Typhon Powerhobby dual fan heatsink fit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Works for taking up space . But defeats the purpose of the heatsink being a heatsink. At least that side of the heatsink anyways. So long as it works for you.
That's why I only used a tiny bit. As little as possible. Would be surprised if there was any difference using anything else. Works just fine since my temps never see above 110F with my mx28 setup.

I've a heatsink because I suspect 6S in AZ will get toasty (already starting too), but I suspect it's more of a glorified fan holder. I used thermal pads to take up the space because my brain can't accept anything else between a heatsink and a hot piece of metal (other than paste but that's out obviously)

For the Powerhobby/Yeah dual fans, do not use anything. Let the air blow across the can. Do not think this heatsink acts like it does on CPUs. At best these are fan holders but they do this well. If you want a tight fit just screw it on harder. You could use some foil on the underside to get it tighter if that is an issue but shouldn't be.
Do not ever use thermal paste, it's the worst, it's sticky, attracts dirt and only works on seriously small gaps (microns).

I previously used the thermal pads linked above. They are ok but not needed. Air across the can is more efficient.

All this is in hindsight, followed that same rabbit hole prior.
@Kingleo619 Keep in mind that you are using a different heatsink. I ditched that one a long time ago but yes thermal pads will help on this one.
Motor temp would probably be the same without this in place.
When posting temps always helps if ambient temps are listed as well. Big difference if you are running at 40F or 90F. I have never seen 106F on anything even after a light bash, but I start out at 85F.
Some great feedback thanks.
I’d imagine if I have a big gap between the motor and heatsink, this would lead to way less cooling efficiency than without anything.
I’m wary of just trying to bodge some sort of tie down of flat fans to a curved motor. Have seen some smaller thin mounts for fans to motors but none for a 40mm one. Any that are recommended?

Some great feedback thanks.
I’d imagine if I have a big gap between the motor and heatsink, this would lead to way less cooling efficiency than without anything.
I’m wary of just trying to bodge some sort of tie down of flat fans to a curved motor. Have seen some smaller thin mounts for fans to motors but none for a 40mm one. Any that are recommended?
Like jkflow said, the YR and PH heatsinks do not act like heatsinks to disperse air, but they make really good solid fan mounts. The gap between motor and heatsink matter less to cooling than it does just having a snug fit so it doesn't slide around. Since the airflow is more important than the heatsink itself, a dual fan mount is superior to a single fan mount (unless the single fan is a good size like 45mm). If you need better motor cooling, get the PH/YR heatsink and some good fans. Also mounting the fans with a spacer to increase airflow is ideal, but not required.

Going forward I'd probbaly go with something like this. Obviously the plastic fan is junk but so are the Yeah/Powerhobby standards.
Just make sure you get the correct motor can size.
The dual fan mounts get annoying, the upgraded alu fans do not fit side by side and the entire heatsink is a dirt magnet. I currently run those and it's not incentive enough to swap to the mounts below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-1-8-S...103333?hash=item5dc50081e5:g:EOIAAOSwH21ffwVk

Wonder what the difference between a single 40mm and dual 30mm's are. In the future I'll probably do something like that 40 mount or the NHX dual fan system that comes with aluminum fans, covers, and less overall heatsink.

Good question and somewhat complex answer.You would think you could look at the CFM rating of a fan and just do the math.

Most of the heat is towards the rear of the motor and 1 fan with higher CFM is better than 2 where the individual CFM is lower but combined higher.
Hope that makes sense.

Like I said, you will upgrade to alu fans regardless, any plastic one will break within 10 packs or sooner, at least if you are doing it right 😜 and the dual alu fans need to be mounted staggered and again loose some effectiveness. Single 450mm will be better and there are a lot more 40mm fan options out there. Do not get cheap plastic replacements from Amazon, they break within 1 pack. Ask me how I know.

I actually just went through this same crisis and spoke to my LHS about it. They recommended going with the 1 fan setup and I couldn't be happier. They stated people were having issues with the dual setup. Something about it cutting the motor wires. All I can say is I went with the 1 fan/smaller heatsink option and I couldn't be happier. I even run my Typhon on a 18 tooth pinion and still never gets temps over 130 after super hard bashing. Sometimes numbers can be deceiving. It makes it seem like it would be better even though in reality it just doesn't provide much more benefits or efficiency other than the fact you can say "I got dual fans", but in reality, 1 fan is plenty sufficient. Unless you going for super high speed runs, I wouldn't bother with a dual fan setup. Just speaking from my personal experience

If I did try get a new dual fan heatsink combo that fits really well, what would people recommend?

