been astounded by it’s long life and long working capabilities. Was going to get a dedicated one for wrenching on the cars but after drilling about 100 screws into concrete each time I put up plywood for hurricanes (3times at least) made me just go with what works and what I had on hand. I think I got lucky

Attachments

• E03954D9-0FEA-4CB7-9311-DCF6B6F29AC8.jpeg
    E03954D9-0FEA-4CB7-9311-DCF6B6F29AC8.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 57
This is a cheap $35 black and decker cordless driver. All I can say is I have been astounded by it’s long life and long working capabilities. Was going to get a dedicated one for wrenching on the cars but after drilling about 100 screws into concrete each time I put up plywood for hurricanes (3times at least) made me just go with what works and what I had on hand. I think I got lucky
I just saw the post two up from mine. Almost the same thing ?

I guess it's luck or something. I've NEVER had good luck with anything cordless, until I was given that Black & Decker, I mentioned above. It still amazes me at how the battery has lasted all these years. That's why I just bought a second one, figured when I started bragging, it would take a dump. But also realized it's easier to have 2 units, each with a different hex driver, so you don't have to swap back and forth.With the Arrmas it seems 2, and 2 1/2 are the most used hex sizes. I just got some Wiha hex's from Germany, to try out, Tired of the cheap stuff rounding off.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back