Power supply

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave EXB
  2. Outcast 6s
Can I use an underpowered power supply?
I'm talking about a 540w power supply combined with the isdt p20 duo charger (max. 800watts).
I'm thinking of charging 6S at max 9A (200 watts) and 4S at max 13,5A (200 watts)
I'm aware the if I go to high, my power supply probably won't like it.

I like the convenience of charging to batteries at the same over having to change the batteries.

I can't find the iSDT manuals, so I don't know if the charger requires a minimum input wattage.

Reason for choosing the P20 over the P10 model is the 1,5 balancing current and the convenience of charging two batteries at the same time.

Some specs from manufacturers website:
P20_8.jpg

Probably won't matter unless your PSU is 24V+. Most chargers show their max wattage from max voltage (or at least 24v). If your PSU is 12V, odds are, it won't let you go much over half what it's rated for anyway.

Get 2 of these, ground isolate one, then daisy chain them for a cheap 900W 24V 75A PSU:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Prolian...0451-101-DPS-1200FB-1-HSTNS-PD19/193742033537

2020-1117-24vPSU-HP-DPS-1200FB-1A.jpg
Thanks for the reply.
The power supply I'm talking about is 12-18v, with current of 30A.

I'm not planning to custum build my own power supply

Thanks for the reply.
The power supply I'm talking about is 12-18v, with current of 30A.

I'm not planning to custum build my own power supply
You can buy a decent 24V or even 36V from here:
http://lipoconnectionsolutions.com/36v-Power-Supplies_c15.htm

I got his 24V dell 71A, but the fans drove me nuts and I sold it on here I think. With no load (or less than 3A) on the PSU's, the fans ran at 100%. Sounded like twin hair dryers running amuck in my office the entire time I was discharging... horrible high pitch whine.

Then bought the HP ones off ebay and made my own. They are nearly silent when there's little load and not very loud at all even at 50% load.

A bit of a costly mistake on my part, just because I didn't want to live with the noise.

Currently I have a SkyRC Q200 quad charger.
I can use it in AC (200watts) and in DC (300watts)
I was thinking of buying the Isdt P20, to get to a total wattage of 600 by using the SkyRC

In my current setup the power supply only gives me a 100watts advantage. Thats the main reason for my question. Maybe I should have mentioned that in my first post....

I pulled the trigger and bought the P20 ?

I'll just see how it works with the power supply....

I might end up buying a 2nd one...
( assumimg I can hook up two of the same power supplies )
Make sure to check with the mfr of the supply. They may not like being daisy chained.

Make sure to check with the mfr of the supply. They may not like being daisy chained.
Thanks for the reply.
After some digging I came to the conclusion I'm not going to connect a 2nd supply. Mine has adjustable voltage ( turnigy 12-18v, 540w ) and what I've read is that they don't like being connected....

Well, I just went up from 200watts of charging capacity to about 600watts of charging capacity, that should be enough for a while ?

Thanks for the reply.
After some digging I came to the conclusion I'm not going to connect a 2nd supply. Mine has adjustable voltage ( turnigy 12-18v, 540w ) and what I've read is that they don't like being connected....

Well, I just went up from 200watts of charging capacity to about 600watts of charging capacity, that should be enough for a while ?
Yep. I should be as well with 24V/900w... I think that's how it works... not sure now. lol!

Back