Typhon Power recommendations - Typhon 6S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrushlessHead

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I couldn’t resist the Horizon sale on the Typhon 6S and put an order in this evening. I have a Typhon 3S that I am enjoying, but kept finding myself looking at parts here and there to upgrade. Upgraded shocks alone would pretty much put me over the sale price of the 6S, so I jumped at the deal. Part of the draw was some beefier components and also my twisted logic: “If I’m this happy with the Typhon 3S, imagine how much happier I’ll be with double the S!” Lol 😂

I’m looking for recommendations on how to best power the incoming 6S Typhon and would ideally not need to buy another charger.

Here’s what I already have:

2 - Spektrum Smart 2S, 5000 mAh, 30C packs
1 - Spektrum Smart 3S, 5000 mAh, 50C
1 - Powerhobby Pro 3S, 5200 mAh, 50C
1 - Spectrum S155 charger, handles up to 4S.

I was thinking of buying one more Spektrum 3S and/or Powerhobby 3S pack and running the matched pair together for 6S. But 50C enough to get the job done?

(I would also grab a 4S pack to run the Typhon on that as well, but am curious about best 6S solutions.)

Is this a good plan? Or do I need to buy a new pair of 3S packs with a higher mAh and C rating? Are there any drawbacks to running two 3S vs one 6S pack?

Thanks, everyone!

I just find it easier myself to just run a 6S battery. I think we all 3 Typhons and I rip the TLR pretty hard. I put 200K diff fluid in the center for better traction. I’m pretty new but if you put the time in? You can learn a lot. But I’m just replying about the batteries lol. 6s all the way. And yes. It’ll get it done but cmon. Throw a 120 C monster MaH battery and hold on.
EDIT: Advantage is not be battery 🪫 is easily changed. You carry less batteries and when you buy a Talion EXB? (Mine hits about 70) or Krayton 6S? You already have the batteries to run em. I bought a Talion EXB. A Fireteam a month later. Then the 3S Typhon and TLR. Now I have a Losi DXBL 1/5 scale on a fed ex truck.

Hopefully you can control yourself l! 😂🤷🏻‍♂️😁

Last edited:
Hi all,

So I couldn’t resist the Horizon sale on the Typhon 6S and put an order in this evening. I have a Typhon 3S that I am enjoying, but kept finding myself looking at parts here and there to upgrade. Upgraded shocks alone would pretty much put me over the sale price of the 6S, so I jumped at the deal. Part of the draw was some beefier components and also my twisted logic: “If I’m this happy with the Typhon 3S, imagine how much happier I’ll be with double the S!” Lol 😂

I’m looking for recommendations on how to best power the incoming 6S Typhon and would ideally not need to buy another charger.

I was thinking of buying one more Spektrum 3S and/or Powerhobby 3S pack and running the matched pair together for 6S. But 50C enough to get the job done?

(I would also grab a 4S pack to run the Typhon on that as well, but am curious about best 6S solutions.)

Is this a good plan? Or do I need to buy a new pair of 3S packs with a higher mAh and C rating? Are there any drawbacks to running two 3S vs one 6S pack?

Thanks, everyone!
Personally, I've never run 2 batteries in a car so you can take this how you like. I think that it's recommended that you run 2 batteries that are same, spec wise, but also with the same amount of cycles on them as well, so one isn't working harder than the other. The typhon will be setup to possibly run 2 batteries, but then space really becomes a limiting factor because of the extremely tight quarters under the body. So it would be possible to run your pair of 2s batteries in series, assuming they're matched in charge/discharge cycles. My recommendation would be just to buy a new 6S battery & save the others for your 3S buggy. Hopefully this helps & enjoy the new rig!!!🙂👍🤘

I prefer running mine on a single 4s battery. If you insist on 6s, you should get a single battery. Check the dimensions to make sure It fits in the tray.
But seriously, you should try 4s. Still fast as hell and easier on the diffs.
See if you can cram both of your 2s packs in there. If they fit you might never look back.

Wow, you all are awesome! Thanks for all the replies and info so far. Sounds like single packs in a car is the preference, which I can understand. I’ll still have the Typhon 3S and my son’s Vorteks Boost that’s fully converted to brushless 4x4 to use the existing packs.

Based on the advice so far, I’m leaning towards grabbing a good 4S pack initially. I’ll measure the battery tray and look into some good 6S packs and chargers, not rush anything as that can be a bit pricey.

Still interested in hearing others’ opinions if there are some other considerations or lessons learned from your experiences. Thanks again!

When I 1st got my 1st Typhon, I tried 2 3s batts (that was all I had at the time) and they wouldn't fit under the body. Go 1 6s. So much easier to deal with. (y)

I'm a fan of SMC batteries and always recommend them. Don't try to stack batteries, there's just not enough room under the small Typhon body. I also agree with @Dan B. - 4s all the way. 6s is fun in the Typhon if you're doing straight line speed runs & drag racing, otherwise its a crazy machine on 6s.

