Probably a stupid question but I need a charger that also has a battery checker in it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainGrumpus

Reaction score
I bought a HRTC C150 and the fan crapped out on it within 2 weeks, so it’s going back to Amazon. One thing it doesn’t do is tell me how much voltage is in the NiMH battery when I plug it in. It just starts charging. Does the Hobbymate or something else check the battery first and give you its current voltage?

I think all of my chargers that I have owned have to "start" a process of charge or discharge before they display the voltage.
As an alternative you could use a cheap voltmeter for around 10 bucks on Amazon...

If you had a LiPo battery then they have the LiPo cell checkers that will tell you the total voltage plus individual cell voltages and those are very cheap around $2-6

well you can buy a battery checker for like $13

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073W4MDHC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
71QAyVE4uBL._SL1500_.jpg

if you want a better charger i woulkd recommend the one im using a DOTA+ dual 150w
Hota D6 Plus AC/DC with balance boards and charging adapters
HOTA D6 Plus Dual Channel Charger - 2 x 150W AC , 2 x 325W DCD6
https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=541

FEATURES
  • Builtin AC power supply
  • Dual Channel Output - 2 x 150W AC - 2 x 325W DC
  • Faster Charging - Highly optimized charging algorithm with efficiency up to 94%
  • Intelligent Upgrade, Fast Experience - Built-in Micro USB connector for a much more convenient firmware upgrade experience.
  • Compatible with Various Batteries - Fully supports LiHv/LiPo/LiFe/Lilon/Lixx (1~6S), NiZn/Nicd/NiMH (1~16S), Smart Battery (1~6S), Lead Acid(Pb)(2~24V), Enelop(1~16S)
  • Safe and Reliable - The most advanced circuit design and charging algorithm ensures a much more reliable charging and discharging with built-in overvoltage, overcurrent, overtemperature, short circuit and other malfunction warnings ensuring the safety of you and your Lipos

I don’t think a Lipo checker will help him test his NiMH packs. You will need a voltmeter.

You can get a digital multimeter for a couple of bucks, or a decent charger which has a charge, discharge, balance, storage, meter, IR and probably another function or two.

The charger you're sending back looks like it has that standard two line lcd, 4 button setup like a bajillion other chargers, from cheap imaxes to beefy SkyRCs. I had a few and they all had a "battery meter" function.

well you can buy a battery checker for like $13

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073W4MDHC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
71QAyVE4uBL._SL1500_.jpg

if you want a better charger i woulkd recommend the one im using a DOTA+ dual 150w
Hota D6 Plus AC/DC with balance boards and charging adapters
HOTA D6 Plus Dual Channel Charger - 2 x 150W AC , 2 x 325W DCD6
https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=541

FEATURES
  • Builtin AC power supply
  • Dual Channel Output - 2 x 150W AC - 2 x 325W DC
  • Faster Charging - Highly optimized charging algorithm with efficiency up to 94%
  • Intelligent Upgrade, Fast Experience - Built-in Micro USB connector for a much more convenient firmware upgrade experience.
  • Compatible with Various Batteries - Fully supports LiHv/LiPo/LiFe/Lilon/Lixx (1~6S), NiZn/Nicd/NiMH (1~16S), Smart Battery (1~6S), Lead Acid(Pb)(2~24V), Enelop(1~16S)
  • Safe and Reliable - The most advanced circuit design and charging algorithm ensures a much more reliable charging and discharging with built-in overvoltage, overcurrent, overtemperature, short circuit and other malfunction warnings ensuring the safety of you and your Lipos

Is the HobbyMate D6 Duo Pro pretty much the same thing?

I bought a HRTC C150 and the fan crapped out on it within 2 weeks, so it’s going back to Amazon. One thing it doesn’t do is tell me how much voltage is in the NiMH battery when I plug it in. It just starts charging. Does the Hobbymate or something else check the battery first and give you its current voltage?
I have the HTRC C150 and it does tell you what voltage the battery is at in the top right corner when you start charging but if you need a check before starting to charge then yeah get a different charger with battery check feature built in and/or an external tester separate, or I guess a cheapo DC voltage meter in a pinch.

I have the HTRC C150 and it does tell you what voltage the battery is at in the top right corner when you start charging but if you need a check before starting to charge then yeah get a different charger with battery check feature built in and/or an external tester separate, or I guess a cheapo DC voltage meter in a pinch.

I’m not sure how accurate that is. When I’m charging a 7.2v NiMH, the voltage is always above 8 even though the battery is dead

I’m not sure how accurate that is. When I’m charging a 7.2v NiMH, the voltage is always above 8 even though the battery is dead
That’s the voltage it is putting back in most likely.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back