Typhon Project Fast & Cheap - Typhon 6s Speed runner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I can't see myself ever trying to build a speed runner, watching you put this thing together creates a feeling of wanting to give it a shot. wish I had a better budget to buy rollers and give the speed show a try. Maybe one day. For now, I'll just keep following along on your builds and the countless others, here on the forum. These types of builds used to be so one sided with Slash owners. Nice to see that the Arrma guys are taking such a big part of the segment away. ????
I got this Typhon 6s for $200 used! With a spool and some GRP tires you could be going fast for a reasonable price.

@GMballistic
Sorry I missed you, I assumed you have no life and live on this forum like I do o_O:ROFLMAO:

I went out and ran it today. During my 6s run I had to back out of the throttle because the Arrma body flew off. I was using Velcro and it came unglued :(
Still 93mph was decent. I am sure it has much more in it.
20191119_152603.jpg

Battery was not fully charged either...

Also prior to the 6s run I ran 4s and ran 74mph (this was fully maxed out on 29/34)
The motor was barely warm so I am certain I could gear up more on 4s!
20191119_145800.jpg

The car was straight as an arrow under throttle and braking. Very happy with the results so far!

I got this Typhon 6s for $200 used! With a spool and some GRP tires you could be going fast for a reasonable price.

@GMballistic
Sorry I missed you, I assumed you have no life and live on this forum like I do o_O:ROFLMAO:

I went out and ran it today. During my 6s run I had to back out of the throttle because the Arrma body flew off. I was using Velcro and it came unglued :(
Still 93mph was decent. I am sure it has much more in it.
View attachment 54409
Battery was not fully charged either...

Also prior to the 6s run I ran 4s and ran 74mph (this was fully maxed out on 29/34)
The motor was barely warm so I am certain I could gear up more on 4s!
View attachment 54410

The car was straight as an arrow under throttle and braking. Very happy with the results so far!
Are you using the drag brake as we talked about? Did the nose stay down after the body flew off?

Are you using the drag brake as we talked about? Did the nose stay down after the body flew off?
I don't believe the BLX system has drag brake? I think that feature is only on aftermarket ESCs.

I do have that setup on my unlimited project with the 8s XLX esc.

Front end never lifted. The car is setup with a decent amount of rake (front lower than the back) and the Limitless springs are very stiff.

Getting closer to being ready to test the aero body, but just running the Arrma Typhon body for now.

I don't believe the BLX system has drag brake? I think that feature is only on aftermarket ESCs.

I do have that setup on my unlimited project with the 8s XLX esc.

Front end never lifted. The car is setup with a decent amount of rake (front lower than the back) and the Limitless springs are very stiff.

Getting closer to being ready to test the aero body, but just running the Arrma Typhon body for now.
I thought you could also do a drag brake on a radio ??‍♂️

After testing the car out successfully today I have mounted the body. I ended up moving the reciever and antenna for this one to the stock location, but it will remain in the rear/tail on the Limitless project.

Still need to brace the rear sides and make a wing. You can see the extra height available for suspension travel or BSR foams extra diameter.

20191119_203132.jpg

20191119_203042.jpg

After testing the car out successfully today I have mounted the body. I ended up moving the reciever and antenna for this one to the stock location, but it will remain in the rear/tail on the Limitless project.

Still need to brace the rear sides and make a wing. You can see the extra height available for suspension travel or BSR foams extra diameter.

View attachment 54430

View attachment 54431
Is this the final body height for this chassis?

Is this the final body height for this chassis?
The front can go all the way to sitting on the ground. The rear is sitting right above the shocks while retaining a ride height that can handle a pebble or small rock in the road:

20191119_210532.jpg

The front can go all the way to sitting on the ground. The rear is sitting right above the shocks while retaining a ride height that can handle a pebble or small rock in the road:

View attachment 54433
How are you restricting shock height? Droop screws or inserts in the shocks?

