Granite Progress on my Granite Mega

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumthingez

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 4s
Just an update. I bought a V3 Granite Mega as my first hobby RC in August. I thought the funnest part was gonna be driving the thing (because I didn't know much about the hobby), but once I discovered just how much you could tinker with, I fell in love. My adventure began. First I wanted to deal with the brushed/lipo issues and I wanted more speed. I had a couple of 2s batteries, so going brushless seemed like the best choice so I bought a SW4/1406 5700k combo and installed it. That was a mistake. It had more power, but the motor was just too small. After 1 run, I began to do more research and decided to swap the motor again. I went to my local hobby shop, but all they had in stock was a 1410 3800kv. I knew it might not be the best choice but I figured the Granite weighs 6.5lbs so it might do well. I paired the 3800kv with a 17t pinion, with the 91t spur that gave me a gear ratio of 5.35. I read somewhere that you can gear to around a 4.0 with the Castle motor so after a couple of packs through the truck, I decided to get more power. I live on a ranch and have a couple of dirt hills/ramps and i wanted to be able to back flip. I decided to jump up to a 25t pinion bringing the gear ratio to 3.64, lower than what was recommended, but I figured, why not? That gave me more power and the nice bonus of wheelies. Ran a couple of packs through it before I started having issues with my spur gear. This is when I decided to upgrade to the .08 mod/57t spur. I wanted to keep a similar gear ratio so I went with a 16t pinion (3.56 ratio), this was great but after 1 pack my motor temperature was at 206° F... Waaaaaay too high. I went out and added a heatsink/fan to the motor and brought the temperature down to 120° F. Now I have a 2s brushless Granite that can wheelie and backflip. I'm not sure if this is the best combo, but it seems to be working out.

I run the mega to I run 3660 3300kv on 2s 15/57 with the mega diff's

That’s cool! I wanted that esc/motor combo myself, but it was back ordered when I was looking. I actually purchased one on Amazon and it was never delivered, so I went with Castle.

THE ADDICTION IS REAL.I STARTED WTH A BRUSHED TRAXXAS SLASH. WHAT A MISTAKE.THEN SENTON 3S, SENTON NOW 4,6S.GOT 5 ARRMAZ NOW.WANTING TO GO 8S IN MOJAVE.SOOOOOON.....FASTER,FASTER,FASTER.THIS TIME NEXT YEAR YOU'LL BE CHARGING 6S PACKS...LOL

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back