Powerhobby fan mount revisited….M2C

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinC

Flyboy, Cat Hoarder, Tiger Tamer, Party Crasher.
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Limitless
  3. Kraton 8S
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Kraton EXB
  6. Mojave EXB
  7. Talion
  8. Talion EXB
Hey Arrma nation, and Mitch and Avery if you are lurking.
I’ve had pretty good luck with this mount….
0C86FA83-EB67-45CD-AC14-145A21C05B83.jpeg

Problem is….it’s a bit soft. Stripped out the threads in the tightening screw hole due to over doing it. Bought a tap/die set and put a beef 4mm cap head in place. So far, so good.
I think the concept is great, the metal…..not so much.

Mitch, Avery……if you are here, beg borrow or steal this design, M2C the Bejeezus out of it, and make it available for us. Groovy thing is,……it’s not rig specific.
I have 7 rigs and would not hesitate to buy enough of these to outfit the fleet.

cheers,
kev

I have one of those as well on a limitless, so no bumps so less need for tightening and it's been fantastic. I can definitely see it being too weak for off-road.

I know of two, or even three different sizes available with the powerhobby. From a manufacturing view that puts a hamper on profit, now there's three sets of fixtures, or more depending on how many you want to offer. It's a 3 op job, definitely a hard sell at what you'd be expected to price a fan mount at. I'm interested in hearing an RC shops thoughts, sounds like you know a couple!

I have this same mount and I love it. I did the same thing you did and put a bigger cap head screw in. How is it that Powerhobby was the only manufacturer with the vision to put some extra holes in one of these so you can mount two fans? Every other mount of this type I've found has but two holes to mount one fan.

View attachment 225738
Problem is….it’s a bit soft. Stripped out the threads in the tightening screw hole due to over doing it. Bought a tap/die set and put a beef 4mm cap head in place. So far, so good.

Mitch, Avery……if you are here, beg borrow or steal this design, M2C the Bejeezus out of it, and make it available for us. Groovy thing is,……it’s not rig specific.
I have 7 rigs and would not hesitate to buy enough of these to outfit the fleet.

cheers,
kev
Keeps the motors cool, I also have 2 on my 6s rigs better than heat sinks 100%
I tried YR ones first, they suck broke in half due to the issue you brought up and then I got this one wow what a difference.
I would also buy a handful for all my rigs m2c ones would be nice.

View attachment 225738

cheers,
kev
I'd be surprised if they took this design and copied it. M2C definitely has more integrity than that regardless of what the rest of the market does. But anyway, I have had great luck with these mounts. If you line the mating surface of the mount with a 1mm layer of thermal pad, you wont have to tighten it down so much and it still won't budge. Added benefit of the entire mount basically sucking the heat right out of the can even on ribbed motors.

View attachment 225738

cheers,
kev
Yes the screws are too small. The Alloy can strip. And if you don't use TL Blue, the screws will even loosen up. I did strip one of a half dozen of these that I have. They are best for 40-42 mm Motor Cans IMHO. So many never use Fan mounts anyway, they rush to have a Heatsink for mounting Fans. Not a fan of HS however. I always felt they were less efficient for Cooling.

Last edited:
Yes the screws are too small. The Alloy can strip. And if you don't use TL Blue. The screws will even loosen up. I did strip one of a half dozen of these that I have. They are best for 40-42 mm Motor Cans IMHO. So many never use Fan mounts anyway, they rush to have a Heatsink for mounting Fans. Not a fan of HS however. I always felt they were less efficient for Cooling.
FWIW, I use the 40-42mm fan mount without issue on my 1717 and 1721. No need to have two separate fan mounts. I haven't tried it on my 5680 yet...that may be a different animal altogether.

Yes the screws are too small. The Alloy can strip. And if you don't use TL Blue, the screws will even loosen up. I did strip one of a half dozen of these that I have. They are best for 40-42 mm Motor Cans IMHO. So many never use Fan mounts anyway, they rush to have a Heatsink for mounting Fans. Not a fan of HS however. I always felt they were less efficient for Cooling.
TL Blue ? Are you talking about Loctite Blue? Shouldn't it be LT Blue if you're going to abbreviate it? I noticed you abbreviated like this in another post and had no idea what you were talking about. Just curious.

As for MC2 making a similar PH fan mount ,I know I would pick up a couple of them for my Limitless and the Typhon.

TL Blue ? Are you talking about Loctite Blue? Shouldn't it be LT Blue if you're going to abbreviate it? I noticed you abbreviated like this in another post and had no idea what you were talking about. Just curious.

As for MC2 making a similar PH fan mount ,I know I would pick up a couple of them for my Limitless and the Typhon.
TL = Thread Locker

TL= Thread Locker.
Loctite mfr. is just one Brand's name of TL. There are many others.
Blue is medium strength and way more than enough strength for small RC fasteners. Blue seems to be an industry standard Color in regards to strength. No matter the brand/Mfr.
:cool: Been using Blue Loctite 243 vs standard 242. It is OIL and dirt friendly. Same BLUE strength. Best to buy TL in larger 50ML quantities. It is very expensive in general. All TL'er is .Medium/Blue is good for 1/4"-3/4" bolts/nuts. So for RC very small fasteners is way strong enough.

20220625_115721.jpg

Last edited:
Ah ok not naming brands got it thanks. We use loctite at work and I use it here at home so I don't think of thread locker like that normally. I'm an Engineering tech by trade so when writing assembly instructions I have to be specific .:LOL:
I add TL to all my PH mounts on the screw including bashers like Kraton has not moved since installed on GC two motor fan system.

FWIW guys, this powerhobby fan mount will accept 35mm fans as well…….the fan sits at a slight angle but the holes line up great.

2A8E47F6-1B96-4988-82AB-8CF9385462DC.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back