Typhon Power recommendations - Typhon 6S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are better chargers out there, but for the money it’s tough to beat this one. Dual charging, storage charging, battery discharging, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/SKYRC-LiIon-...mzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc
Pick up a couple balance boards and charging connectors for whatever batteries you need and you’re good to go.
https://www.amazon.com/Apex-RC-Prod...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
https://www.amazon.com/Connector-Ba...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Yep that's the best budget charger, but a single channel 50W charger is too limited for large, diffreent batteries imho.
A 3s 7200mah is 90Wh so it takes nearly two hours to be charged and the time doubles if you put two in parallel. Plus he has different lipos to charge and can't put them all in parallel so multiple long charging sessions are needed.
For this usage is much better to invest the para-board money on a multi-channel charger imho, considering that a safe para-.board could cost even 30-40$. Cheap ones are dangerous in my experience and I trashed a lot of them over the years: one of them outputted reduced, reverse polarity on the main connector out of the box, others burnt traces, others again simply had resetting-fuses not opening when needed.

EDIT: I just noticed you linked balance boards, not para-board, my bad. But still...why should he use balance boards? That charger already have 2-6s balance ports

Yep that's the best budget charger, but a single channel 50W charger is too limited for large, diffreent batteries imho.
A 3s 7200mah is 90Wh so it takes nearly two hours to be charged and the time doubles if you put two in parallel. Plus he has different lipos to charge and can't put them all in parallel so multiple long charging sessions are needed.
Yes, they’re slow. If you can plan for longer charging sessions though you just potentially saved $200.00+ from a nice and powerful multi channel charger.
If my 12 year old nephew comes over and says, “Must. Bash. Now!!” I say “sit your happy ass down and do your homework while we wait for the batteries to charge.”
If coming up from storage charge I can charge two 5200mah 4-6s packs in about an hour, so it really ain’t that bad. I have a massive 9800mah 6s pack that takes a lot longer.

Yes, they’re slow. If you can plan for longer charging sessions though you just potentially saved $200.00+ from a nice and powerful multi channel charger.
If my 12 year old nephew comes over and says, “Must. Bash. Now!!” I say “sit your happy ass down and do your homework while we wait for the batteries to charge.”
If coming up from storage charge I can charge two 5200mah 4-6s packs in about an hour, so it really ain’t that bad. I have a massive 9800mah 6s pack that takes a lot longer.
Totally agree, just pointed that out so that the OP knows it before buying.
Anyway some ToolkitRC 4 channels come at a very interesting price point, about 100$ for 50Wx4 and everyone I know that has them is really happy, Obviusly they're not as cheap as the B6.
I leave a link to one here
https://it.banggood.com/ToolkitRC-Q...oDTMgheG6RBPHd5-ftSHcpM_ZZLbcRtRoCr1EQAvD_BwE

So I've had the 6s for a few days and picked up a Hoovo cheap to run it on 4s for now. The car is awesome, love the components and solid feel that some of the extra metal provides. On rougher terrain it feels much more grounded and I've barely been getting any traction rolls in the grass. Measuring 138mm L x 47mm W x 47mm H, the 4s pack fits nicely. But even with this relatively compact hard case 4s battery, it's a bit of a puzzle to route the wires in a way that they don't interfere with the body or other interior parts. I've tried several different pairs of 3s packs and cannot get them to fit - sometimes off by just 1-2mm in width. On the other hand, packs that are a little more narrow tend to be taller, causing clearance issues with the body. I've found that even though the battery tray can slide up to 70mm H in the front, anything much taller than 52mm is going to rub on the body at the outside back corner of the battery - the corner near the "drivers side" back wheel.

Honestly, the fact that battery fitment in the 6s is so tight, even while significantly underpowering the car with a 4s battery, has been frustrating. I can drop a 3s into the 3s Typhon in 20 seconds and be driving. Wires tucked neatly, no hassle, and the 3s Typhon is basically the same speed as the 6s running on 4s. There's really no reason Arrma couldn't have made the slightest design of changes to provide 5-10mm of additional clearance along the back outside of the battery tray/packs.

A few folks above commented on the preference or need to just run single packs, which I'm doing while on 4s. For me, I think this is the only answer, as I run into too many limitations trying to run two 3s packs. I've decided to pick up the charger linked by Dan B and a relatively compact 6s battery and give it a shot. If everything works out with that set up, I'll just commit to running single packs on 4s and 6s and probably modify the wiring to just have the one battery lead. An extra plug and length of wire going unused takes up valuable space under the body, where it's already an issue.

I still plan on using the Spektrum charger and packs on the 3s Typhon, and it's a good system for my son to use with his Vorteks. I wont have to worry about how he manages the charging/storage process with him using the Smart system, and I'll have the two chargers to help alleviate having to wait on one pack at a time.

