Power supply suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the firmware update is available on hitecs website. On the website it strongly urges you to make sure the firmware is up to date on that charger before using it for LiPO batteries. If you don't update the firmware I believe I read you could have an issue with a lipo battery catching fire.
Fire? Run! Now if that doesn't scare people away...Hitec, not good. I don't like!

Although I've only had my Turnigy Reaktor charger for about 4 months so far, I am quite happy with it. I like it better than my Thunder Power 0620 AC charger, as it's very accurate, a bit faster, has a better "push" button feel, has 3 decimal points instead of 2, and it is even easier to operate. I also like that it is the V2 version with the updated software and can even charge the new LiHV Lipos if I ever need to. For under $65, hard to beat for 20a/300w power, especially if you parallel charge.

Last edited:
I know this thread is older but I’ve never used a power supply to power a charger yet and have a quick

I just bought the Hitec x2 700 - long story shorten.. I didn’t realize it was a DC only charger. So I’m going to do the power supply option. I have a 500watt atx power supply from my old gaming pc. Is that enough to power this battery charger?

I see some 2-300watt power supplies for lower watt chargers. I’m just hoping it’s not too much power to use on this charger.

Thanks

I know this thread is older but I’ve never used a power supply to power a charger yet and have a quick

I just bought the Hitec x2 700 - long story shorten.. I didn’t realize it was a DC only charger. So I’m going to do the power supply option. I have a 500watt atx power supply from my old gaming pc. Is that enough to power this battery charger?

I see some 2-300watt power supplies for lower watt chargers. I’m just hoping it’s not too much power to use on this charger.

Thanks
You can use it on the X2 700. You will only be able to use up to 500 watts though and it will fry the power supply or it will go into over current protection. You can go into the settings on the X2 and turn the max wattage down to match your power supply. Fully powered that charger will need 1,400 watts as it can charge 700 watts per channel.

As long as it can supply enough power on the 12v rails, I would think that would work.

HP DPS-600PB server power supplies work (I believe there are also higher wattage variants), you can easily find instructions with Google.

You can use it on the X2 700. You will only be able to use up to 500 watts though and it will fry the power supply or it will go into over current protection. You can go into the settings on the X2 and turn the max wattage down to match your power supply. Fully powered that charger will need 1,400 watts as it can charge 700 watts per channel.

Thank you, I was afraid of that :x

I may try to return it and grab something else.. When I bought the charger I should have read the fine print and saw that it was DC only lol.

2 weeks ago they sold me a venom duo 80x2 and it was enough to charge the 3s 5200 batteries but maxes out at 7amps and takes a bit to charge my 7600mah 3s batteries. Same with my 6500 4s batteries.

I’m looking for something to charge these bigger batteries at 1c and not struggle at all.

I’m 2 weeks into the electric rc platform. My kraton 6s v4 and 8s are my first 2 electric bashers. I’m picking up on everything rather quickly. But I’m still learning what watts I’ll need to charge different batteries.
As long as it can supply enough power on the 12v rails, I would think that would work.

HP DPS-600PB server power supplies work (I believe there are also higher wattage variants), you can easily find instructions with Google.

I like the idea of being able to charge my batteries on the fly if I needed too. But wish it had a ac power cord to go with the dc battery clamps. I may try setting the max watt setting to 500 250 per side and see if it’s enough to charge the bigger batteries. But once remove all the plastic I can’t return it haha

Last edited:
Thank you, I was afraid of that :x

I may try to return it and grab something else.. When I bought the charger I should have read the fine print and saw that it was DC only lol.

2 weeks ago they sold me a venom duo 80x2 and it was enough to charge the 3s 5200 batteries but maxes out at 7amps and takes a bit to charge my 7600mah 3s batteries. Same with my 6500 4s batteries.

I’m looking for something to charge these bigger batteries at 1c and not struggle at all.

I’m 2 weeks into the electric rc platform. My kraton 6s v4 and 8s are my first 2 electric bashers. I’m picking up on everything rather quickly. But I’m still learning what watts I’ll need to charge different batteries.

I like the idea of being able to charge my batteries on the fly if I needed too. But wish it had a ac power cord to go with the dc battery clamps. I may try setting the max watt setting to 500 250 per side and see if it’s enough to charge the bigger batteries. But once remove all the plastic I can’t return it haha
It's a great charger. I have had one for a few years and love it. Once I went to DC chargers I honestly won't go back to AC chargers, especially dealing with 4s, 6s and 8s vehicles. Seems like all of the higher powered chargers are all DC.

The AC chargers are more expensive and if the internal power supply goes out, you need a new charger. With DC they are separate and if the power supply goes out, you buy a new power supply.

But if isn't what you want, you should return it and get what you want. Just an FYI, to charge a 6s, 5000mah battery at 1C you will need about 130 watts per channel.

It's a great charger. I have had one for a few years and love it. Once I went to DC chargers I honestly won't go back to AC chargers, especially dealing with 4s, 6s and 8s vehicles. Seems like all of the higher powered chargers are all DC.

The AC chargers are more expensive and if the internal power supply goes out, you need a new charger. With DC they are separate and if the power supply goes out, you buy a new power supply.

But if isn't what you want, you should return it and get what you want. Just an FYI, to charge a 6s, 5000mah battery at 1C you will need about 130 watts per channel.

Yeah I really want to keep it but can’t justify it lol. I have 3 sets of 4’s 6500mah batteries and 3 sets of the 3’s 7600mah batteries. I probably wont bash more than that per day between both rigs lol

I’m on my way to exchange the Hitec for a Passport 200x2 Charger. That should be plenty to do my 4s batteries or a 6s or 2 in the future

Yeah I really want to keep it but can’t justify it lol. I have 3 sets of 4’s 6500mah batteries and 3 sets of the 3’s 7600mah batteries. I probably wont bash more than that per day between both rigs lol

I’m on my way to exchange the Hitec for a Passport 200x2 Charger. That should be plenty to do my 4s batteries or a 6s or 2 in the future
Which charger? The only passport 2 port I see is 2x100w. Would take quite a while to charge up 6 sets (12) packs unless you had a charger capable of parallel charging your matched packs in pairs like I do on my larger charger.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back