Powerhobby Battery occasionally not charging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nebula34

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Hey All,

I have a power hobby 2s battery that is not dropping equivalent charge in each cell when I run it. i.e. at the end of the run I could have a 3.7 and 3.5 volt charge. I've been able to get it to charge sometimes by discharging the battery (getting them both to 3.5ish) and then charging both cells from there. Is this really abnormal? My son and I are still learning the ins and outs of Lipo, but this seems like it might be a bad battery?

TIA

You need an IR checker to check the resistance. Probably a big difference between cells which is why it's happening. Personally, I'd toss the battery or return it if you just bought it recently but that's just me

You need an IR checker to check the resistance. Probably a big difference between cells which is why it's happening. Personally, I'd toss the battery or return it if you just bought it recently but that's just me
Thanks - unfortunately, it's probably out of warranty but I'm not super comfortable with a finicky battery in the house either...

I'm in the market for a new charger too - does it make a difference if I get a separate IR charger or a battery charger with an IR sensor in it? Any recommendations? Thanks everyone!

I'm a big fan of ISDT chargers. They're not the cheapest, but they're good and they also read IR. I use a P20, P10 and I have a Q8 for use outside the house (I've never used it, but thought it would be a good thing to have). It's worth mentioning that these chargers require a DC input/power supply. But I think they're great.

If you decide to go a different route, make sure to check the balance current of a charger. It should be at least 1A unless you don't mind waiting for your batteries to finish charging. Anything over 1.5A is good.

Hope this helps :)

I'm in the market for a new charger too - does it make a difference if I get a separate IR charger or a battery charger with an IR sensor in it? Any recommendations? Thanks everyone!
I was told be one of the better battery manufacturers (SMC) that you should use a separate IR checker from the battery charger because it's less accurate.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0178P8H9U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3IAN4VN1Q26HU&psc=1

I actually plan on buying this one sometime soon as I was previously using my charger.

I was told be one of the better battery manufacturers (SMC) that you should use a separate IR checker from the battery charger because it's less accurate.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0178P8H9U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3IAN4VN1Q26HU&psc=1

I actually plan on buying this one sometime soon as I was previously using my charger.
I don't look at IR readings as absolute values. Rather as a guide to monitor the health of my batteries. I'm not too concerned about whether they're totally accurate. If they're in the ballpark, that's good enough for me.

I don't look at IR readings as absolute values. Rather as a guide to monitor the health of my batteries. I'm not too concerned about whether they're totally accurate. If they're in the ballpark, that's good enough for me.
I agree with you and thought it was lowkey a copout when he told me that after I told him the IR of my batteries lol.

Those cheap testers aren’t going to be any better, but for what we do we mostly just need relative measurements anyway. Search for “Wayne Giles ESR meter” if you are interested in “accuracy”.

Those cheap testers aren’t going to be any better, but for what we do we mostly just need relative measurements anyway. Search for “Wayne Giles ESR meter” if you are interested in “accuracy”.
SMC makes (or sells, not sure which) an ESR meter too. That's what I meant when I said "Maybe they're just trying to sell their battery tester".
https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=565
1668930549905.png

I remember paying like $10 for mine off Amazon. But that isn't very good either cell 1 is always way higher than the rest of the cells, the one in my ISDT charger works better.

-edit- I'll post some pics give me a moment.

1668960379831.jpeg

1668960395888.jpeg

1668960410525.jpeg

1668960425655.jpeg

Last edited:
SMC makes (or sells, not sure which) an ESR meter too. That's what I meant when I said "Maybe they're just trying to sell their battery tester"

Ah that’s the newest version of the Wayne Giles meter, didn’t know they sold them.

Thanks - unfortunately, it's probably out of warranty but I'm not super comfortable with a finicky battery in the house either...
If you had to guess, how many cycles are into that pack so far. And what brand is it?
I remember paying like $10 for mine off Amazon. But that isn't very good either cell 1 is always way higher than the rest of the cells, the one in my ISDT charger works better.

-edit- I'll post some pics give me a moment.

View attachment 257368
View attachment 257369
View attachment 257370

View attachment 257371
True. I have the same Testor. Sometimes but not always, the Charger gets me the best reads.
Those cheapo lipo alarms, even some of them are way Off also. Good just for their purpose, to sound an alarm when the overall voltage drops as you bash.

Last edited:
Hey All,

I have a power hobby 2s battery that is not dropping equivalent charge in each cell when I run it. i.e. at the end of the run I could have a 3.7 and 3.5 volt charge. I've been able to get it to charge sometimes by discharging the battery (getting them both to 3.5ish) and then charging both cells from there. Is this really abnormal? My son and I are still learning the ins and outs of Lipo, but this seems like it might be a bad battery?

TIA
Where did you buy the battery? The warranty varies from company to company can be anywhere from 30 days to 2 years.
If you had to guess, how many cycles are into that pack so far. And what brand is it?

True. I have the same Testor. Sometimes but not always, the Charger gets me the best reads.
Those cheapo lipo alarms, even some of them are way Off also. Good just for their purpose, to sound an alarm when the overall voltage drops as you bash.
I only use it to make sure that they aren't getting too high and I usually only pay attention to cell 2 or 3.

I'd say I have about 2 dozen cycles in it - It's a power hobby. I picked up a few SMC batteries and am loving them. @slick2500 I picked up the batter with my Typhon at my LHS.

I'd say I have about 2 dozen cycles in it - It's a power hobby. I picked up a few SMC batteries and am loving them. @slick2500 I picked up the batter with my Typhon at my LHS.

Oh man I am so blind some days, idk how I completely missed that it was a Power Hobby lipo.

Power Hobby appears to have a 6 month warranty.
Warranty:

• This LiPo Battery Pack is guaranteed, under warranty, against defects in materials and workmanship upto 6 Months from the day of purchase
  • This warranty does not cover physical damage to the battery pack as the result of a crash, hard landing, improper mounting or any deformity caused by the user.
  • This warranty does not cover internal damage to the battery pack due to overcharging, deep discharging, or excessive
  • discharge current.
Looks like you just need your receipt.

Oh man I am so blind some days, idk how I completely missed that it was a Power Hobby lipo.

Power Hobby appears to have a 6 month warranty.
Warranty:

• This LiPo Battery Pack is guaranteed, under warranty, against defects in materials and workmanship upto 6 Months from the day of purchase
  • This warranty does not cover physical damage to the battery pack as the result of a crash, hard landing, improper mounting or any deformity caused by the user.
  • This warranty does not cover internal damage to the battery pack due to overcharging, deep discharging, or excessive
  • discharge current.
Looks like you just need your receipt.
Thanks man, I appreciate it. Looks like I'm just out of warranty then, but that's a lesson to me... if I think it's an issue, deal with it right away. Thanks for looking that up - I really appreciate it!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back