Mojave Project Aero Max - Arrma 6s based speed runner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibertyMKiii

Aerodynamics speed junkie
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Mojave
  3. Typhon 6s
I would like to introduce to you a new project of mine. This one is going to be called Aero Max as the goal was to reduce the aerodynamic frontal area of a 1/7 scale-sized car. It will be a speed runner so I have placed it in the speed run builds part of the forum.

This project has 3 phases.

For your viewing pleasure, this is Phase I and currently where I am at.

I have been told by @Tex Koder that this is going to blow some minds and I hope it does!!! The real mind-blowing part will be revealed later, in Phase II of the project, but Phase I is very cool already and I just had to share with you where it is at for now.

I also hope that it inspires you to build something unique and handmade. You will see in the following photos that I am using simple materials that anyone can obtain. No special tools that you likely do not already own. DO IT, make something interesting!!!

Materials list:
  • Arrma 6s car (Mojave Chassis, Mojave front arms, Senton rear arms.)
  • Loctite expanding foam
  • Sheetrock joint compound
  • Fiberglass mat
  • Polyester resin
  • 1.5” chip brush
  • Sanding block with 150 grit sandpaper
  • Serrated kitchen knife
  • Painter’s tape
  • Wax (car wax or any type really)
  • Glad cling wrap
  • Dremmel tool
To begin I wrapped the chassis servo motor etc in glad cling wrap to isolate it from the foam I would be using.
I like this Loctite foam best over some others as it has far fewer bubbles developed inside and is very dense which makes it great for shaping.

The initial goal here is to shape a body very slip-fitting to the chassis and able to fit 2 reasonably sized 3cell LiPo packs. I have no interest in making the body shaped for downforce, just the ultimate slim/slippery shape. More on downforce in the next post.

I put tape on top of a board so I can move the car around. On the tape, I applied wax and this keeps the foam from sticking. The Foam does stick to the press and seal glad wrap which you want so that when you sand on it the foam stays attached to the car. (Yes it looks like a giant glob of marshmallows, shaving cream, or whipped cream)

1666106972898.png

After letting this solidify for a day I began rough shaping with the serrated kitchen knife. Inside is the TP4070, motor mount, and servo so that I could determine how tall the body needs to be. I would use a hex wrench and poke through the foam to see how far down these components were.

This was after the first round of rough cuts.

1666107221424.png

After this I did some more cutting to round the shape and would then switch over to a sanding block with 150 grit paper for some fine shaping.
At this point you can see a nice rounded profile is starting to take shape and looking much better!

1666107307264.png

So what is next and how do we get some downforce into the design? I am glad you asked ;)

Foam shaping on the a-arm to make the a-arms into wings or airfoils of course! Prepare to have your mind blow part 1.
Just like before they start as cream puffs :LOL:

(I taped over the ends to not distrub the mounting points)

1666107568619.png

Lots of cutting and sanding to get them into the shape needed.

1666107502017.png

For all of these parts they will be skinned in fiberglass.
I built a simple Jig to hold the arms while I drapped fiberglass mat over the shape. 1 to 2 layers was all it needed.
*** Reminder safety first!!! Gloves, mask, fans / ventillation are highly recommended ***

Pre-cutting your fiberglass into managable sizes before starting makes the work considerably less frustrating! I also prefer the chip brushes about hald the brush lengh and just cut them with scissors before beginning.

1666107728818.png

After fiberglass installed on the arms.

1666107655472.png

After this I used a Dremmel tool to clean up the edges and cut off excess fiberglass.

Final product, Due to the steering link the lower arm is pretty mild and the upper arm has a more agressive airfoil camber angle. I may need to reduce this but figured I would start out agressive with high downfroce initially.

1666107933388.png

Here is a view of just how compact this car is going to be compared to the Delta Plastiks WR Speed body!
Reducing the aero drag should net significnatly more efficient speed runs!?

1666108015574.png

This is where I am at for now! I hope you enjoy it and feel inspired!!!!!
More to come as I work on this further!

I would like to introduce to you a new project of mine. This one is going to be called Aero Max as the goal was to reduce the aerodynamic frontal area of a 1/7 scale-sized car. It will be a speed runner so I have placed it in the speed run builds part of the forum.

This project has 3 phases.

For your viewing pleasure, this is Phase I and currently where I am at.

I have been told by @Tex Koder that this is going to blow some minds and I hope it does!!! The real mind-blowing part will be revealed later, in Phase II of the project, but Phase I is very cool already and I just had to share with you where it is at for now.

I also hope that it inspires you to build something unique and handmade. You will see in the following photos that I am using simple materials that anyone can obtain. No special tools that you likely do not already own. DO IT, make something interesting!!!

Materials list:
  • Arrma 6s car (Mojave Chassis, Mojave front arms, Senton rear arms.)
  • Loctite expanding foam
  • Sheetrock joint compound
  • Fiberglass mat
  • Polyester resin
  • 1.5” chip brush
  • Sanding block with 150 grit sandpaper
  • Serrated kitchen knife
  • Painter’s tape
  • Wax (car wax or any type really)
  • Glad cling wrap
  • Dremmel tool
To begin I wrapped the chassis servo motor etc in glad cling wrap to isolate it from the foam I would be using.
I like this Loctite foam best over some others as it has far fewer bubbles developed inside and is very dense which makes it great for shaping.

The initial goal here is to shape a body very slip-fitting to the chassis and able to fit 2 reasonably sized 3cell LiPo packs. I have no interest in making the body shaped for downforce, just the ultimate slim/slippery shape. More on downforce in the next post.

