Typhon Problems with gears I installed along with slipper eliminator?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooper132

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
  2. Typhon Mega
Arma typhon 4x4. Upgraded to a spectrum 33kv brushless motor with 85a Esc and spectrum 3s Lipo. Last night I put the hot racing slipper eliminator in with 32p 53t spur gear and 20t pinion and it makes the loudest grinding noise and kinda stalls out when I hit the throttle before it takes off like a rocket. Motor and esc get so hot you can’t touch it. The gear mesh is perfect also braking is almost not there?!

Arma typhon 4x4. Upgraded to a spectrum 33kv brushless motor with 85a Esc and spectrum 3s Lipo. Last night I put the hot racing slipper eliminator in with 32p 53t spur gear and 20t pinion and it makes the loudest grinding noise and kinda stalls out when I hit the throttle before it takes off like a rocket. Motor and esc get so hot you can’t touch it. The gear mesh is perfect also braking is almost not there?!
Why the slipper eliminator? Are you speed running the car or general bashing?

Why the slipper eliminator? Are you speed running the car or general bashing?
Honestly just wanted to see how quick I can make it but I’m definitely figuring I’m gonna have to go back to the slipper and a bigger spur gear. Didn’t think it would make my motor and esc this hot after a couple passes. It’s insanely fast but I don’t wanna burn anything up.

Honestly just wanted to see how quick I can make it but I’m definitely figuring I’m gonna have to go back to the slipper and a bigger spur gear. Didn’t think it would make my motor and esc this hot after a couple passes. It’s insanely fast but I don’t wanna burn anything up.
something isnt right for sure, the slipper eliminator shouldnt make that big of a difference to temps imo

Just wanna know why this crazy loud grinding is going on and weirdly my brakes are working like they were before I did this mod. Makes no sense.
Just wanna know why this crazy loud grinding is going on and weirdly my brakes are working like they were before I did this mod. Makes no sense.
something isnt right for sure, the slipper eliminator shouldnt make that big of a difference to temps imo
I hear ya. I figured it would be fine for normal bashing but no more than a few passes to see how fast the mods made it, it’s was ridiculously hot. And I have no clue why the grinding is so loud, brake are barely there, and it stalls badly before it takes off. Irritating for sure.

Last edited:
Maybe the slipper eliminator is bound up in the motor/trans module? Might explain the high temps if something is binding really bad?

Maybe the slipper eliminator is bound up in the motor/trans module? Might explain the high temps if something is binding really bad?
I just took everything apart again and put it back together and it’s the same. I’m thinking there’s bearings or something exploded in the gear box where the motor and slipper clip into. I’m new with these cars so I’m not sure the correct terms for it all lol. I’m gonna open that gear box up and check it out. It has to be something in there that’s not right cuz everything else is good.

It might be worth removing the motor or pinion, or sliding them enough to disengage from the gears, so you can spin the drivetrain without any "drag" from the motor. It might be easier to feel for roughness or dragging, after that.

pinion or spur grinding against the trans module? either that or a bearing? or maybe the center driveshaft is grinding against the motor? The cogging at takeoff is normal and annoying AF. I also run the slipper eliminator in my typhon 3s on 4s geared for 70-75 and I don't get as hot as you. That's with fans though.

I hear ya. I figured it would be fine for normal bashing but no more than a few passes to see how fast the mods made it, it’s was ridiculously hot. And I have no clue why the grinding is so loud, brake are barely there, and it stalls badly before it takes off. Irritating for sure.
I think what you are calling stalling might be cogging..this happens mostly in brushless motors.goes away like you mentioned after a few seconds.as mentioned a slipper eliminator should only be used for speed passes not for bashing..I think you need to re adjust your mesh.i don't know your experience level but maybe you have it to tight and think it's fine..a video of the crunch sound would be nice so we here could help you ..don't know how long you had this Typhon but spur gear and pinnion make a gear noise that's normal and many think there is something wrong.learning how that spur gear mesh sounds when normal helps in future problems when setting the mesh correctly.
Senton has made a valid point .that esc is to small I believe for the gearing your using..why not just get a 100amp esc ? You can grab one cheap on Jenny's RC or ebay .and then you can play with gearing and move up to 3 s

