Programming the BLX 200 ESC with Hobbywing Programmer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfrea

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Anyone know if there is a way to unlock the firmware on the Arrma ESC's? Currently they are locked to only program via the push button and restricted to only a few options. Since they are hobbywing ESC's I wish Arrma would allow programming via the LCD Porgrammer or the PC yet they are locked down. Has anyone found a way around this?

One of the HW programmers does work for the BLX200, I just can't tell you which one.

Will be interested to see if someone has a PN for the one that does work though.

The programmer will not unlock any settings though, if they are locked down they are staying that way, such as the BS 6v BEC for all Nero models. Then they have the nerve to advertise the servos torque rating at 7.2v...

One of the HW programmers does work for the BLX200, I just can't tell you which one.

Will be interested to see if someone has a PN for the one that does work though.

The programmer will not unlock any settings though, if they are locked down they are staying that way, such as the BS 6v BEC for all Nero models. Then they have the nerve to advertise the servos torque rating at 7.2v...

I'd venture to guess it is probably the programmer box that doubles as a lipo checker. I have that one so when I get my Big Rock next week I'll try it out and let you guys know.

image.jpeg
I'd venture to guess it is probably the programmer box that doubles as a lipo checker. I have that one so when I get my Big Rock next week I'll try it out and let you guys know.
Use this programer,but use the option list from the manual.It hooks up through the fan port.Don't really need the programer as i think theres only 4 settings you can change.

Thanks for adding that programming chart. I figured mine out due to lack of options. But it's nice to see a chart for my other Max esc's.

I installed a C.C. BEC on mine set to 7.4v works great.

Thanks for adding that programming chart. I figured mine out due to lack of options. But it's nice to see a chart for my other Max esc's.

I installed a C.C. BEC on mine set to 7.4v works great.
I had the CC bec to but it sent full voltage through my electronics when it failed thats when i switched to the Max8 and Radiolink rx/tx.

Funny thing is the ESC is a MAX8 just with locked features. I'm sure there is a way to bypass this but I don't think anyone has figured it out yet. Its simply a firmware thats locked down.

Has anyone hooked up the blx200 to the hobbywing software and tried to update the firmware as a max8 esc?

it has a firmware patch and limits what you can do unless a hack is figured out in the future...the card makes it easier but only lets you do what the buttons allow..no extra functions..I wish it could be flashed but only HW would have that info...its a safety feature to protect drivetrain and electronics

it has a firmware patch and limits what you can do unless a hack is figured out in the future...the card makes it easier but only lets you do what the buttons allow..no extra functions..I wish it could be flashed but only HW would have that info...its a safety feature to protect drivetrain and electronics
$120 for a max 8

Yes it can be programmed with the led card limited to the 5 options. But have you linked it to the hobbywing software via the LCD card and usb? I'm going to try both my blx185 and blx200 via the computer later and see if I can fool it to update firmware

It can be done but only limited to 5 settings.... no point unless someone comes up with unlocking the software for all settings....

Ok well I tried connecting both the blx185 and blx200 to the hobbywing link software, no good, it won't even communicate with the software via the usb link and LCD programmer. Kinda sucks, why they would lock the max8 (blx200) is beyond me. Not like you can turn off the fail safe thermal protection, or they could have left that one thing intact and let u program the other normal features, mainly the 7.4v BEC. The blx185 (aka. 8bl150) I can understand because there aren't many features to begin with. But this is ridiculous.

Actually sad.... we buy an expensive RC and the ESC is castrated... Especially the LiPo-Cut off voltage settings are important, because an cut off which kills LiPo is NO cut off.
But I think the castrated BLX200 was less expensive than an max8. Every-time and everywhere it´s the same; good engineers do an good job and then comes the accounting and ordered cheeper parts. Thats the way how to destroy an qualitative good project..

Actually sad.... we buy an expensive RC and the ESC is castrated... Especially the LiPo-Cut off voltage settings are important, because an cut off which kills LiPo is NO cut off.
But I think the castrated BLX200 was less expensive than an max8. Every-time and everywhere it´s the same; good engineers do an good job and then comes the accounting and ordered cheeper parts. Thats the way how to destroy an qualitative good project..

Yes I agree, the thing is though, there is no cost savings, all they did was lockout the software. The hardware is exactly the same, plus they come with cap packs, the max8 does not. If anything the blx200 should cost more due to the cap pack. Locking software does not save arrma money. But it does make people want to upgrade to a max8 and makes hobbywing money. That is the most likely reason for the lack of programming.

yes, I know... within a lot of OEM-products it is the same. The hardware can more, just the different brands are have differences.
The high price model will have the most options and expandables... I have seen that with plate setters from Japan which was sealed under different brand name here in Europe..

I had it in the past with an Absima ESC. Not progamable, and .... at least I throw that in the trash box and changed the ESC to a German Company YGE. Since I done that, I never had problems again.

But be honest, before I will throw my money in Hobby Wings throat, I pay maybe 5€ for two LiPo Beeper.
It will have the same effect for my LiPo´s and a bigger effect for my wallet! ;-)

The hobao I just got came with 150 amp hobbywing esc and programming card. Could not get it to work with instructions. Trouble shoot in car manual advised to use fan port and it worked. Still only 5 options so I'm not sure how much ,ore convenient it is than holding and pushing button.

Haven't tried on Nero or Outcast, but will

It works
1488330436652-1847285277.jpg

image.jpg
Close up of part
has tables for and mod numbers for 4 different escs

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back