Outcast Problem with the 16t pinion gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shingo

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hi, I just tried to install the 16t pinion and it was a disaster. I was able to install it but I was not able to screw in the lock nut.

I was able to screw it a bit but at some point it just got stuck about 3/4 way in. It was not making contact with the motor shaft.
At this point the hex just stripped and now the lock screw is completely stuck :(

The only thing I can think of is maybe there was some defect in the thread of the gear.

I need to buy another one, any recommendation on brand?

Maybe check Robinson Racing. I know they make hardened steel pinions.
If I had to guess, the threadlock used at the factory was jamming the threads. I usually burn off the threadlock and soak parts in brake cleaner. They use red threadlock and it's usually a female dog to deal with. Good thing is that it works...just almost too well.

First choice is Robinson Racing extra hard pinion, but lately I've been running tekno pinions & they're really nice. Mesh really smooth with the Arrma Spur, which tend to be cut quite shallow give it that classic "Arrma Chug". Plus the tekno uses an M4 locknut (yes a 2.5mm hex), which really allow for confident torquing, without worrying about stripping.?

Sure, Robinson motor pinions are high quality compared to the stock arrma pinion. But for bashing, i don't mind to have lower quality.

What is overheating? ESC, motor, battery, is all of the above?

Motor only, I already ordered a YA-0261BK dual fan

ESC was at 134F motor at 185F and battery at 95F

I did run a 4S pack just before running the 6S, without enough cool down

I will try with the fan and a minimum of 20 minutes cool down between run.

If it's still too high, I will try with a 14T pinion

Also I just re-check my gear mesh and it was too tight, so it also contributed to the heat.

Motor only, I already ordered a YA-0261BK dual fan

ESC was at 134F motor at 185F and battery at 95F

I did run a 4S pack just before running the 6S, without enough cool down

I will try with the fan and a minimum of 20 minutes cool down between run.

If it's still too high, I will try with a 14T pinion

Also I just re-check my gear mesh and it was too tight, so it also contributed to the heat.
I would think some motor fans will take care of your motor issues and you should be fine going forward. Just make sure to check your fans each run as they may get damaged, leading to high temp damage potential. ??

I would think some motor fans will take care of your motor issues and you should be fine going forward. Just make sure to check your fans each run as they may get damaged, leading to high temp damage potential. ??

Yeah, I already saw some modification that can be done with epoxy on the fan to make them more bash resistent

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back