Printing ABS and PETG

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would agree. Abs is a material I just don’t ever see myself using again. There isn’t a pure abs most of it is mixed with a polycarbonate to help it. TPU is actually very susceptible to moisture. Probably one of the most Hygroscopic materials I have used yet. Speaking of the OP any luck on that first layer adhesions or shifting?

In my (limited) experience nylon is the worst woth moisture... unprintable about 2 hours after I turn my dryer off. In fact im not aure why, but it clogs my hot end if it is too wet.

PETG is a weak stringy disaster if not super dry...

but in a pinch I can print a TPU go pro mount without drying and it still has decent layer adhesion and overall strength.

In my (limited) experience nylon is the worst woth moisture... unprintable about 2 hours after I turn my dryer off. In fact im not aure why, but it clogs my hot end if it is too wet.

PETG is a weak stringy disaster if not super dry...

but in a pinch I can print a TPU go pro mount without drying and it still has decent layer adhesion and overall strength.
Yes tpu will definitely bond well to itself if the temp is correct. Nylon is by far the worst 😱
Never been a fan of petg unless it is for display items. Tpu is decent to print wet but it isn't pretty and has lots of porosity so for like a go pro mount that would be perfect. Pctpe is by far my favorite go to for any situation type thing, it's a co polymer that has the characteristics of nylon and tpu combination in one. Strong with great layer adhesion and all can smash it and it will go back into shape. Hard enough to wear well but soft enough to absorb impact.

Getting really good results after drying materials. Good bed adhesion, almost zero stringing, and just overall better results. 👍🏼

03EDC376-6A97-4C6B-AC57-C9A1EB1F70A6.jpeg

725F7E1D-DF2E-4B39-B4B2-D31E7B7338BD.jpeg

CE844C16-620C-44DB-8A3C-39F5F8A64511.jpeg

Last edited:
As I said, I just leave my PLA sitting out unprotected and it works fine. Here's mid-print of a part I'm designing up for work.

1638359996619.png

1638360038660.png

A lot of it comes down to learning your printer, getting used to it, finding out what it's limits are, and finding materials and brands that it likes and then tweak the settings.

Here's the highest resolution I can print on mine, 0.02 layer height, scaled down to 50% and <30mm/s print speeds. I gouged out the bottom because I didn't add enough bottom/top layers and didn't rmeember I could make the top and bottom of the print be a different resolution.
1638360438249.png

Hatbox Green PLA printed at 200 - 225, CNC kitchen has been been doing flow rate analysis later that shows the limit of different nozzles and how the heat is or isnot able to permiate the incoming material to help with flow, hence why I'm printing my PLA above max manuf temp. Could also be that my temp probe is a bit incorrect.

1638360769909.png

As I said, I just leave my PLA sitting out unprotected and it works fine. Here's mid-print of a part I'm designing up for work.

View attachment 183225

View attachment 183226

A lot of it comes down to learning your printer, getting used to it, finding out what it's limits are, and finding materials and brands that it likes and then tweak the settings.

Here's the highest resolution I can print on mine, 0.02 layer height, scaled down to 50% and <30mm/s print speeds. I gouged out the bottom because I didn't add enough bottom/top layers and didn't rmeember I could make the top and bottom of the print be a different resolution.
View attachment 183227

Hatbox Green PLA printed at 200 - 225, CNC kitchen has been been doing flow rate analysis later that shows the limit of different nozzles and how the heat is or isnot able to permiate the incoming material to help with flow, hence why I'm printing my PLA above max manuf temp. Could also be that my temp probe is a bit incorrect.

View attachment 183228
Those prints would look so much better if they were dry. Can definitely tell there is lots of porosity in those layers. But if looks and layer adhesion isn’t of importance then it would work. But anything other then pla it isn’t going to have a good outcome.

Those prints would look so much better if they were dry. Can definitely tell there is lots of porosity in those layers. But if looks and layer adhesion isn’t of importance then it would work. But anything other then pla it isn’t going to have a good outcome.
Dry as in material dry or print finished dry? I'm assuming the prior.

Agree. That's wet filament.

Attempted to print ABS again and thought everything was looking good, but my print warped on top of the raft I used. Man, I can't figure this stuff out! :mad: The raft looked perfect. I didn't take pics (my bad). Filament was dry, printing out of the dryer. I still don't have an enclosure. Print temps 240 nozzle, 80 bed. Maybe the temperature of my garage where my printer is located is effecting the print? 🤷‍♂️ (60 degrees) Not sure what to try next, maybe tune the first layer. Never messed with that before.

ABS is STUPID sensitive to temperature change. Did you open a door or walk quickly within 6 feet of the print at any time? If so then it will warp.

The last time I printed in ABS, I would start the print and make sure 1st layer was good then leave the room only to check on it briefly and carefully once and a while.

ABS is STUPID sensitive to temperature change. Did you open a door or walk quickly within 6 feet of the print at any time? If so then it will warp.

The last time I printed in ABS, I would start the print and make sure 1st layer was good then leave the room only to check on it briefly and carefully once and a while.
Yeah, I'm sure I walked up to it several times. I haven't printed abs successfully yet, so I wanted to see what was going on. As I started before, the printer is located in my two car attached garage, which isn't temp controlled.

It'll be near impossible to print ABS in a 60 degree room. You need an enclosure my friend.
I figured. It’s in my garage because my wild kids know that’s off limits 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
I figured. It’s in my garage because my wild kids no that’s off limits 🤷🏻‍♂️
To clarify, I think having it in your cold garage is just fine. Even a super cheap, thin plexiglass enclosure with a bunch of holes makes a world of difference.

I think this is the stuff I used. In my 65 degree basement, the inside of my enclosure is 90-100 degrees depending on my bed temp. No warping.

You can try printing a draft shield around it. It is in cure settings. But I would definitely recommend an enclosure. Even something as simple as styrofoam board stacked around it and just walk away from it until it’s done. If you don’t have any crazy overhang turn off your part cooling fan as well. You want it to bake in there. Even after it’s done let it sit for a while and slowly come back to room temp.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back