Fireteam Project Failure - A noobs attempt to keep a Fireteam on the road for more then 24 hours

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real fun begins. I grabbed some different shock and diff oils to start experimenting.

20230502_205134.jpg

Well I didnt get much time lately with the family evacuated due to wild fires... long story... anyhoo

I ordered some Scorched RC hubs front and back with some shock towers in carbon and some titanium pillow balls.
Excited to try those out with the larger and better Ceramic bearings

Hope your place and surrounding areas escaped the fires ok!
It wasnt great. 4 houses lost and one about 8km away was burnt to the foundation. Evacuating 15 chickens and 18 goats plus 2 cats, a bunny, 3 kids and two dogs was ... cough... interesting... my place is ok... things are getting back to normal for us for the most part.

20230521_082942.jpg

The fire path was extremely erratic and the fire fighters obviously saved a number of houses by how far it burnt up close to some of them.

Right now it's really bad up north but the last few days have brought some desperately needed heavy rains.
Things seem to have calmed down a bit around us but it's supposed to be a dry hot summer which isnt great.
The other day the smoke was so bad I couldnt see trees 200 yards from me.

The fire path was extremely erratic and the fire fighters obviously saved a number of houses by how far it burnt up close to some of them.

Right now it's really bad up north but the last few days have brought some desperately needed heavy rains.
Things seem to have calmed down a bit around us but it's supposed to be a dry hot summer which isnt great.
The other day the smoke was so bad I couldnt see trees 200 yards from me.
My heart goes out. It’s been terrible to watch these massive fires over the past few years, I just can’t imagine the burden of that kind of stress living in an affected area. Here in Vermont our sky has been hazy for a couple of weeks due to the smoke from your neck of the woods. Gives one a sense of the scale of this. God bless y’all, and hang in there. Glad this round is done for now.

Appreciate it!
I don't even want to compare my situation to the one for those that came home to nothing. Feels more like a bad dream now, and things are getting generally back to normal. Ive driven most of the areas and the burn pattern is extremely erratic so the wind and dryness were large contributors. I think the northern towns were allowed back in too.

I got some big bore shock off ebay so im trying those out now with 50 wt losi shock oil.
The scorched rc stuff left the uk yesterday so ill should get that stuff late next week.

20230525_192319.jpg

Info on those big bore Shocks?

This is the description on ebay. not sure if i can post a direct link

High Performance Big Bore Shocks W/ 4.5mm shaft for Arrma Fireteam1/7 Silver

US $34.39
ApproximatelyC $46.45
Was US $42.99
Save US $8.60 (20% off)

Sold by King Hobby. I got two sets just as backups but decided to try them out with different weights to see what the changes are.
The lower weight seems to prevent a lot of the high speed rollovers but bottom out faster.
Car seems stable and i didnt have too much trouble fitting them. I haven't set droop yet but overall they seem pretty good.
Didnt come with a boot or the bladder seals AR330208 so you need more of those or use your current. I just got another set.

Only weird thing is the main shock body doesn't have a squared off ring for a wrench but I got the top off fairly easily anyways.

Appreciate it!
I don't even want to compare my situation to the one for those that came home to nothing. Feels more like a bad dream now, and things are getting generally back to normal. Ive driven most of the areas and the burn pattern is extremely erratic so the wind and dryness were large contributors. I think the northern towns were allowed back in too.

I got some big bore shock off ebay so im trying those out now with 50 wt losi shock oil.
The scorched rc stuff left the uk yesterday so ill should get that stuff late next week.

View attachment 302102
The shocks sure look nice, would you mind checking to see what the full extended and full compressed length of them are compared to stock? Depending on the measurements might help with drive axles popping out too.

I ordered a set just to try out, they were intended for Notorious/Kraton/Fireteam. Front and rear ended up being 5mm short in comparison eye to eye so I used them in my hybrid Tyjave. The springs were WAY too high in K-value, so I used Mojave springs and designed up a collar @Tex Koder was kind enough to print because the body mount is smaller diameter if you guys are interested.

0871DB3A-E445-4521-955A-55A723767200.jpeg

The shocks sure look nice, would you mind checking to see what the full extended and full compressed length of them are compared to stock? Depending on the measurements might help with drive axles popping out too.
The fronts have a much wider variance.

The tops of each shock are properly lined up with the 0 mark line and not the top of the ruler despite what the perspective of the picture shows.

20230602_141303.jpg

20230602_141339.jpg

20230602_141755.jpg

Yeah that’s a pretty different design now that I compared them both. Much less modification to test those.

Yeah. Both are longer for these with the front being maybe a 1/4 inch longer
Instead of the rod being longer for travel in the rear, they only increased the body length. Does the chassis bottom out before the shaft?

Getting the rear hubs on. Had to go out and buy a heat gun because all the 5mm allens were seized in the hubs. Worked like a charm, you guys were spot on with that.

The ceramic bearings are much bigger.

20230605_092911.jpg

20230605_092938.jpg

Let's just put it this way.. it ain't the rig!! 🤣
+1
The stock inner Hub BB's do fail sooner than later. Been there. We all been through this. Use Upgrade brand BB's and Not the Stocker Arrma replacements. think TRBRC, Avids, Jims etc. Ceramic BB's won't necessarily last longer than Upgrade Chromium ones. And they still need maintenance. Considering the price of Ceramic BB's. I feel Ceramics give you best bang for the buck when used in BLX Motors.
Yeah freezing temps = Brittle plastics. Any RC.
So even a slight love tap can usually shatter plastics in the Cold weather.
When the front CVD's pop out the Output cups, you should remove the camber spacers and use 5mm of spacers on the outer shock shafts. No more popped CVD's

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back