Mojave Project MOneuverable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggressorblue

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
  2. Talion
Getting back into the hobby from a bit of a drop off the past few years. Figured this time I’m scaling up, and decided to go with a Mojave for a few reasons:
1. My pre-HH buyout Talion has been a tank of a truggy. When I took a look at the Mo’ at my LHS yesterday, it was clear right away that HH hasn’t taken anything away form Arrma. Quite the opposite; the Spektrum electronics are nice!
2. Traxxas apprently doesn’t make anything anymore, at least if all my LHS stock levels are to be believed. (I know, Covid and all that, but clearly HH and Arrma have their act together a bit more). Otherwise I’d have been eyeing up a UDR.
3. Was initially hunting for a Losi SBR 2.0, but my LHS talked me out of it; said at this time hard to get parts and was wary of how much force the platform tends to send to the front center diff. Made it clear “losi isn’t bad, and I can certainly get you one, but you’ll be happier with the Mojave”.
4. Really liking Spektrum Smart stuff more I talked to my LHS about it. For big 6 cell packs like the 5k I’m running in my ‘Mo, it’s nice to have the onboard chip watch-dogging the pack. That said, he wasn’t a shill for HH/Spektrum either. Said flat out the new 2.0 stuff is a bunch of malarky, and they went the traxxas route of an over-propritized platform. Said the sweet spot is Smart Gen 1 for chargers and batts, given I still have a decent stack of lithium for my boats and crawlers. Currently eyeing up chargers and and a DX5 Rugged as my next moves into the ecosystem though.

All that said, after my first run in the back yard, I have decided my first mod shall be...
769A8D71-B43E-45BF-AA50-669E572F90D5.jpeg

...A snorkel :)
(Say what you will, she ran just fine after this, those really are waterproof electronics!)

With that all said, after my first run, it’s clear it’s a great platform, but I’ll quote Ken Miles in Ford vs. Ferrari: “She still feels like a bag of Squirrels“. I see a few areas I need to target:
1. Traction rolling.
2. The rear has a propensity to squat, even at rest. Push down on the front and the rear and the rear doesn’t recover as much as the front.
3. Traction rolling
4. Ballooning and Diff unloading on front wheels
5. Traction rolling
6. Braking feels soft, I think I can make that a bit more potent before getting lock.
7. Traction rolling.

(None of these should be taken as wining or complaining about the platform, but more a punch list on what I hope will be a fun project to really tune and dial in the Mo as much as possible!)

First, let me say that I get it, the ’Mo traction roles. Period. That will come with the territory with this truck. However, I’d like to replace the traction rolling with oversteer wherever I can. I’m not looking for a Kraton or a Talion here. But I feel there’s a middle ground between out-of-the-box Mojave and those other platforms. And to be clear, I know one can’t just drive around pegging the throttle all the time and expect perfect results. But right now the issue is that coming out of a turn at the appropriate speed, giving her a slug of power digs the rear outer tire in, and over she goes.

Instead, I want to the behavior to be adding power breaks grip and induces over-steer. Thought being to have more of the energy feeding the role instead go into pure lateral moment. Said another way, avoiding role becomes more a function of modulating power coming out of a turn, vice just not having any.

This will be my first time doing serious tuning to a basher, so I’m looking for any notes/feedback folks have!

Things I’ll be trying, more or less in order:
-Adding camber via moving the post holes Simply because it’s easy enough
-Tighten up the center diff; idea being to let the rear keep as much of it’s torque as possible, versus unloading to the front inner wheel.
-Lowering ride height as much as possilbe on out-of-the-box suspension.
-Adding stiffer anti-role bars. Idea is to set her up so she’s doing her best impression of a solid-axle rear truck.
-Heavier weight diff fluid in the rear,
-Finally, stiffer springs. I want to make this a last resort, as I want to keep as much of the ’floaty’ behavior of the truck as possible.

Again, open to ideas and suggestions, and even readjusting the order of operation above!

First off congrats !!! There's a reason I had 2 Mojaves !!! Sold one to a friend , got the SBR 2.0 , saying this cause you mentioned it , be glad you got the Mojave !!!!! I like , but not love the SBR 2.0 , if you think the Mo traction rolls a lot , you would be upset with the SBR 2.0 . NTM , this thing is huge and heavy , sucks when it dies and you have to carry it back to your car !!! That LHS was point on for advice to you . I love SCT's , they don't act like the MT / Truggy style that Arrma has , so your driving experience is of " body roll / super soft suspension " to soak up terrain .
Can't believe you submerged it !!!
I left one Mo stock and the other did 50k / 300k / 30k in the diffs , and 50w in the shocks ( stock is 550cst which is approx 43w ). I liked that recipe , however that was in the one I sold , so have to do this to my current one .
Have fun rippin her around !!!!
A little running vid of mine ......... P.S pick up some body mounts now !!!!

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for the advice guys!

What's the verdict on keeping vs removing the servo saver by the way?

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys!

What's the verdict on keeping vs removing the servo saver by the way?
Add a snap ring or two to stiffen it up. They also make optional stiffer springs for the servo saver.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back