Big Rock Power upgrade...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peteyk49

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Voltage
Did some tinkering with my sons brcc. I added the blx 185 Esc after 2 blx100 esc’s were faulty. Then he fried the max10sct 120a esc in water. I figured since the esc could handle a bigger motor, I put in a Queen Hobby Racing 3674 2950kv 2-4s motor and a 20t pinion... that should wake it up a bit!!! I need to find a better way to mount the esc but for now it’s ok. I had to put it on an angle... I added a longer screw and bushing going into the receiver box, and some heavy duty 3m Velcro to keep it in place. I also added the granite front bumper, lowered the wheelie bar and put 50w shock oil in the shocks... I’ll see how the gearing and temps go. I may have to get an adjustable motor mount to drop down a few teeth on the pinion..hopefully it will be enough to put a big grin on my 9yr old sons face when he comes over on Wednesday... I want him to smoke his buddies at RC club...We’ll run it on 3s to start... if it can handle the added power, I’ll get some 4s batteries... I have a 4s slipper setup ordered just in case the plastic spur bites the dust... I’ll probably order better axles too... trial and error.. bash, break, fix and repeat!!!!

Attachments

• 6FB808FA-5EB9-48A0-9A36-D9115DE42933.jpeg
    6FB808FA-5EB9-48A0-9A36-D9115DE42933.jpeg
    357.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 042552F6-F9D7-49AB-AA6D-610D870E4895.jpeg
    042552F6-F9D7-49AB-AA6D-610D870E4895.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 80
  • C265EC2B-6262-4C8C-9DCF-EC7E442E1747.jpeg
    C265EC2B-6262-4C8C-9DCF-EC7E442E1747.jpeg
    335.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 9D29F62A-FE7F-4DF0-A532-CA978D9C6F00.jpeg
    9D29F62A-FE7F-4DF0-A532-CA978D9C6F00.jpeg
    360.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 747C645E-8D27-4D9C-A495-9D96C1743762.jpeg
    747C645E-8D27-4D9C-A495-9D96C1743762.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 75
  • A17BCF9B-FF4E-4A3E-8693-FB4695F8FD49.jpeg
    A17BCF9B-FF4E-4A3E-8693-FB4695F8FD49.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 74
I’ve done this Sort off thing but with a 6S setup and the main thing is just don’t get to heavy on that plastic chassis because that’s when things start breaking way too much. 4S should be fine if your not jumping overly high in the air but don’t quote me on it?. Have fun with it.... they are beasts on higher power!!

I’ve done this Sort off thing but with a 6S setup and the main thing is just don’t get to heavy on that plastic chassis because that’s when things start breaking way too much. 4S should be fine if your not jumping overly high in the air but don’t quote me on it?. Have fun with it.... they are beasts on higher power!!
Haha I’ve seen your posts. 6s would be insane! If it wakes up enough on 3s, I’ll keep it there. But when my sons RC club is having races/freestyle at the 4H fair this summer, he’s gunna run 4s! I didn’t want to go too crazy on the torque and kept the kv’s high for running mostly 3s.

Haha I’ve seen your posts. 6s would be insane! If it wakes up enough on 3s, I’ll keep it there. But when my sons RC club is having races/freestyle at the 4H fair this summer, he’s gunna run 4s! I didn’t want to go too crazy on the torque and kept the kv’s high for running mostly 3s.
Yeah especially for racing, low KV is better so you have more control and aren’t doing a standing front flip just my trying to go forward??and just wondering where are you that they have like RC monster jams??

Yeah especially for racing, low KV is better so you have more control and aren’t doing a standing front flip just my trying to go forward??and just wondering where are you that they have like RC monster jams??
I’m in north NJ. My kids do 4H and they have an rc club. They basically build/customize rc’s, paint body’s etc. talk about how much of a hole they put in their dads wallets and bash at the farm. Once a year they have a big fair and put on a show for the crowd. They set up cones and jumps and a spot for drag races. We did it last year on a brushed stampede 2wd and my son was 8 and took 2nd overall out of 15-20kids... so I put in a 3s system for this year but, Santa decided it was time for him to go arrma! He has good control when running. Stock it was quick and would beat my Kraton 6s off the line. I want to put typhon shocks on it next..

I’m in north NJ. My kids do 4H and they have an rc club. They basically build/customize rc’s, paint body’s etc. talk about how much of a hole they put in their dads wallets and bash at the farm. Once a year they have a big fair and put on a show for the crowd. They set up cones and jumps and a spot for drag races. We did it last year on a brushed stampede 2wd and my son was 8 and took 2nd overall out of 15-20kids... so I put in a 3s system for this year but, Santa decided it was time for him to go arrma! He has good control when running. Stock it was quick and would beat my Kraton 6s off the line. I want to put typhon shocks on it next..
Dang if he managed 2nd with a Stampede 2wd he will probably get first easily now!! BRCC is a beast

I'm really curious what happens to when you have 20-tooth pion and a 4s engine ?? you don't see any videos on YouTube of a speedrun ?

I have a senton 3s myself and it already has a 20 tooth pion as standard ..
I also ordered everything myself to convert it to a 4s ? am now waiting until I have all the parts.
And can't wait to do some nice tinkering again and spray a new hood and all that sort of thing again

but let me know what he is doing and if it is not getting too hot and the gears keep it ?

I'm really curious what happens to when you have 20-tooth pion and a 4s engine ?? you don't see any videos on YouTube of a speedrun ?

