Mojave Project Aero Max - Arrma 6s based speed runner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My choice of words might have had a negative tone. Sorry if that was the case. I appreciate you input and comments. I absolutely don't know everything and always open to learning.

I suppose my point is that it's hard to get this stuff right with rc cars. We cannot fully copy the real cars.

I read quite alot on ground effect and airfoil near the ground plane. Everything is dependent on the cord length and distance from the ground. My understanding from what I read is that our cars are too close to the ground. It seemed the boundary layer is an issue with air gaps under the vehicle less than 60mm. That's low for a 1:1 car but really high for an rc car.
No worries man.

I think the ground effect airfoils are also going to be adversely affected by the scaling issue mentioned above, but a blended direct downforce approach may work well? i guess you're about to find out!

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

No worries man.

I think the ground effect airfoils are also going to be adversely affected by the scaling issue mentioned above, but a blended direct downforce approach may work well? i guess you're about to find out!

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Exactly, a blended approach is best with a little more bias on the elements on the top side of the vehicle given the likely issues with the bottom side.

A small amount of progress today. Another lunch break well spent!

First a few layers of PVA brushed on. This stuff is basically liquid plastic that you can spray or brush on. This is all rough and not perfect so brushed on was the method of choice for this. Had this been the inside of a mold I always spray it on.
I also put some wax on it after this dried to to see if it helps the fiberglass seperate.

1666724057266.png

Then came the fiberglass. The particualr chopped strand mat I have is rather thick so I only put 1 layer on. I'll evaluate it after and see if it needs a second or possibly just certain areas that need additional strength. I didnt want to add too much weight by adding un necessary layers.

1666724204314.png

The fiberglass turns nearly clear so it is honestly a bit hard to see, but its on there...

A small amount of progress today. Another lunch break well spent!

First a few layers of PVA brushed on. This stuff is basically liquid plastic that you can spray or brush on. This is all rough and not perfect so brushed on was the method of choice for this. Had this been the inside of a mold I always spray it on.
I also put some wax on it after this dried to to see if it helps the fiberglass seperate.

View attachment 252135

Then came the fiberglass. The particualr chopped strand mat I have is rather thick so I only put 1 layer on. I'll evaluate it after and see if it needs a second or possibly just certain areas that need additional strength. I didnt want to add too much weight by adding un necessary layers.

View attachment 252136

The fiberglass turns nearly clear so it is honestly a bit hard to see, but its on there...

Looking Great my friend.

Are you going to give it that good ol' hands-on Manual elbow grease sanding routine soon?
Or should I bring over the portable belt sander??

Looking Great my friend.

Are you going to give it that good ol' hands-on Manual elbow grease sanding routine soon?
Or should I bring over the portable belt sander??

Yeah this rounded shape is not good for a belt sander. I'll just be using a small sanding block and some adhesive-backed 150 grit.

I actually thought about a paint job like this but that's a really hard paint job to pull off.

Very funny @Doom!

No need to make it so difficult..
Just snatch one of Subway 's signage when they're not looking and make it into a "car body wrap" deal on your Aero Max

,Boom! paint job done.

Last edited:
Looking at this now. The moment calculations to try and figure out an actual numerical downforce would be fun on this one, I bet that thing is going to load up that outer spherical and push it around. I can't wait to see it work! great job!
There is a bit more to this project that further change the aero. Gotta wrap up this phase i first and then I can reveal the cool stuff.

There is a bit more to this project that further change the aero. Gotta wrap up this phase i first and then I can reveal the cool stuff.

Like a Big Beef Burrito!
Hurry up! and wrap it , I'm hungry..!!

Give me that sandwich already.

I know too much....

I may not be able to contain myself!!

I'll see what I can do to create a 3D "cast" of the upper arms..
Once I get that drawn up ,I should be able to help you with more customizable wings: types / angles.

I'll see what I can do to create a 3D "cast" of the upper arms..
Once I get that drawn up ,I should be able to help you with more customizable wings: types / angles.
I figure if we were to make a 3d printed version it would be a little more asymmetrical and then have pieces that screw on for additional downforce tuning.

I figure if we were to make a 3d printed version it would be a little more asymmetrical and then have pieces that screw on for additional downforce tuning.

I'll get it done.
Let you take a peek once it's a bit more refined...

I'm almost there.. ;)

Screen shot from a part of my YT video showing this project. (hopefully you are already subscribed to my YT Channel)

This one shows the Aerodynamic frontal area compared to the FC100 pretty well although its missing the front arms on the side and tires, which make up quite a lot of the aero frontal area.

front end.PNG

Just throwing it out there.. A crazy concept >

Bi-plane Suspension Arms

Rough Draft
(front perspective)
1667145964672.png

(side view)
1667146156619.png

(front edge)
1667146067122.png

(top view)
1667146001590.png

(rear view)
1667146360660.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back