Problem setting up my Spektrum Rugged for winch control

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinman768

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I keep loosing reverse when I use the winch. Complete brown out and it won't come back without new setup

The winch is a servo winch so it's powered thru the receiver in AUX 2, 3 way momentary and it works great until you put under load then it browns out reverse only, you cant see any reverse movement on display at all. I also tried to power it thru a Castle BEC using the HOLMES Y- Bypass harness so the servo was just powered by BEC and still have the problem. Called Horizon and they have escalated it to their level 3 techs, but I thought maybe someone might have come across this. I've tried (2) different Rugged transmitters and (2) 515 receivers with same result. Also tried my Reef 299 servo winch with same result. Thanks for any ideas you might have

Your servo winch is simply drawing too much power and this will never work unless you get a capable BEC.
What servo winch are you using?
The other possibility is that you have a bad steering servo which draws too much by default and causes these problems.

Rest assured, your receiver and DX5 are not causing these problems.

I tried the Castle BEC that has the 10V but set it at 7.4v and still had the problem using the Holmes Y Harness to power just servo, still got same problem. I've never heard of anyone having this issue but I'll try the BEC at the max setting that the servo will handle and try it again.... Thanks

No, that is wrong. Don't do that you will blow up your electronics.
What matters is teh A (Amp) rating at the nominal voltage. You crank it to 10V and all your electronics will blow up.

So I set the BEC 6.1 right now because I don't want to burn up my little micro 2nd gear Servo and I still get the brown out of that reverse setting I tried it at 7.45 volts using the Holmes hobby wire harness that only powers the servo the b e c is getting power directly from the battery and I still had the same problem

You still haven't answered the question as to what your winch servo is.
Also, what BEC are you using? Model would be helpful in both cases. Keep in mind we are flying blind and your info is sparse at best.
Picture of your setup would also help.

My winch Servo is a boom racing muscle wench it supposedly runs between 6 and 8.4 amps

I also tried the reef 299 servo winch which has the same amperage rating on it as well

My BEC is the Castle Creations 10 Amp continuous current. I will try later tonight to set the BEC to the max the servo winch asked for and see what happens. I'll let you know tomorrow what happened Thanks again

I actually just looked at the specs for the boom racing winch it says it runs between 6 and 8.4 volts it doesn't say anywhere anything about amperage

All these items should work. I can't find any Amp ratings but your BEC should be sufficient. Now it's down to the wiring as the only issue, assuming your winch is not defective.

Do you have a picture of how you wired this up?

I actually just looked at the specs for the boom racing winch it says it runs between 6 and 8.4 volts it doesn't say anywhere anything about amperage
All these items should work. I can't find any Amp ratings but your BEC should be sufficient. Now it's down to the wiring as the only issue, assuming your winch is not defective.

Do you have a picture of how you wired this up?
I'll have to try and take a picture of it tomorrow it's wired up using the Holmes hobby Wi-Fi passage after the b e c is plugged into the Y adapter the servo is plugged into that then that is plugged into the receiver minus the red Power Line

Your servo winch is simply drawing too much power and this will never work unless you get a capable BEC.
What servo winch are you using?
The other possibility is that you have a bad steering servo which draws too much by default and causes these problems.

Rest assured, your receiver and DX5 are not causing these problems.
You also mentioned that maybe I had a bad steering servo I have the reef raw 500 and it seems to be working fine but I can always try another one I have another one of those maybe I will try and switch that out to see if that will work but that one seems to work just fine

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back