I put tape on top of a board so I can move the car around. On the tape, I applied wax and this keeps the foam from sticking. The Foam does stick to the press and seal glad wrap which you want so that when you sand on it the foam stays attached to the car. (Yes it looks like a giant glob of marshmallows, shaving cream, or whipped cream)

View attachment 250755

After letting this solidify for a day I began rough shaping with the serrated kitchen knife. Inside is the TP4070, motor mount, and servo so that I could determine how tall the body needs to be. I would use a hex wrench and poke through the foam to see how far down these components were.

This was after the first round of rough cuts.

View attachment 250756

After this I did some more cutting to round the shape and would then switch over to a sanding block with 150 grit paper for some fine shaping.
At this point you can see a nice rounded profile is starting to take shape and looking much better!

View attachment 250757

So what is next and how do we get some downforce into the design? I am glad you asked ;)

Foam shaping on the a-arm to make the a-arms into wings or airfoils of course! Prepare to have your mind blow part 1.
Just like before they start as cream puffs :LOL:

(I taped over the ends to not distrub the mounting points)

View attachment 250759

Lots of cutting and sanding to get them into the shape needed.

View attachment 250758

For all of these parts they will be skinned in fiberglass.
I built a simple Jig to hold the arms while I drapped fiberglass mat over the shape. 1 to 2 layers was all it needed.
*** Reminder safety first!!! Gloves, mask, fans / ventillation are highly recommended ***

Pre-cutting your fiberglass into managable sizes before starting makes the work considerably less frustrating! I also prefer the chip brushes about hald the brush lengh and just cut them with scissors before beginning.

View attachment 250761

After fiberglass installed on the arms.

View attachment 250760

After this I used a Dremmel tool to clean up the edges and cut off excess fiberglass.

Final product, Due to the steering link the lower arm is pretty mild and the upper arm has a more agressive airfoil camber angle. I may need to reduce this but figured I would start out agressive with high downfroce initially.

View attachment 250766

Here is a view of just how compact this car is going to be compared to the Delta Plastiks WR Speed body!
Reducing the aero drag should net significnatly more efficient speed runs!?

View attachment 250768

This is where I am at for now! I hope you enjoy it and feel inspired!!!!!
More to come as I work on this further!

Another Awesome Build by LibertyMKiii ! 💪

This One will definitely melt peoples minds!!!
They have no idea what else is coming.. 🤣

Kramer.gif

Very nice idea. Minimize the frontal area. Will it remain open wheel?

...... hmmm ......

Can't confirm or deny..

Aero Max looks like a sea turtle somehow ;)

HAHAHAHA...
I had a similar image in my mind... and stated as such to Liberty with an turtle emoji..
Before he even started cutting..

Very nice idea. Minimize the frontal area. Will it remain open wheel?

Aero Max looks like a sea turtle somehow ;)
Yes, a sea turtle was exactly what I thought it looked like also. I think the tail does it....

There will be something covering the wheels/tires, but that is saved for Phase II of the build reveal. I am hoping to fiberglass the main body this week and move over to the wheel cover project next week.

Making it happen!(y) You had mentioned this idea a bit back and I'm glad to see it coming to light. Cant wait👌👍👀
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...-in-my-lane-after-this-post.44652/post-619625

Ah yes, and @Tex Koder and I may still collaborate on a clam shell 3d printed airfoil for the a-arms.
It would be massively helpful if we could get a highly accurate 3d scan of the factory arms.

On that subject I chose the Mojave Arm over the Senton or Typhon because I actually wanted more surface area for the wing. I was tempted to go with the outcast/Kraton but that would have been a bit excessive.

The Mojave vs Senton 6s arms for reference:

1666116767920.png
1666116790167.png

#beefy

1666116872936.png

I love it! it's like a very long typhon body (limitless would be far wider than this)
the aero work on the arms looks awesome!

the wider front track and narrower rear track should mean MUCH more stability at speed

Thank you!
I'll admit I am debuting this project a bit early. I plan to sand the arms down and do some body filler and paint, but at the same time, I want people to see the ugly side so they can tell how easy it really is to make something like this.

All of this was done over the past 10 days and I do little spurts of 30 mins to 1 hour here and there when I have extra time. Lots of time in between waiting on the foam to harden or the joint compound to dry.

The project can seem to big to tackle, but when you break it up into small tasks for each day it isn't bad at all.

Going to be a rocket! Turtle...it's the same as calling a big guy "tiny'. :LOL:(y)
If a turtle paint job wasn't so bad for visibility Id considering breaking out the airbrush and making it look like a sea turtle!
It is an art / sculpture project afterall.

A small decal would work too...just saying.;)
"Honu"
1666118200269.png

Ah yes, and @Tex Koder and I may still collaborate on a clam shell 3d printed airfoil for the a-arms.
It would be massively helpful if we could get a highly accurate 3d scan of the factory arms.

On that subject I chose the Mojave Arm over the Senton or Typhon because I actually wanted more surface area for the wing. I was tempted to go with the outcast/Kraton but that would have been a bit excessive.

The Mojave vs Senton 6s arms for reference:

View attachment 250790View attachment 250791

#beefy

View attachment 250792
You probably have looked into getting the arms 3d scanned...?
I don't know, but I cant see it costing all that much for a scan and a file.:unsure:
From there @Tex Koder could add to the file to make it what you want?

Sorry, just got me excited with this one.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::censored:

Last edited:
A small decal would work too...just saying.;)
"Honu"
View attachment 250801

You probably have looked into getting the arms 3d scanned...?
I don't know, but I cant see it costing all that much for a scan and a file.:unsure:
From there @Tex Koder could add to the file to make it what you want?

Sorry, just got me excited with this one.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::censored:

Challenge Accepted!

Tex and I are locals and have met up a few times....
But don't be jealous, I would never try to get between you two :love: :love: 🥰
It's all just a big ole love triangle!! And RC cars are in the middle of it 😂😍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back