Any good ones sold in Australia?
Hey, I think there is a company or at least a dude selling fans in Australia lol. They were called AB racing, Aussie RC Playground on Youtube showed them 6-7 months ago. May want to check it out. They don't wrap around the motor can like the power hobbies ones do. Instead you have your fan mount bracket that has like hooks on it and a pair of rubber O rings are used to strap it down. I have no idea on pricing or availability just saw you asking about Australian options.

Last edited:
Confirmed, you have to keep your wires neat with a little slack. I had some rip directly out of the fan (too much slack) and/or caught in driveshaft/pinion after the zip ties moved on me.
My future will be in a 1 fan setup but not just yet.

Good question and somewhat complex answer.You would think you could look at the CFM rating of a fan and just do the math.

Most of the heat is towards the rear of the motor and 1 fan with higher CFM is better than 2 where the individual CFM is lower but combined higher.
Hope that makes sense.

Like I said, you will upgrade to alu fans regardless, any plastic one will break within 10 packs or sooner, at least if you are doing it right 😜 and the dual alu fans need to be mounted staggered and again loose some effectiveness. Single 450mm will be better and there are a lot more 40mm fan options out there. Do not get cheap plastic replacements from Amazon, they break within 1 pack. Ask me how I know.
Speaking of plastic fans. I just noticed I have a broken blade on my Firma esc fan.
This is on a Typhon 6s. Wonder if you can get aluminum fan replacements for that.
Or if it’s even a good idea

Use Fans with aluminum frames, it will already help. Not aware of one with alu blades. There is a mod where you can just clip the tip of the blades if this happens in an ESC. Just get rid of the shroud but cover with some screen, that is my working solution. Do not replace with plastic framed fans, wasted money.

I think "Game changer" fans use aluminum blades.

There is a high speed fan (12V) that has alu frame but the blades are still plastic. Seen it in person and you can buy it off digikey for 30% of the price, no fancy wiring though.

FYI, I wouldn't use it if it was free tbh. Current draw is too high compared to the one below.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/sanyo-denki-america-inc/9HV0412P3K001/6192417

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/sanyo-denki-america-inc/9GE0412P3J03/6192333

All this air and fan stuff is just out of control imho. It adds nothing after you cross the ~ 10-15 CFM line. Rest is just 'mine blows more' but really adds no value.

Last edited:
For the Spektrum 6s motors on the V5’s, I find the Powerhobby heat sink doesn’t fit that well. Do you guys all use thermal paste to make it have better contact and fill the gap, or do something else to tighten it around the motor better?
I had the same problem with my Typhon 6s v5 the power hobby twin fan heatsink fits but moves easily,so I cut a large jubilee clip in half cut to size on the underside of the heatsink which is the clamp and that made it fit like a treat.
I've added some pics hopefully this will help others.
On 6s the motor just gets way to hot even though it has a thermal cut out having the heatsink fan combo really helps.
I used a wild Turbo Fan as blows mach more cold air than the power hobby 2 fans combined.
Only thing I had to do to make fan fit when motor in was cut the small peice of plastic over the centre diff

20210924_204445.jpg

20210924_204544.jpg

20210924_204602.jpg

20210924_204618.jpg

There is no thermal cut off on the motor that function is inside the ESC and is ESC specific.

This is an older thread, I had/have the same heat sink and it works well.
2 issues I had:
1) it was collecting a lot of dirt in the fins, fairly easy to clean though.
2) I needed to mount 2 fans and the aluminum do not fit side by side, not enough space in the middle.

I've dropped them for the clamp style, which works really well. Example only, other styles and other prices exist.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303935919733?epid=15048502612&hash=item46c3fe1675:g:pEsAAOSw8vVgZPVZ

Aluminum tape for the backside of the heatsink problem solved. Was thinking about this today. I was using shoegoe to fix the darn things in place. I knew it wasnt right but when ur always stressed about everything hard to think proprely somwtimes

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back