I think what you are calling stalling might be cogging..this happens mostly in brushless motors.goes away like you mentioned after a few seconds.as mentioned a slipper eliminator should only be used for speed passes not for bashing..I think you need to re adjust your mesh.i don't know your experience level but maybe you have it to tight and think it's fine..a video of the crunch sound would be nice so we here could help you ..don't know how long you had this Typhon but spur gear and pinnion make a gear noise that's normal and many think there is something wrong.learning how that spur gear mesh sounds when normal helps in future problems when setting the mesh correctly.
Senton has made a valid point .that esc is to small I believe for the gearing your using..why not just get a 100amp esc ? You can grab one cheap on Jenny's RC or ebay .and then you can play with gearing and move up to 3 s
The mesh is as loose as it possibly can be. I can pull the spur out and slip it back in. I ordered the spectrum 3300kv and 85a sec as a combo. I also have the spectrum 3s Lipo battery along with it. I tried to upload a video but for some reason it’ll only let me upload a picture. I’m definitely going to order either the 100 or 130 amp esc tho. Before I put the slipper eliminator and a 53t spur I hat the regular 91t spur with a 19t pinion and it ran perfectly without stall or grinding. My braking is barely there at all now that I put the slipper eliminator and gearing in which is weird. I’m at a loss. Just gonna go back to a regular slipper clutch and old gearing.

Not so much the Slipper Lockout mod being the issue. IMHO. 32 pitch gears tend to be noisey in general, especialy if Metal Pin. on metal Spur.
If the gear mesh is right, assuming it is. Using Confirmed matched Pitch gears.
You definteley have the Wrong Gear ratios. The fact that braking is next to Nil, is a sign. Also that initial stutter is cogging from being "Overgeared" causing this. And perhaps "way" overgeared because you are using the wrong ESC / Motor setup you have. As a rule, the taller your gearing, the less Braking force you get. And this also taxes the Motor and ESC very much. Heat...

The mesh is as loose as it possibly can be. I can pull the spur out and slip it back in. I ordered the spectrum 3300kv and 85a sec as a combo. I also have the spectrum 3s Lipo battery along with it. I tried to upload a video but for some reason it’ll only let me upload a picture. I’m definitely going to order either the 100 or 130 amp esc tho. Before I put the slipper eliminator and a 53t spur I hat the regular 91t spur with a 19t pinion and it ran perfectly without stall or grinding. My braking is barely there at all now that I put the slipper eliminator and gearing in which is weird. I’m at a loss. Just gonna go back to a regular slipper clutch and old gearing.
3s on a 85 amp ESC? I don't even run any of my 2s cars on any esc below 100 amp..

3s on a 85 amp ESC? I don't even run any of my 2s cars on any esc below 100 amp..
Been running it for 2 months with stock gearing. Motor and esc combo I picked up is rated for 3s. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Not so much the Slipper Lockout mod being the issue. IMHO. 32 pitch gears tend to be noisey in general, especialy if Metal Pin. on metal Spur.
If the gear mesh is right, assuming it is. Using Confirmed matched Pitch gears.
You definteley have the Wrong Gear ratios. The fact that braking is next to Nil, is a sign. Also that initial stutter is cogging from being "Overgeared" causing this. And perhaps "way" overgeared because you are using the wrong ESC / Motor setup you have. As a rule, the taller your gearing, the less Braking force you get. And this also taxes the Motor and ESC very much. Heat...
Good to know I’ll have to fix that

Been running it for 2 months with stock gearing. Motor and esc combo I picked up is rated for 3s. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Agreed.same thought I had mentioned earlier about what he thought was a hesitation or what he calls stalling was actually cogging..
Agreed.same thought I had mentioned earlier about what he thought was a hesitation or what he calls stalling was actually cogging..
Cooper could you show me on the side of the esc where it shows it will hold a 3s lipo? Not that I don't believe you but I want to see it visually.if you don't mind thank you
Also I went through this whole thread but have not seen any photos or a vid of what you have ..showing us a vid of what it's doing helps and pics of the system also helps..pics plz

If you been running that motor for 2 months check bearings in it. Exactly the same symptoms I had in my Infraction when one of the motorbearing gave up.

If you been running that motor for 2 months check bearings in it. Exactly the same symptoms I had in my Infraction when one of the motorbearing gave up.
I honestly think he should just go back to what ever was in his rig from stock.he messed around with to much all to quick .that's the problem with doing to much at the same time.things happen then it's hard to trace back.if you do things in small steps then it's easier to find the issue.i still don't like the 85amp esc with that gearing and on 3s to me it doesn't sound right.put everything back the original way.then see if your heating issues is still there which I doubt it will be ..when ever I change gears I do it one tooth amount at a time..I test it out and if it's all good I move on.now if it's over heating at least I can drop one tooth and see if that was the issue.baby steps goes a long way..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back