Limitless Problem with Limitless cutting out Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim T

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Limitless
  3. Talion
I have been having an issue with my New Limitless doing speed runs. I bought it used with a Hobbywing Max 5 esc with large cap pack and it had a Poseidon motor. I switched to a Cordova 1430 2400kv motor but now as I'm doing a speed run somewhere around 80 mph it cuts out then will power again after a couple seconds. I'm running a 6s Max Amps battery. Motor is not hot and steering never cuts out. Anybody know a common problem that causes this? Once it even cut out right as I was taking off but then cut right back on. BTW, I've been into RC for years so I did the usual replacing remote batteries etc. It's not far away at all when it cuts out so it's not a range issue.

Any ideas? The motor did the same thing in another vehicle running a Castle MM2 esc but I figured the motor was just too much for the esc.

Welcome ??

Running Maxamp batteries both situations? Connector types on battery and motor leads?

Ok, just did another run. Thought I had it fixed because my jumper had gotten messed up but that wasn't it. Esc has EC5 Connectors. Maxamps battery has a XT90 connector so I've got an adapter on one and a jumper on the other. One thing of interest is that the motor leads get pretty hot. The Cordova motor has 6.5 gold bullets and there are 3 extentions going from the esc to the motor but those are 10 awg wire and they get pretty hot very quickly. Since this is obviously a hotter motor could it be too much for the wires? If so how would that manifest?

I did try another 6s batter and it cut out also. I believe a HBR.

Thanks for any help. I did hit 92.7 this time before it cut out. Once it coasts for a couple seconds it powers back up. Also, on my return trip, I nailed it and it didn't cut out but it just seemed slower, like not up to full power.

Really has me scratching my head.

I've got some more XT90 connectors coming so I will be switching them out. I hope that's it.

Thanks for the help.

It’s for sure a big part of it. I’m not familiar with the MaxAmps packs, but they have a bad reputation here on the board. Turnigy Panther Graphene lipos are known as the best around here.

I intend to get some of those Panthers eventually. This Max Amps pack was one I got with a truck lot and it does pretty decent. I knew that alot of people had a negative opinion of them mainly because of the price but it was free to me so might as well use it.

Are all XT90 connectors created equal? i had been using some black ones with covers that didn't need shrink tubing. But I may switch to XT150 for these more powerful motors.

Also, what's a good brand of wire? I'd like to make 3 new jumpers because these 10 awg ones heat up very quickly. Maybe 8 awg?

I intend to get some of those Panthers eventually. This Max Amps pack was one I got with a truck lot and it does pretty decent. I knew that alot of people had a negative opinion of them mainly because of the price but it was free to me so might as well use it.

Are all XT90 connectors created equal? i had been using some black ones with covers that didn't need shrink tubing. But I may switch to XT150 for these more powerful motors.

Also, what's a good brand of wire? I'd like to make 3 new jumpers because these 10 awg ones heat up very quickly. Maybe 8 awg?
I just look for 8AWG pure copper high strand with silicon jacket. Brand means nothing in wire. Avoid CCA.

As far as connectors, I buy only Amass connectors. There are fakes out there so be careful. You can go with the anti-spark connectors on the lipo side if you want to.

If the battery connectors don’t resolve the issue you may consider resoldering the motor connectors and the extensions to be safe anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help. Here is something that is even more confusing. I just did another speed run and first off, I went really slow away from me - maybe 10 to 15mph and it cut out. I didn't let off the throttle but rather floored it and held it there seeing if it would start up again. While I was holding full throttle, I turned the wheels and the steering worked fine. Only when I let off to neutral, then feathered it again would it take off. Drove down all the way to do a speed run and once again had great power but as it passed me (still accelerating) it cut out once again. Best I could manage was 90mph out of 6s but it has lots more. Seems like the 100mph mark is just running from me.

Which Max Amps 6s pack are you running?
What size pinion and spur?
What setting are you on in the Max5 for LVC?

I used both a 25t pinion and 29t pinion and it did it both times. Max Amps is a 5450 mah true 120c. Did it with an hrb 6s also.

No idea on the Max5 lvc. I haven't messed with it. I guess I should figure out how to program it and check that out. The batteries are always freshly charged and it does it right from the beginning.
It has the center spool that came with it.

It could be over amp protection kicking in with the Max5 running a 2400kv Cordova

Wow, if a max5 can't handle the amps from the Cordova what would it take?

I didn’t see an amp draw on the motor specs. The Cordova 1430 2400kv is only 1750w though. If it is anything like my tp 4050cm 3200kv (80k rpm max) it could be quite a large spike at max rpm.

Last edited:
Sounds like either a bad receiver or ESC
Man I hope not. Especially the ESC.
I didn’t see an amp draw on the motor specs. The Cordova 1430 2400kv is only 1750w though. If it is anything like my tp 4050cm 3200kv (80k rpm max) it could be quite a large spike at max rpm.

I tell you though, they cannot use the same rating system for all brands of motors though. The 1515 size castle motors are supposed to be 2500 watts and this thing is WAY more powerful. It's the older 42mm diameter model.

Oh yeah, on my motor analyzer, the Cordova actual ran 2700kv.

What got me though is this last time is cutting out right as I was very slowly taking off and not restarting until I let off and hit the throttle again.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Last edited:
Man I hope not. Especially the ESC.

I tell you though, they cannot use the same rating system for all brands of motors though. The 1515 size castle motors are supposed to be 2500 watts and this thing is WAY more powerful. It's the older 42mm diameter model.

Oh yeah, on my motor analyzer, the Cordova actual ran 2700kv.

What got me though is this last time is cutting out right as I was very slowly taking off and not restarting until I let off and hit the throttle again.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

What type of "motor analyzer" do you have? I'd like to get one for my experiments.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back