Powering charger with 12v battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim1990

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
A local public track close to my house has no power running to it. I have the Hitec AC/DC x2 black edition charger and I’m looking into building a mobile charging set up. I don’t want to use the car battery but can get deep cycle marine batteries really cheap. Can I just use alligator clips to connect charger to the battery directly or would it be better to get a power supply and connect power supply to battery and charger to power supply?

Yes, the specs show DC input voltage is 11-18v.

The "efficiency" of deep cycle batteries goes down as current draw increases, but unless you are charging many batteries at once that is probably not a major consideration for this application.

Not a bad idea to have a means of monitoring the supply battery. Generally, you don't want to discharge deep cycle batteries below 50% for maximum life.

Yes, the specs show DC input voltage is 11-18v.

The "efficiency" of deep cycle batteries goes down as current draw increases, but unless you are charging many batteries at once that is probably not a major consideration for this application.

Not a bad idea to have a means of monitoring the supply battery. Generally, you don't want to discharge deep cycle batteries below 50% for maximum life.
Thank you. I would only be charging one or two 2s-3s 5000mah batteries at a time.

A decent deep cycle will do just fine for at the field. I usually charge my packs up at home first, then take my setup to the field to charge them there too. Check the local bowling alley, craigslist or local something for a used bowling ball tote, preferably one with wheels and set your deep cycle battery in there. Good copper alligator clips are fine to use also.

Attachments

• 20181202_165622.jpg
    20181202_165622.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 51
I've always just hooked mine straight up to the battery in my truck with the big alligator clips that came with my charger.
s-l640.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back