Printing ABS and PETG

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harriot10

Speed runner with a learner’s permit 🤣
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Felony
  3. Granite
  4. Infraction
  5. Kraton 8S
  6. Kraton 6s
  7. Kraton EXB
  8. Outcast 6s
  9. Typhon 6s
Tried printing ABS and PETG on my Ender 3 V2 this weekend. Both had issues!

PETG, stringing and layers were inconsistent (shifting)

ABS, wouldn’t extrude correctly, even at 240C

I know both need higher temps. Any help with print settings or advise would be much appreciated. Thanks

What brand of material are you using first off? Also you say shifting… can you please toss up some pics? Have you taken the steps to calibrate your extruder? Is the x,y,z snug with the eccentric wheels? What are your slicer settings? Have you had successfully printed other materials yet? How did you level the bed? Don’t be discouraged a lot of people have issues with those filaments. The more information and pictures you can give me the better it will be for me to help you.

I print almost exclusively petg on my ender3 pro. Usually ~240 degrees, 30-35mm/s, 15mm/s for initial layer. 80 degree bed. Ive found the new generic petg settings on cura to be pretty good to get started. Dry filament is a must. I print on glass with hairspray for small or short pieces, and glass with blue masking tape for print that might warp.

I’m more curious about his shifting situation. I wonder what axis the shift is on and is it consistent?

How dry is your filament?
Both packages were new. The abs was super brittle thought, right out of the package
What brand of material are you using first off? Also you say shifting… can you please toss up some pics? Have you taken the steps to calibrate your extruder? Is the x,y,z snug with the eccentric wheels? What are your slicer settings? Have you had successfully printed other materials yet? How did you level the bed? Don’t be discouraged a lot of people have issues with those filaments. The more information and pictures you can give me the better it will be for me to help you.
I’ll post pics this evening, just got to work. The shifting stuff is weird, doesn’t happen all time. It started a while back, when I was printing tablet stands for my kids. When get home in the afternoon, I’ll grab a couple bad prints and take photos. The PETG was Amazon brand (probably garbage) The ABS was Hatchbox, which I really like their PLA. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I print almost exclusively petg on my ender3 pro. Usually ~240 degrees, 30-35mm/s, 15mm/s for initial layer. 80 degree bed. Ive found the new generic petg settings on cura to be pretty good to get started. Dry filament is a must. I print on glass with hairspray for small or short pieces, and glass with blue masking tape for print that might warp.
Gotta check my print speed. I also print on glass with hairspray. Usually works well!

Last edited:
Both packages were new. The abs was super brittle thought, right out of the package

I’ll post pics this evening, just got to work. The shifting stuff is weird, doesn’t happen all time. It started a while back, when I was printing tablet stands for my kids. When get home in the afternoon, I’ll grab a couple bad prints and take photos. The PETG was Amazon brand (probably garbage) The ABS was Hatchbox, which I really like their PLA. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Gotta check my print speed. I also print on glass with hairspray. Usually works well!
Just a heads up I have never received any material that was dry enough out of the package. DRY DRY DRY. Seems to be what I do most. Even if I take it out of a dryer and run it. Usually within a couple hours I can tell the print quality will change dramatically. Sunlu makes cheap good ones on Amazon and I have a design I made that will mount it to the top of your machine I can send you. I would also recommend an enclosure for that added security. Plus it helps keep the mess down and temps where they need to be. Looking forward to the pics and information later. Have a good day at work.

@3d-rc.myshopify.com Thomas Sanlanderer did a video recently on the moisture absorption of filaments and confirmed your feeling. Even if you perfectly dried your material, after a few hours of exposure to normal room humidity the material has already absorbed an amount of moisture to produce faintly noticeable results. Although the severity or amount of noticeability varies by material.

@3d-rc.myshopify.com Thomas Sanlanderer did a video recently on the moisture absorption of filaments and confirmed your feeling. Even if you perfectly dried your material, after a few hours of exposure to normal room humidity the material has already absorbed an amount of moisture to produce faintly noticeable results. Although the severity or amount of noticeability varies by material.

Yes I can definitely see a notable difference in abs,petg,nylon and tpu. Pla I can get a few hours out of. Even if I have material in the dryer feeding the machine if it stops overnight that stretch coming out of the dryer to the extruder is a huge difference on the amount of moisture it absorbed compared to the rest of the material in the dryer I won’t print without some thing being fed from a dryer anymore

I leave whichever spool I last used on the side of the printer out in the open all willy nilly and the stress from the tube length usually snaps it off at the extruder. But, I've managed to print with material like this just fine. Currently, have my personal printer at work.

1637598237545.png

So back to some of the questions asked in posts above 👆 I returned the PETG, but still have the translucent Hatchbox ABS and would love to be able to make some quality prints with this material. What print settings do you need? Here is a print with PETG (GPS holder)

9E1ABF61-F631-4D9F-84EA-A5DE6539FFBB.jpeg

AC28DDAD-DE95-4FC2-8027-F8BAFD4C1AFE.jpeg

That is definitely wet filament for starters.
What slicer settings are you using? What slicer itself are you using? Cura is very user friendly. What layer height? Did you ever do an extruder calibration? How does it print with say pla?
If you want just message me a number and we can text a lot faster then this and get you rolling faster👍

Last edited:
The shifting you are seeing isn’t from wet filament or settings in the slicer. The machine it self is off. How tight it the drive belt on the gantry? Do you have a pic of the other parts that had shifts in them? If you are wanting to work with ABS you must have a setup like this for best results. The dryer is directly fed into the machine while also in the enclosure with desiccant packs in it for additional protection as well as in the dryer. Call me Paranoid with those extra steps go very far when it comes to the finish of the product

image.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back