Problems with my center diff housing !!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Ive been through 2 center diff housings and can't work out what is causing the problem.
The diff leaks out of the opposite end to the gasket. I've had it apart more times that I can remember.
The metal insert in the plastic diff housing breaks out I can clip it back in but she still leaks.
I've shimmed it using Tohmas p method but keeps happening any tips to stop it happening or why it keeps happening??
Are the hot racing cnc ones one peice maybe that's the soloution ?

OK this is seeming like a common theme. If you completely fill or overfill the diff, it will over pressurize and force out fluid. Did the diff regionally have grease in it or fluid?

OK this is seeming like a common theme. If you completely fill or overfill the diff, it will over pressurize and force out fluid. Did the diff regionally have grease in it or fluid?
The diff has fluid in it. I've always tried not to fill it right up. I don't know if the metal insert is supposed to clip out or is it broken ?

The diff has fluid in it. I've always tried not to fill it right up. I don't know if the metal insert is supposed to clip out or is it broken ?
If the molded in metal insert at one end of the diff comes out,then it is broken.Most likely the bearing going bad.

If the molded in metal insert at one end of the diff comes out,then it is broken.Most likely the bearing going bad.
I thought that was the case but bearing seems fine cheers!!
I'm thinking some fail landings on the rear of the car may push the bone in to the diff shaft and break the metal insert ??
Thanks for the help always better to have a couple of minds on the job :)

I thought that was the case but bearing seems fine cheers!!
I'm thinking some fail landings on the rear of the car may push the bone in to the diff shaft and break the metal insert ??
Thanks for the help always better to have a couple of minds on the job :)

That is a very common cause and most likely what has happened. I've done it myself. I've snapped a couple sun gears in half and I suspect the cause was the same.

drop in a mugen mbx7r eco center diff.....thats what i did...it has a slight rub on the plastic spur gear for a minute or so ....but then your good as gold............you don't need a metal spur gear anyway.....way to noisy

mugen diffs are built way better...with harder steel..........I have only done the center....I don't think the front/rear will fit so easy

When you dropped in the Mugen, did you change the motor pinion as the diff gear is a smaller diameter?

When you dropped in the Mugen, did you change the motor pinion as the diff gear is a smaller diameter?
the spur on the mugen is smaller (46t) but the teeth on both mugen and arrma are all 32p (pitch) so thats not a problem......what is going on exactly ???

obviously you will have to adjust the motor position when changing spur gear sizes

Thanks for the response. Thought it might change the gearing and need a different diameter motor pinion to keep from effecting performance. Had problems with stock diff leaking badly. Thought would try the mugen. Replace the front plastic mount with the aluminum. Back in from a hard bash and so far no diff leaks on my outcast and the talion with stock diff still used.

Rebuilt the Talion center diff with 15000#. It preforms so much different then it did before. Easy wheelies and carry them like the Outcast. Talion center diff was almost dry when pulled down.

drop in a mugen mbx7r eco center diff.....thats what i did...it has a slight rub on the plastic spur gear for a minute or so ....but then your good as gold............you don't need a metal spur gear anyway.....way to noisy

mugen diffs are built way better...with harder steel..........I have only done the center....I don't think the front/rear will fit so easy

Will I need the mugen housing ? Or will the parts fit in the stock aarma ? Sorry newbie here

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back