Progressive and/or digressive 2 stage dampers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ari33

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
While trying to learn a bit more about damper tech for rc cars I came across this video showing a variable damper for a 1/10 scale rc touring car.

I love how in theory it could also be made to be a 2 stage (fast bound & slow rebound) with the addition of a one way valve as used in conventional 2 stage rc dampers or even reversed to be a digressive damper.... or even progressive AND.. digressive on the same stroke for use with progressive springs.

Tuning would probably be difficult but the damping performance would be incredible once tuned.

What other similar innovations are out there and are there any progressive/digressive damper options available for 1/8 scale?

Another great video explaining how digressive, linear and progressive dampers work and when they should be used..

...Edit- and another interesting piece of info..

http://autopitstop.net/car-improvements/progressive-dampers-vs-digressive-dampers/ said: "
One of the reason rally cars are able to do what they do, is a specially tuned suspension. The other reason is they use shock absorbers with digressive valving. Digressive valving is a revolutionary way of valving shocks that is entirely different than in usual shock absorber design. Traditionally shocks have more damping force at higher shaft velocities, and that’s why they are called progressive shock absorbers. These shock absorber design have multi-stage valving to cater to various types of road conditions. Despite of these multi-stage valving, they are quite different from digressive valving, which is opposite of how shocks have been traditionally valved. A digressive shock absorber has stiff, progressive damping at low shaft speeds (less than 3 inches per second). This helps to control car body motion like roll, dive and squat. At this point, it functions like a typical stiff racing shock absorber. At higher shaft speeds, between 3 to 10 inch per second the damping force is more or less constant despite the rapid change in shaft velocity! The result is the suspension is kept supple in response to bumps and irregularities in the road, therefore traction is maintained on bumpy roads by reducing suspension hop, yet provides a firm ride, even at the high damping rates needed for body motion control. First used with success in off-road racing, digressive shock absorbers have only recently made their way into the on-road racing area."

I have a Aero engineering background and a mini lathe on my workbench so I might start expermenting with some different damper designs with the above damping types for my Typhon v4 at some point, see what I can come up with. If I am succesful and anyone is interested in something like this feel free to add your name below.

Last edited:
Traxxas has this, they call it VDK (variable damping kit). I run it in all 5 of my traxxas trucks. I run GTR shocks on all of them. On my stampede and ejato, I drilled the pistons out as the ones that come in the kit are made for the revo and I think X01, so the holes are tiny. Still, it allows for 2 hole compression and 4 hole return so they can be set up to deal with big jumps better while not being really bouncy in the rough stuff. Going too thick with the oil causes the pistons to break in half though.

I think MIP has some as well as M2C and even RPM had a 2 stage piston. I never tried those, just traxxas's.

Traxxas has this, they call it VDK (variable damping kit). I run it in all 5 of my traxxas trucks. I run GTR shocks on all of them. On my stampede and ejato, I drilled the pistons out as the ones that come in the kit are made for the revo and I think X01, so the holes are tiny. Still, it allows for 2 hole compression and 4 hole return so they can be set up to deal with big jumps better while not being really bouncy in the rough stuff. Going too thick with the oil causes the pistons to break in half though.

I think MIP has some as well as M2C and even RPM had a 2 stage piston. I never tried those, just traxxas's.

Thanks. Thats interesting, I'll need to read up on it. Do they use digressive or progressive damper body liners too?

Edit- The VDK dampers look like normal 2 stage dampers, I think you must have missed the progressive part in the video.

Thanks. Thats interesting, I'll need to read up on it. Do they use digressive or progressive damper body liners too?

Edit- The VDK dampers look like normal 2 stage dampers, I think you must have missed the progressive part in the video.
Yeah, I didn't catch that... was working and didn't watch the video, was just reading. The only "progressive" thing I use are the springs, I run RC Ravel dual rates (so not really progressive I guess) on one of my revos, stampede and ejato. I just use normal traxxas springs on my nitro revos with the 2 stage pistons.

I don't know very much about suspension stuff but I do know that these are out there. Is this kind of what you are looking for?

https://www.visionracingproducts.co...s-8-Hole-13mm-for-Kyosho-XRay-VRP8H13GCKY.htm

Yeah, Wow, thats actually really cool.

Its actually a far better idea than the progressive/digressive liner inserts approach.
Its not dependant on the pistons position on the stroke which should make the car handle far more consistantly and work in every car attidude, in any combination of throttling, braking, cornering... as well as the jumps. Price isnt too excessive either imo. Love it!

Thanks for sharing.

Edit-

Looks pretty effective to me..

Last edited:
ok who is going to try those first??

Hopefully me. I've sent them an email asking what ones will fit and best config for the Typhon v4.

I'll post on here if I get a reply.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back