Limitless Project "medium speed," engage!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Senton 3s
It all began when I saw this:
Seven65-ARRMA-Sfondo-Bianco-Imm-Tagliata-Sotto-V1.jpg

...and immediately went like this:
png-clipart-homer-simpson-illustration-homer-simpson-internet-meme-drooling-meme-television-vertebrate-thumbnail.png

So the next thing I knew, I ended up here:
LPpbsv4.jpg

Fresh out the box. I'm going for more of a "super scale touring car" than outright speedrun build (probably with some occasional speedrun messabout throw in there) due to all of the usual constraints: I don't wanna drop $$$ on a powertrain, long stretches of non-destroyed pavement are few and far between around here, etc.

So I'm just dropping in the electronics that have been pulled out of other rigs: the Spektrum ESC/motor combo from the Kraton, the MKS550 that got swapped for a direct-power in one of my crawlers, and an Aitronics MX-3, left homeless after parts-binning an old Slash build.

Got plenty of 3S packs on hand, bud a big hole in my M1 pinion assortment, not owning anything bigger than a 19T. The Seven65 shell is still "pre order" status on Amain, I put my order in about 2 weeks ago. In the meantime, I'll just use the Limitless body for messing around and testing setup.

Haven't had a dedicated on-road since I sold off my last sedan in like 2012. Definitely gonna be interesting.

It only came with a single pinion, the 27T "optional" high speed gear, so I ran that for a few minutes until everything thermaled. :ROFLMAO:

Already ordered a 48T from Saga Customs, so I can put some reasonable gearing on this thing. There's a real demonic noise up past a certain speed, I'm guessing that's driveshaft wobble? Gonna have to look at that for sure.

It only came with a single pinion, the 27T "optional" high speed gear, so I ran that for a few minutes until everything thermaled. :ROFLMAO:

Already ordered a 48T from Saga Customs, so I can put some reasonable gearing on this thing. There's a real demonic noise up past a certain speed, I'm guessing that's driveshaft wobble? Gonna have to look at that for sure.
I smell some bbq in the near future. Take a look through the build threads before you fire up the grill 👍

Last edited:

Rear center dogbones are well known for not spinning true at speed. You can either replace it with a better shaft or buy the driveshaft support from the Infraction V2 or Felony. It is a little plastic bracket with two ball bearings.

Who's the hot ticket for the rear dogbone? I can do one of the little bearing things, but that seems more hack/bodge to me.
The two popular ones are CRCU and Scorched RC. There used to be one from Australia(SupaHD or something) but I haven’t seen them mentioned in a while. You basically want an 8mm shaft. Buy the set and replace the front while your at it.

R/C begets R/C, so after selling the RTR electronics out of my Senton project, I threw that money at this project. As one does.
ZM13uAe.jpg

So on the rig that I intended on throwing "parts I already have" at, there's a brand new RadioLink RC6GS, a 1580Kv Rocket 4585, oh, and that doodad that lets you record neato performance stats. Because I need one of those, right?

Some "slow to y'all" pulls on 3S, because I've still got a wang-janglin' rear driveshaft, no fans that will fit this honkin' motor, and no other pinions. After a few passes (it's 98ºF outside) motor and ESC were both ~135ºF. Which means BBQ @ 6S, if I'm not mistaken-- but downright mild on 3S. So I'll take it.
HkYvvVH.png
VmmsYtP.png

The neato doodad makes me want to find out how fast everything I own will go. :LOL:. I mean as of late I've mostly been a crawler guy, so 47mph @ 132ft on 3S seems brisk to me. I think the top speed recorded was 52mph.

Already got the SagaCustoms 48T spur-- which is a fantastically well made piece-- and popped it in. Put a very under-geared 18T pinion in there, and man what a difference. Tops out right around 50mph, but shaved almost half a second off of 0-40mph, and dropped my 132ft to ~2.9 seconds. Gs also down to around 1.46-1.48 on those hits, and it is, as I said, WAY undergeared. edit: figured that out

After those runs, the motor was a searing 120ºF, and the ESC barely got to 100ºF, with an ambient temp around 86ºF. So I can definitely go up a few teeth. Time for another pack of discount Amazon pinions!

Amain emailed to say that the Seven65 shipped, so I'm super excited about that. Soon will begin the quest to find a nice big area-- where the pavement doesn't look like the bombers already made their bomb runs-- so I can drop down some soccer cones and get to setting this thing up to take some turns.
RqGFjhU.png

NxubrOg.png

Almost 3 tenths faster to 132ft, and the motor isn't even trying.