How are you restricting shock height? Droop screws or inserts in the shocks?
Droop screws have worked very well for me so far, that is all I am using.
This car is amazingly stable and in control at 90+mph

Droop screws have worked very well for me so far, that is all I am using.
This car is amazingly stable and in control at 90+mph
That was my plan as well but others have chastised me for the thought. On my 3S I used tubing inside the shock as I believe I saw @GMballistic do that before. But the 3S doesn’t have droop screws, so shock tubes was my only choice.

That was my plan as well but others have chastised me for the thought. On my 3S I used tubing inside the shock as I believe I saw @GMballistic do that before. But the 3S doesn’t have droop screws, so shock tubes was my only choice.
Yeah the function of the tube is to limit the extension travel, but I cannot see any problem with using the droop screws. (it was engineered for it)
On your 3s model that would probably be the only option, other than strapping the suspension with zip ties or some similar method.

Yeah the function of the tube is to limit the extension travel, but I cannot see any problem with using the droop screws. (it was engineered for it)
On your 3s model that would probably be the only option, other than strapping the suspension with zip ties or some similar method.
I needed to rebuild the shocks anyways. The oil was 30W (too thin imo) and dirty. I replaced with 80W and inserted the 10mm tubes. A-arms are perfectly parallel to the ground now. That’s what I was aiming for. ??

Should have my "wing" and tail on by the end of the week. I might actually need to raise the car back up a bit as the nose is very low.
20191204_203114.jpg

Wing and tail are made from 1.5mm fiberglass plate.
Wing: (if you call that a wing)
20191204_204304.jpg

Tail is uhhhhhh in progress. Fingers crossed that the JB Weld holds.

20191204_192957.jpg

After seeing that exhaust manifold you built, I get it now. Whatever it takes, you'll get it done right.
Thanks man!

Typically I have no idea what I am doing, and simply figure it out along the way. This typically involves some trial and error!
Once I have an idea that I believe is "the better way to do it" then I have to get it done in that way.

In the case of that exhaust manifold all the commercially available exhaust manifolds went down and under the car then came right back up after going under the crossmember. That was way to inefficient for me :ROFLMAO:

When it comes to the body on an RC car, there is no driver inside. Thinking about aerodynamics, what is the point of making it like a 1:1 car. To me function and purpose ranks #1

Did a test today with smaller gearing that I'll talk about further later on.
On 26/34 it hit 90.9 mph which was a surprise to me.
After this I decided I would do a few more passes to run the battery down a bit. The car moved a good two feet out of the path I planned for it...
I clipped the blue reflector in the road at 85-90 mph. The Typhon proceeded to cartwheel for something like 600 feet! I have never seen so many cartwheels!!! Blown away that the carnage was not worse. At least for now based on initial inspection it appears that the following are broken or missing:
Rear hub, rear axle/dog bone, and the GRP tires are beat up bad!
20191223_154658.jpg

20191223_154650.jpg

20191223_155018.jpg

eBay kit breakers here I come.

Finished my first 6 tests and pretty sure the next one will be a reduction in speed.
Also found a good run spot near work which is a win!
Nothing better for your work day than getting in a speedrun on lunch break!

As a recap this is a Typhon with Limitless shock towers, Limitless shocks, trimmed wing, and a center spool installed.
It retains the original BLX motor and ESC. I bought this car for $200 and it was well used already for many years as a basher.

I always warm up / get the car dialed in on 4s then move up to 6s.
Blue line is calculator speed and gears. Orange line is the actual speed it went. The very bottom in grey is a calculation of how efficient it was attempting to reach the theoretical calculator speed. Today's test was 31 pinion 34 spur.

First set of data is on a 4s SMC 6000mAh LiPo
BLX system tests 4s Capture.JPG

Second set of data is running a 6s Turnigy Panther 5000 mAh LiPo.

BLX system tests Capture.JPG

It appears that I have found peak gearing for the Typhon on the BLX system. My suspicion is severe amp limiting cut off will occur when I try the 4th data point (gear 34/34).

I can tell this motor/esc is a little tired (my Kraton went faster on the stock BLX system)

After that next test is complete I will repeat with the streamliner body and praying it shows its worth :cold: ?‍♂️

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back