So I've had the 6s for a few days and picked up a Hoovo cheap to run it on 4s for now. The car is awesome, love the components and solid feel that some of the extra metal provides. On rougher terrain it feels much more grounded and I've barely been getting any traction rolls in the grass. Measuring 138mm L x 47mm W x 47mm H, the 4s pack fits nicely. But even with this relatively compact hard case 4s battery, it's a bit of a puzzle to route the wires in a way that they don't interfere with the body or other interior parts. I've tried several different pairs of 3s packs and cannot get them to fit - sometimes off by just 1-2mm in width. On the other hand, packs that are a little more narrow tend to be taller, causing clearance issues with the body. I've found that even though the battery tray can slide up to 70mm H in the front, anything much taller than 52mm is going to rub on the body at the outside back corner of the battery - the corner near the "drivers side" back wheel.

Honestly, the fact that battery fitment in the 6s is so tight, even while significantly underpowering the car with a 4s battery, has been frustrating. I can drop a 3s into the 3s Typhon in 20 seconds and be driving. Wires tucked neatly, no hassle, and the 3s Typhon is basically the same speed as the 6s running on 4s. There's really no reason Arrma couldn't have made the slightest design of changes to provide 5-10mm of additional clearance along the back outside of the battery tray/packs.

A few folks above commented on the preference or need to just run single packs, which I'm doing while on 4s. For me, I think this is the only answer, as I run into too many limitations trying to run two 3s packs. I've decided to pick up the charger linked by Dan B and a relatively compact 6s battery and give it a shot. If everything works out with that set up, I'll just commit to running single packs on 4s and 6s and probably modify the wiring to just have the one battery lead. An extra plug and length of wire going unused takes up valuable space under the body, where it's already an issue.

I still plan on using the Spektrum charger and packs on the 3s Typhon, and it's a good system for my son to use with his Vorteks. I wont have to worry about how he manages the charging/storage process with him using the Smart system, and I'll have the two chargers to help alleviate having to wait on one pack at a time.
What I do for more clearance under my Typhons is to only use the TOP bolt in the rear shock tower going into the BOTTOM hole in the body mounts. This gives you a little more room & it's plenty strong enough to hold the rear of the body. I've also cut a straight post off flat, longer than the stock, & used it in the front location 😉🤷‍♂️

As I patiently await my Skyrc B6 and 6s battery, I had both Typhons out for a quick asphalt run, both on their stock pinions. For fun, I attached my Garmin Edge 200 cycling GPS to get some speed info. Interestingly, the Typhon 3s clocked in at 46.37 MPH while the Typhon 6s on 4s power clocked in at 45.89 MPH.

Very curious to see what the change to a 6s power source will do for the top speed on the stock pinion. Since I run both of them on and off road for now, I'm leaving the stock pinions in. I was very pleased with the solid feel and durability of the 6s during a grass and gravel bash with some decent natural jumps. I'm leaning towards keeping that one set up for the rigors of off road and converting the Typhon 3s to more of a road oriented car, maybe drop the ride height and put on some Duratrax Banditos.

I had the Typhon out on 6s for the first time today, on road at an empty office park with fresh pavement. Still on the stock 15T pinion, it topped out at 65.52 mph according to the Garmin Edge. It was insanely fast and a little squirrelly at top speed - I ended up slightly grazing a curb once because I wasn’t used to the weight and speed combo. I also went a little hard on acceleration and brakes and almost balded the middles of both front tires.

I’ve got new Katar B tires on order from Jenny’s as well as a set of the Typhon TLR tires to try out as well. Ultimately I’m not sure I can run this on the street much on 6s as I have a feeling it’ll just eat tires.

I probably have some learning and experimenting to do, though. If I’m balding the centers of the front tires, is that due to ballooning during acceleration? Is it a toe in/out adjustment needed? Center diff not dialed in correctly? I was also surprised by the amount of understeer I experienced, but that might just be a result of speed and weight in cornering.

(Edited for spelling)

Last edited:
I had the Typhon out on 6s for the first time today, on road at an empty office part with fresh pavement. Still on the stock 15T pinion, it topped out at 65.52 mph according to the Garmin Edge. It was insanely fast and a little squirrelly at top speed - I ended up slightly crazing a curb once because I wasn’t used to the weight and speed combo. I also went a little hard on acceleration and brakes and almost balded the middles of both front tires.

I’ve got new Katar B tires on order from Jenny’s as well as a set of the Typhon TLR tires to try out as well. Ultimately I’m not sure I can run this on the street much on 6s as I have a feeling it’ll just eat tires.

I probably have some learning and experimenting to do, though. If I’m balding the centers of the front tires, is that due to ballooning during acceleration? Is it a toe in/out adjustment needed? Center diff not dialed in correctly? I was also surprised by the amount of understeer I experienced, but that might just be a result of speed and weight in cornering.
Totally expected, try grps. Typhon is a beast 😍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back