Last edited:
A little grindy-grindy with a carbide cutter, and the stock motor mount will manage to fit the optional 27T pinion up against the 48T spur. It sounds loony (some kind of harmonic?) but it's at least a little more rowdy. 0-40 suffers (not surprisingly) dropping a hair, I ran three passes at 0'1.650. Times below for 132 and 178, I ran numerous passes at each, but I think cooler morning pavement prevented better results. A whole lotta wheelspin out there.

Motor just really didn't like that tiny spur, I guess. Motor sat ~145ºF for this, ESC was 110-115ºF. And I did 20+ passes.
N4o9Odx.png

y2FkFB4.png

A little grindy-grindy with a carbide cutter, and the stock motor mount will manage to fit the optional 27T pinion up against the 48T spur. It sounds loony (some kind of harmonic?) but it's at least a little more rowdy. 0-40 suffers (not surprisingly) dropping a hair, I ran three passes at 0'1.650. Times below for 132 and 178, I ran numerous passes at each, but I think cooler morning pavement prevented better results. A whole lotta wheelspin out there.

Motor just really didn't like that tiny spur, I guess. Motor sat ~145ºF for this, ESC was 110-115ºF. And I did 20+ passes.
N4o9Odx.png

y2FkFB4.png
You have it set for 178ft, not 188ft 🤷‍♂️ Where did a 178ft hit come from? Am I behind?

Well, now it's too hot to do anything about it. And covering that additional 10 feet-- while moving at nearly 100fps-- shouldn't take very long. 7pm is the sweet spot-- air temps drop fast, but the pavement is still hot. If life doesn't intervene, I'll try to get some hits at the proper length. Sure would be nice if the app would retain the distance/speed values, so I don't have to type 'em in every time I change from one to the other.

While I'm at it, how do I get it to record for top speed? I really should have read that "manual."

Well, now it's too hot to do anything about it. And covering that additional 10 feet-- while moving at nearly 100fps-- shouldn't take very long. 7pm is the sweet spot-- air temps drop fast, but the pavement is still hot. If life doesn't intervene, I'll try to get some hits at the proper length. Sure would be nice if the app would retain the distance/speed values, so I don't have to type 'em in every time I change from one to the other.

While I'm at it, how do I get it to record for top speed? I really should have read that "manual."
For top speed you use the Track mode instead of Drag. Hit Track, Start, make the pass, return the car back to you, hit Stop, Read, and you will see the top speed on that pass.

Excellent!

I'm now seeing some uneven wear on the front tires, gonna have to get into the toe/camber links, and fiddle with the servo horn once again.

One last question for the moment: the front and rear Limitless wings remain uncut, how much can I safely remove seeing as my maximum top speed is going to be sub-80? I know from my tinkering with 2S/3S speedrunning back in the day, too much downforce was an absolute speed killer, but I was also running 2WD rigs that were 5-6lbs.

Excellent!

I'm now seeing some uneven wear on the front tires, gonna have to get into the toe/camber links, and fiddle with the servo horn once again.

One last question for the moment: the front and rear Limitless wings remain uncut, how much can I safely remove seeing as my maximum top speed is going to be sub-80? I know from my tinkering with 2S/3S speedrunning back in the day, too much downforce was an absolute speed killer, but I was also running 2WD rigs that were 5-6lbs.
I’ve never ran them myself but think you’re probably really close on the 80mph guesstimate.

Who's the hot ticket for the rear dogbone? I can do one of the little bearing things, but that seems more hack/bodge to me.
Perfect pass will be putting out a new set of center dog bones also that likely will be worth the wait.
Titanium ends with carbon tubes. Looks real nice.

Got in a handful of passes this morning. With the 27/48 gearing, it's 1.165sec 0-40mph, and 65mph top speed-- I ran the same 0-40 number four times. Literally every top speed pass was 65mph, which is precisely what the speed calculator predicts for this gearing. I think that's still too fast to be useful for going around corners, I'm guessing somewhere around a 24T is where I'll end up.

In other news, progress is being made. :cool:
4tYVV3o.jpg

Got in a handful of passes this morning. With the 27/48 gearing, it's 1.165sec 0-40mph, and 65mph top speed-- I ran the same 0-40 number four times. Literally every top speed pass was 65mph, which is precisely what the speed calculator predicts for this gearing. I think that's still too fast to be useful for going around corners, I'm guessing somewhere around a 24T is where I'll end up.

In other news, progress is being made. :cool:
4tYVV3o.jpg
Yep get that gearing down to around 45mph and you get under 1s 👍🏻

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back