Typhon Powerhobby dual fan heatsink fit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shenanigan23

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
For the Spektrum 6s motors on the V5’s, I find the Powerhobby heat sink doesn’t fit that well. Do you guys all use thermal paste to make it have better contact and fill the gap, or do something else to tighten it around the motor better?

Last edited:
I used aluminum foil to take up some space to make it fit tighter. Also made standoffs for the fans to increase air flow.
I used aluminum foil to take up some space to make it fit tighter. Also made standoffs for the fans to increase air flow.

Attachments

• 20210405_135856.jpg
    20210405_135856.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 110
I'm just doing the powerhobby set with some 1mm thermal pads to get it snug. Yeah racing makes a heatsink, but the PH one was more available (amazon) and the heatsink itself is probably roughly equivalent. Both will most likely need new fans quickly in the AZ heat.

This my Dual 40mm fans setup. A member on the forum mentioned foil 😂 I used it and damn it worked. 29/46 setup street bashed with a few full throttle sends for 15 min temp was 109. Its only temporary until thermal pad arrive

16184198998744263999771328193992.jpg

For the Powerhobby/Yeah dual fans, do not use anything. Let the air blow across the can. Do not think this heatsink acts like it does on CPUs. At best these are fan holders but they do this well. If you want a tight fit just screw it on harder. You could use some foil on the underside to get it tighter if that is an issue but shouldn't be.
Do not ever use thermal paste, it's the worst, it's sticky, attracts dirt and only works on seriously small gaps (microns).

I previously used the thermal pads linked above. They are ok but not needed. Air across the can is more efficient.

All this is in hindsight, followed that same rabbit hole prior.
@Kingleo619 Keep in mind that you are using a different heatsink. I ditched that one a long time ago but yes thermal pads will help on this one.
Motor temp would probably be the same without this in place.
When posting temps always helps if ambient temps are listed as well. Big difference if you are running at 40F or 90F. I have never seen 106F on anything even after a light bash, but I start out at 85F.

This my Dual 40mm fans setup. A member on the forum mentioned foil 😂 I used it and damn it worked. 29/46 setup street bashed with a few full throttle sends for 15 min temp was 109. Its only temporary until thermal pad arrive

View attachment 139717
I got 40mmz on samme h-wing heatsink...WORKS GREAT

20210409_183117.jpg

The PH heatsink just cannot be tightened down enough on (mine couldn't today anyway) without some sort of space filler (thermal pads). Can't comment on the yeah racing heatsink, but another eBay heatsink a friend had (PH clone) was the exact same way.

Only thing I haven't decided is whether or not to use the spacers or not. I know they'll increase airflow, but I'm not sure how strong they'll be. Gonna throw some screen door mesh on the ESC and fans before next bash and when a fan dies go to aluminum ones.

PH/Yeah are all the same besides the logo. Yes use the spacers and some screen. Get alu Fans on order, my astic ones didn't last long. 30mm alu and you will be golden.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back