Notorious Problem with BLX185 ESC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iball123456

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Kraton 4s
  4. Notorious
  5. Typhon 3s
Was using the Notorious yesterday, while i wait for the parts i need to get the EXB back up and running.

Mid way through the pack, it just stopped, i lost steering and power. I took the lid off and the BLX185 was flashing red like when the radio is switched off. I thought maybe it was overheating although I’ve never had any problems with the Notorious being too hot, certainly not when running just one set of batteries through it.

Left it a couple of hours, switched it back on to finish off the batteries expecting it to have cooled down and still the same issue, one green flash followed by constant fast flashing red light on the BLX185. After investigation, there is no power being supplied to the receiver in the car from the ESC (i took the receiver out and installed it in a different car and it worked).

Anyone had this problem before or know how to fix it? Is it possible the ESC is dead?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, sorry for being dim, what’s a BEC?

I checked all the wiring and it was all okay unfortunately.

I had a similar but not exact issue with my mojave. I reset the esc to factory even tho I think it was already and re bound the receiver and calibrated the esc. haven't had the issue since but mine was giving power to the receiver.

Sounds like BEC (battery elimination circuit) is done, is it still under warranty?

The car is only 4 months old, so hopefully warranty will cover it, I haven’t tried a factory reset, that’s a good point, I’ll try it.

A BEC is a doodad inside the ESC that regulates your main battery voltage down to 6V (or 5 or 7.2V etc) for the receiver and servo.

It's called a "Battery eliminator circuit" because you used to have a separate battery for your radio and servo, back in the olden days.

Thanks, I’ve contacted the place i bought it from, hopefully they can get me sorted out although they’re starting to drag their heels in getting the replacement EXB bits i need under the warranty claim on it.

I can’t reset it as the reset needs the radio connected, and when i try without the radio connected, the reset doesn’t work (well i don’t get the combined flashing lights it says i should)

Figured you wouldnt be able to do the reset bc of the type of issue. but hopefully they can get that warranty replacement taken care of. In the past I have had better luck going through the manufacturer than the shop due to the fact they may get them from a distributor and if thats the case they have to send off to the distro then its off to the manufacturer. The distro may have the item and just go ahead with it ( best case) bc they know the manufacturer will send them another. Worse case however is the distro doesn't have one on hand so they have to get it from the manufacturer first which takes longer and it has to pass through more hands. Keep updated I want to see if that does infact fix that issue incase I ever come across it ill know.

My mojave has a weird issue that arose where I cannot calibrate reverse almost as if it doesn't exist in the menu during programing, the throttle works fine regardless but cannot calibrate reverse. No warranty so guess it will have to work the way it is till something dies lol, tho it doesn't seem to effect anything its just weird quirk.

Happened to me needed a replacement ESC. Took a few days to figure it out. Best of luck.

@iball123456 , Check the on off switch, I bet it’s failed at the switch. those symptoms are identical down to the reciever playing dead to 3 of my current rigs sorry 4 rigs my v1 infraction just sufferd the same fault, I just buy new switches off AliExpress(quickest delivery for me) and splice them on. I actually hadn’t checked my old receivers since finding the switch fault, bugger?‍♂️?‍♂️?Just realised I May have have just waisted 4x$85 on New receivers over last 6 months ???‍♂️

Last edited:
I am having the same problem with BLX185 too.

My son's Mohave has a BLX185 that is not working. The LED flashes red repeatedly non-stop when switched on. If I push and hold the set button while turning it on, it beeps and flashes incessantly... just does that as the ESC gets luke-warm, but still doesn't respond.
A few months ago we sent back a previous BLX185 that came with our Mohave because it just simply stopped working (switch maybe?), and they sent us this new ESC, that is now misbehaving...
Now the BLX185 is discontinued. Is this a poor design, or am I super unlucky to get two bad ESCs?
Is there something I can do to fix it, or should I try warranty, or is there a more reliable ESC to replace it with?
Thanks for anyone's help!

Try to calibrate it. Turn on holding button, release, press again, hold full throttle, press, hold full reverse, press, release, it should beep and be calibrated.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back