4s all the way. 6s is fun in the Typhon if you're doing straight line speed runs & drag racing, otherwise its a crazy machine on 6s.
Unless you truggify it...then 6s ALL THE WAY!!! 🤪 (y) ✌️(or street bashing......6s again)

I'm a fan of SMC batteries and always recommend them. Don't try to stack batteries, there's just not enough room under the small Typhon body. I also agree with @Dan B. - 4s all the way. 6s is fun in the Typhon if you're doing straight line speed runs & drag racing, otherwise its a crazy machine on 6s.
Yes!!! I go balls to the wall like a raped ape-6s all the way, we all need some craziness!!😁🤪🤘🤘

Yes!!! I go balls to the wall like a raped ape-6s all the way, we all need some craziness!!😁🤪🤘🤘
I'm with you bro, I could understand if it was some technical track racing or something but even when I drive my 4s typhon and kraton 4s v2 it just aint the same lol. I think the only reason I'm even considering it on the new typhon I'm building is because I have a 3700kv motor I could use and that will go fast on any voltage :ROFLMAO:

Hi all,

Thanks, everyone!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3836254202...7Xo_xNoQbW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I run 2 of these they fit perfectly stacked one on top of the other and the battery cables don't interfere with the straps. I want to say these batteries were designed to fit this car

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3836254202...7Xo_xNoQbW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I run 2 of these they fit perfectly stacked one on top of the other and the battery cables don't interfere with the straps. I want to say these batteries were designed to fit this car

Ah, very cool. I’ve heard overall good things about Zeee, especially for the price. And this would keep me from having to get a new charger.

I don’t have a problem with soft packs since I’m not (intentionally) super rough on these things. I’m not planning massive jumps with the Typhon, so this may be a good budget friendly option for the immediate future.

Took my 3S Typhon out today to a large park with rolling hills and it was a blast. I can not wait to see how the 6S beast Typhon handles that terrain.

My 2 cents:
- Single packs are preferrable since they're lighter and smaller. The difference is not that much anyway. Another advantage is that you need to charge just one battery at a time instead of two.
- When using more cars, depending on the lipo each of them use, could be more convenient to have separate packs so they can be used on smaller cars.
- 50c is enough
- Your batteries batteries are quite expensive, what about these?
https://chinahobbyline.com/products...ery-with-ec5-plug?_pos=6&_sid=e81b1abde&_ss=r
Or, if you have a good reason to go with double packs:
https://chinahobbyline.com/products...-battery-with-ec5-plug?variant=42646843097302

These lipos can be found also on most rc store, I use this brand from a long time and it can be trusted

My 2 cents:
- Single packs are preferrable since they're lighter and smaller. The difference is not that much anyway. Another advantage is that you need to charge just one battery at a time instead of two.
- When using more cars, depending on the lipo each of them use, could be more convenient to have separate packs so they can be used on smaller cars.
- 50c is enough
- Your batteries batteries are quite expensive, what about these?
https://chinahobbyline.com/products...ery-with-ec5-plug?_pos=6&_sid=e81b1abde&_ss=r
Or, if you have a good reason to go with double packs:
https://chinahobbyline.com/products...-battery-with-ec5-plug?variant=42646843097302

These lipos can be found also on most rc store, I use this brand from a long time and it can be trusted
Thanks for your thoughts and experience here. I agree that a single pack is simplest for use, charging, battery maintenance. I’m just trying to incorporate as much of what I already have at the moment while jumping up to a 6S system. Do you have advice on a good charger that isn’t going to break the bank? I think my S155 was $60 and its functions for non-Smart packs is limited. It also only charges up to 4S.

The battery packs I have were picked up from the LHS and I didn’t really know what to look for, if shopping on my own online. As I’m learning more and becoming more confident in what I’m looking at and understanding tech specs I’m reading, I do recognize that I’ve overpaid on some of that stuff. But I also spent a lot of time discussing things with the guys at the shop and supported their business, so not all bad. Just not cheapest.

Thanks for your thoughts and experience here. I agree that a single pack is simplest for use, charging, battery maintenance. I’m just trying to incorporate as much of what I already have at the moment while jumping up to a 6S system. Do you have advice on a good charger that isn’t going to break the bank? I think my S155 was $60 and its functions for non-Smart packs is limited. It also only charges up to 4S.

The battery packs I have were picked up from the LHS and I didn’t really know what to look for, if shopping on my own online. As I’m learning more and becoming more confident in what I’m looking at and understanding tech specs I’m reading, I do recognize that I’ve overpaid on some of that stuff. But I also spent a lot of time discussing things with the guys at the shop and supported their business, so not all bad. Just not cheapest.
I'm currently using a SkyRC Q200 but I don't raccommend it, the FW is crappy and the calibration is trash out of the box.
In the last couple years ToolkitRC chargers grown a lot of popularity and seem to work well for a very nice price. I'd take a look at those.
ISDT chargers are very good too but more expensive.
Just to let you know, the best chargers you can buy are iCharger, but the prices...eeeh....could go up to 200$ for a single channel charger, I own a X6 and it's the best charger I can imagine.

Last edited:
Thanks again to everyone! I’ve gotten so much good info and it’s helped me sort out my battery options. Typhon 6s should be delivered today and I’m beyond excited. I may not get it out since it’ll be a high of 28, but I’ll be able to check it over and test some battery fitment. I snagged a couple different pairs of 3s packs via Amazon since I can return them easily (obviously won’t charge/use should they not fit). Zeee 52000 mAh 120C and Hoovo 7200 100C, both soft packs. According to the specs, they’re pretty compact and should work…we shall see.

I’m thinking about what do to with the Typhon 3s. Maybe convert it to another LWB 3s model, or change tires and tune it more for street and smooth off-road use, or I could just keep it as is because it’s still an awesome car.

My last predicament is still this pesky Spektrum S155 charger. It’s awesome for Smart batteries up to 4S and I get why the LHS guys recommended it to me, as I was buying a 2s LiPo for the first time and it’s a fool proof system.

But even buying 3s batteries that the charger can handle to power 6s platform vehicles, there is no function/setting to perform a storage charge for non-Smart batteries. I can’t change the charge voltage to 3.8V so it’ll stop at that level either. I think my only option would be to start with a used battery, initiate a charge, and babysit the charger until I see the 3 cells are all at 3.8. Then stop the charge manually at that point. Hmmm.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back