Power driver? What do you use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just picked up this drill master for $7.99 after coupon after seeing it mentioned here. How can you go wrong just to try it out? 4.8 volts so decent power

I guess it's luck or something. I've NEVER had good luck with anything cordless, until I was given that Black & Decker, I mentioned above. It still amazes me at how the battery has lasted all these years.
Yeah, I burned up 2 of them, then asked my wife to get me the M12 for Christmas or my b-day and it's been working great for a few years. The B&D ones work well for what they are. Both of mine started slipping internally after a while.

Had a dewalt 7.2V one for quite a while before the M12. Had NiCAD packs as did my drill at the time. Once I went lithium with the drill, I got the M12 and lithium dremel as well shortly after. With a couple packs for each device, I have yet run into a situation where I was waiting for something to charge. I also got a milwaukee M12 saws all thing. It really needs a high capacity pack, but if I'm easy on the trigger, it does most jobs I need to do, vs pulling out the plug in jig saw.

Yeah these 4 and 7 volt power drivers easily burn up on many of these RC kits. I easily burned up one when I was building a HPI Baja 5B SS.

Since moving to a 12 volt it's been bulletproof.

Yeah these 4 and 7 volt power drivers easily burn up on many of these RC kits. I easily burned up one when I was building a HPI Baja 5B SS.

Since moving to a 12 volt it's been bulletproof.
Harbor just refunded my money for the drill master as it was on back order.
Maybe thats a sign telling me to buy an M12 :)

I never had a 4 volt tool but someone here mentioned that it might not cut it power wise for arrma. Looks like a really nice kit though. Price is kinda too high for a no namer but if thats the price point you want to buy at try it out. Its a roll of the dice

I just received a similar one from Amazon with 6 torque settings and used it to install a TBR rear wheelie bar and bumper.
Worked fine and has plenty of grunt for that.

The 4v is just them stretching the 3.7v nominal to the 4v max charge.

I dislike using the things for screwing into plastic but some of these screws are long and hand jobbing things would wear out my hand and cut time for my other uses for said hand.

I set the torque to where it will screw the screws in almost tight and finish by hand.

You might be able to get away with using this for light duty stuff, but in my opinion I would not waste my time or money on any 4v pocket driver.
I went through 2 or 3 of those, ended up with a dewalt 7.2V for quite a while, it had NiCAD in it I think, then go the milwaukee M12. The lithium just does such a better job at delivering constant power/speed. Also doesn't have that half charged memory that made cordless tools useless many years ago.

I went through 2 or 3 of those, ended up with a dewalt 7.2V for quite a while, it had NiCAD in it I think, then go the milwaukee M12. The lithium just does such a better job at delivering constant power/speed. Also doesn't have that half charged memory that made cordless tools useless many years ago.
An old saying comes to mind - "buy first what you'd buy last because you'll save a ton of money in the long run."

Anyone have the m12 2 speed hex driver?
Im curious how compares to the singke speed hex driver

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Drilling/Drill-Drivers/2406-20
Guess I know what I'll get if my old M12 ever dies.

I just got a 3/8 dual speed M12 drill to use instead of my old B&D 12V lithium. I've used it a few times already and it's very nice. Much nicer chuck as well. Tightens down way harder than the B&D did. Not bad for $35 off ebay!
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Drilling/2407-20

I got a couple knock off M12 packs off amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FKH2PGR

I've run them both dead in the drill, took a while even running high speed and under load. I wore an oven mitt and held the chuck to give a bit of resistance... my hand got very hot, but I wanted to run them both down and fully charge both to make sure they took a good charge. Have only had them a week or so, but they seem to be working well. I have one on the drill and one on my driver. I put the old smaller M12 on my saws all and one left in the charger.

Update on my new m12 driver.
Oddly I loved it at work but I see it differently at home when using on my rig.
The clutch at work I set to 4 and usually screwing down metal to metal and always with metals screws and threads.
Using it on the kraton with metal screws into plastic.... A little sketchy.
I set the clutch to its lowest setting and its not low enough.
Sad because I really like it but I'm not going to use it anymore for this truck. I have my other 14.4 volt driver with a wide clutch setting range that works perfectly.
I can't say that I would recommend this driver to anyone using it for RC.
What I can say is every time I walk into HD I pick up the new makita driver set... Super small and lite weight. Maybe if I see a coupon I'll try it out

Update on my new m12 driver.
Oddly I loved it at work but I see it differently at home when using on my rig.
The clutch at work I set to 4 and usually screwing down metal to metal and always with metals screws and threads.
Using it on the kraton with metal screws into plastic.... A little sketchy.
Yeah, the lowest setting is just a hair too much for short M3 screws, especially if your running at full trigger. Seems ok on 12mm+ ones though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back