Preload collars, threaded shock bodies and springs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jchammbone

Reaction score
Ok folks. I'm hoping for some clarification.. Lowering your shock collars will increase the ride height, raising the vehicle up and gaining ground clearance. Am
I correct so far... changing to thicker or thinner shock oil will effect the speed of the piston as it travels through the oil inside the shock body. Am I am still getting it? Now spring rates , higher rated spring ( a 2.5 lb ) vs a lower rated spring ( 1.5 lb ) ... higher rated spring will rebound quicker vs the lower rated spring if all things being equal with the rest of shock. But will be slower to compress hence higher rating..
Am I still on the right path?
Forget oil and piston hole sizes and angle of shock for now.
Lowering shock collars will not make the shock firmer (maybe for a fraction of an inch) ... am I right?
Sorry for long read but was wanting some clarification. I've come across other threads and couldn't make sense of them.

My understanding of it is....?

Shock collars = ride height ( will add some stiffness too if compressed to much )
Oil thick/thin = speed and weight of damping
Spring rate = hardness/softness of suspension ( a harder spring rate will cause the vehicle to have a slightly higher ride height too as it's unable to sag under its own weight )

If I'm wrong someone please feel free to correct me..?

Ok folks. I'm hoping for some clarification.. Lowering your shock collars will increase the ride height, raising the vehicle up and gaining ground clearance. Am
I correct so far... changing to thicker or thinner shock oil will effect the speed of the piston as it travels through the oil inside the shock body. Am I am still getting it? Now spring rates , higher rated spring ( a 2.5 lb ) vs a lower rated spring ( 1.5 lb ) ... higher rated spring will rebound quicker vs the lower rated spring if all things being equal with the rest of shock. But will be slower to compress hence higher rating..
Am I still on the right path?
Forget oil and piston hole sizes and angle of shock for now.
Lowering shock collars will not make the shock firmer (maybe for a fraction of an inch) ... am I right?
Sorry for long read but was wanting some clarification. I've come across other threads and couldn't make sense of them.
Great questions,

Lowering shock collars makes the springs stiffer. Any change in ride height is the result of stiffer springs. When they're looser, then the truck will compress the springs just by its own weight and the truck will sit lower. The stiffer you make the springs, the less the truck will be able to compress them with its weight and the truck will sit higher. Up to a point. Once the springs are stiff enough, the truck's weight won't compress them at all, and the truck will not sit any higher by lowering the shock collars.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back