Typhon Project Fast & Cheap - Typhon 6s Speed runner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your threads on these speed runners are awesome! Looking forward to seeing the rest of the journey!

Thanks!
I am just about to sell the Unlimited project and then this project will really take off and start going fast!!!

I want to see how far the BLX2050kv motor will go and then I'll swap in a TP Power motor. Given that I have seen this BLX2050kv motor go 140+mph I figure it will be good to use for getting the car dialed in at higher speeds.

Thanks!
I am just about to sell the Unlimited project and then this project will really take off and start going fast!!!

I want to see how far the BLX2050kv motor will go and then I'll swap in a TP Power motor. Given that I have seen this BLX2050kv motor go 140+mph I figure it will be good to use for getting the car dialed in at higher speeds.
That’s awesome! Why are you selling the unlimited project?

I’m looking to pick up a used typhon like you to build a GT car. Hopefully I luck out like you! ?

That’s awesome! Why are you selling the unlimited project?

I’m looking to pick up a used typhon like you to build a GT car. Hopefully I luck out like you! ?

I suppose the main reason is because I need the money. If money were no issue I'd keep it...

My biggest fear is a crash. I DO NOT want to make a carbon chassis again. It was too much manual labor. The Typhon has replacement chassis on eBay for $9.00 and that was the primary reason I will continue this Typhon project and sell the Unlimited.

Also if you look at the fastest 1/8 cars versus the fastest Limitless it is clear the extra size and weight slows the car down. Smaller + Lighter = Faster!

I will also be building 2 new projects later in the year, both will be significantly smaller in size after the sale of the Unlimited ;)

I suppose the main reason is because I need the money. If money were no issue I'd keep it...

My biggest fear is a crash. I DO NOT want to make a carbon chassis again. It was too much manual labor. The Typhon has replacement chassis on eBay for $9.00 and that was the primary reason I will continue this Typhon project and sell the Unlimited.

Also if you look at the fastest 1/8 cars versus the fastest Limitless it is clear the extra size and weight slows the car down. Smaller + Lighter = Faster!

I will also be building 2 new projects later in the year, both will be significantly smaller in size after the sale of the Unlimited ;)
That makes a lot of sense! Are you going to keep the typhon chassis or switch over to the Kraton chassis?

That makes a lot of sense! Are you going to keep the typhon chassis or switch over to the Kraton chassis?
I have done a Stretched Typhon before, and if you are doing open wheel buggy style I think it is a good move, this project will stay with the original Typhon wheelbase and I'll be adding battery side trays at some point.

I have done a Stretched Typhon before, and if you are doing open wheel buggy style I think it is a good move, this project will stay with the original Typhon wheelbase and I'll be adding battery side trays at some point.
That’s awesome! I’m looking to do the same but probably use kydex since I have no idea how to cut carbon nor do I have any access to cnc capabilities.

That’s awesome! I’m looking to do the same but probably use kydex since I have no idea how to cut carbon nor do I have any access to cnc capabilities.

Just an FYI I bought a sheet of 3mm carbon fiber that was already made from dragon plate.
Then just used your average jig saw and cut along a line that I made by hand. Bosch makes some good blades for cutting CF.

I did this on top of foam to give support and something soft for the blade to go through. Then use painters tape to protect the finish and keeps the edge from getting frayed.

PPE is a must when working with carbon fiber. Use a good respirator and the dust creation is big so you would need a shop vac as your are working.

This first image shows the dust creation from a 1 CM cut.

cutting cf Capture.JPG

Cutting cf 2 Capture.JPG

Just an FYI I bought a sheet of 3mm carbon fiber that was already made from dragon plate.
Then just used your average jig saw and cut along a line that I made by hand. Bosch makes some good blades for cutting CF.

I did this on top of foam to give support and something soft for the blade to go through. Then use painters tape to protect the finish and keeps the edge from getting frayed.

PPE is a must when working with carbon fiber. Use a good respirator and the dust creation is big so you would need a shop vac as your are working.

This first image shows the dust creation from a 1 CM cut.

View attachment 65855

View attachment 65856
Thanks! I’ve been googling how to cut CF. Seems pretty easy and I already have most of the tools. This just opened up more possibilities!

I was watching a guy cut CF using a dreamer drill press with a carbide bit and a jigsaw.

Thanks! I’ve been googling how to cut CF. Seems pretty easy and I already have most of the tools. This just opened up more possibilities!

I was watching a guy cut CF using a dreamer drill press with a carbide bit and a jigsaw.
It would be good for making braces and shock towers.
There is a problem when building the chassis and the reason why Joostin built his the way he did...

Ever notice the chassis kick up angle on the front? Flat chassis don't work 100% correctly with the front assemblies on Arrma cars. Would certainly screw up the suspension geometry for a basher. Not as critical for a car that goes straight.

challenge with flat plate chassis.JPG

Personally having done all this I'd stick with the original chassis and add to it as needed. The carbon weight savings is very minimal.

It would be good for making braces and shock towers.
There is a problem when building the chassis and the reason why Joostin built his the way he did...

Ever notice the chassis kick up angle on the front? Flat chassis don't work 100% correctly with the front assemblies on Arrma cars. Would certainly screw up the suspension geometry for a basher. Not as critical for a car that goes straight.

View attachment 65857

Personally having done all this I'd stick with the original chassis and add to it as needed. The carbon weight savings is very minimal.
I was actually just thinking about this! Thanks for the explanation!

Just want to add you to the speed run list is 94.7mph on 6s and 74mph on 4s your fastest speeds with this car?
Just asking since I know that this thread has been inactive since Feb 17, 2020.

Just want to add you to the speed run list is 94.7mph on 6s and 74mph on 4s your fastest speeds with this car?
Just asking since I know that this thread has been inactive since Feb 17, 2020.
I appreciate that, but no need to clutter the list with this one.
This car ended up getting converted to the one on the list at 119 mph on 8s with the blx2050 motor

Want to talk about cluttering the list go talk to K-BASH :ROFLMAO:. I see your 8s run on it, I might make a column for the same build but with different sells. I got a 1 1/2-hour car ride maybe I will experiment with that idea, I'll post about it tomorrow in the speed run list thread.

Did a test today with smaller gearing that I'll talk about further later on.
On 26/34 it hit 90.9 mph which was a surprise to me.
After this I decided I would do a few more passes to run the battery down a bit. The car moved a good two feet out of the path I planned for it...
I clipped the blue reflector in the road at 85-90 mph. The Typhon proceeded to cartwheel for something like 600 feet! I have never seen so many cartwheels!!! Blown away that the carnage was not worse. At least for now based on initial inspection it appears that the following are broken or missing:
Rear hub, rear axle/dog bone, and the GRP tires are beat up bad!
View attachment 58193
View attachment 58194
View attachment 58195

eBay kit breakers here I come.
Was this on 6S?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back