I have a senton 3s myself and it already has a 20 tooth pion as standard ..
I also ordered everything myself to convert it to a 4s ? am now waiting until I have all the parts.
And can't wait to do some nice tinkering again and spray a new hood and all that sort of thing again

but let me know what he is doing and if it is not getting too hot and the gears keep it ?
I just ran a 5200mah 80c 3s pack thru it. I did lots of wot and it didn’t thermal. I hit LVC. The motor was pretty hot... hotter than I’d like but not thermal. I forgot to bring my temp gun with my but I’d say 135-140 degrees. I couldn’t get it full throttle on the driveway at work. I’ll have to find a place I can go flat out. I’m just glad it doesn’t cut out like the stock blx after a few minutes of hard running. It definitely has more power then before. I think with the bigger tires, a 17 tooth would be better. I’m gunna try the stock pinion and see how that goes before buying an adjustable motor mount. The tires ballon a lot. It will wheelie pretty much whenever. His buddies new traxxas Maxx better look out!! Haha

That's great? and tackle that Traxxas Maxx??

but now I am a noob or newbie just what you want to call it ? and am still trying to figure out how and what ?and learn about the hobby?

but what is lvc ? because i have no idea.
what temperature is important for your motor for example?

and how is it possible that if you take a higher pawn gear everything gets hotter ?. because you would still think that you make less revolution if your gear is bigger and therefore goes faster ? or is that the other way around.

LVC = low voltage cutoff... the stock 3s would think it hit LVC after a few minutes of hard running on a fully charged battery

I would like to see the temps never go above 130°F but that’s wishful thinking haha

The bigger pinion gear gives it a higher top speed. It also increases the RPM the motor is running at. The smaller the pinion, the more Twork they have but you sacrifice top speed. We are bashers and don’t necessarily need anything over 50 miles an hour but I was just testing the new electronics. I got a motor that had a longer can on it and less KV than stock. I was hoping it would keep the temps down. I’m sure if I go down a few teeth on the pinion, it will be much better.

ok and thank you ? but don't use a lipo alarm so you know when to stop because your battery is empty? or do you mean something else?
or does arrma perhaps have a special function that it automatically stops that I don't know about yet ??
because see nobody driving with a lipo alarm ?. I am the only one to do that ?
what they do use on an airplane ? can't wait to fly again ?

but will keep an eye on this topic ant because I'm really curious how it goes and what speed and temperature

I hope to reach a top speed of around 120 kilometers per hour ? but no idea how many miles that is? (because I am Dutch ?)
but that's pretty.
because the harder you go, the sooner it will break if you have an accident?

The esc has a low voltage cut off. The Arrma esc’s can’t be adjusted unless I’m missing something. Some aftermarket brand esc’s can be programmed to raise or lower the low voltage cut off point.

you don't mean that ? so stupid ? so I don't need a lipo alarm at all ? and he stops it automatically ? without damaging the battery ? I really didn't know that ?

but do you also know at which point that is? 3.40 per cell or is that 3.60 ??
and not that he pulls him too empty ...?
because I have 2 batteries that start to beep very quickly with my lipo alarm ? within minutes.
but then you look and he still has enough energy ?
but go try it next time antwant now wait for my blx120.
because thought to give a factory reset this weekend ?
because had bought a new remote control with receiver
I fiddled a bit to tie my remote control. in the end it succeeded "but no idea what I have changed in that esc"
and then he made no more noises when you turn it on ? so I thought reset it for a second, because now I know how to do it ?
but now I only have a red blinking light. can steer but cannot accelerate ? he releases and full throttle but reverse does not couple.
so hup immediately thought about 4s ?

If your ESC is hitting LVC at to high of a value, say 3.8v per cell, then you can change the ESC to NiMH mode, which disables LVC, but you prevent your Lipo from over discharging, you will need a Lipo alarm you let you know when you get to an appropriate voltage. 3.4v or 3.6v should be fine.

When you get the new ESC, you should be able to find directions if they did not already come with them. I think the low-voltage cut off is 3.4 or so. I can’t remember offhand. I don’t use a Lipo alarm. You can tell the power drop off before it even hits LVC. Or at least I can because I’m used to it by now.

I have ordered a new esc 120 blx.

I just find setting it a bit vague ?
to be honest, you have no idea what you are doing it the first time.
plus there is also no good information about it or someone who explains it well via YouTube.
because all I have seen are videos of people who are playing with it and it does not do what they want ? those beeps and blinking lights do not help. "I really don't get it."
do not understand that that does not go through an app or with the computer that you can connect it to it ? just like with your rc plane much easier.

I think it went wrong there too? when connecting my remote control ..
I press anything on everything

But should I put that esc in lipo mode or is that good when it is new?

Got any video of the blx185/3674 2950kv on 3S? I'm working on my stampede and will likely end up with a similar setup, but I only have 3S packs to run in it and don't really want to run 4S if I don't have to, which is why I was looking at the 2950kv vs a lower kv.

Got any video of the blx185/3674 2950kv on 3S? I'm working on my stampede and will likely end up with a similar setup, but I only have 3S packs to run in it and don't really want to run 4S if I don't have to, which is why I was looking at the 2950kv vs a lower kv.
Unfortunately no I don’t. I did buy an action camera last week but haven’t taken it out of the box yet lol. I put a goolrc 60a esc 4300kv 3650 motor in my sons stampede 2wd and on 3s is nuts! And $34 combo.

@Peteyk49
Because of the ESC mounting...do you have a 3D printer? Or do you know anybody who can 3D-Print you a part or mill it out of aluminium?
If yes, you could do something like I did on my BRCC to mount my HW MAX8.
I can even send you the 3D model if you want to (granted, I would have to modify it so it can be used with a BLX185, but that's no big deal).

IMG-20200410-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20200410-WA0007.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back