Project "SCYLLA"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Tex Koder Any advice regarding this would be appreciated.

I've seen Hot Racing, and Basher Queen do the rod ends in the US, they end up at £21 and £35 for one set, i will need two and then import charges.
Struggling to find an equivalent from within the UK.
There's no reason why i couldn't keep the stock brace, and just make a custom carbon for the rear if it ends up too pricey.

I've seen Hot Racing, and Basher Queen do the rod ends in the US, they end up at £21 and £35 for one set, i will need two and then import charges.
There's no reason why i couldn't keep the stock brace, and just make a custom carbon for the rear if it ends up too pricey.
Ahhh that's right your going to have three towers. I only have two .so my center brace was easy to make .you'll need two then .yup @Tex Koder is the man to👍 talk about this with..

Ahhh that's right your going to have three towers. I only have two .so my center brace was easy to make .you'll need two then .yup @Tex Koder is the man to👍 talk about this with..

IF you're looking to have a Double 'single' piece CF Brace to cover the full length of your chassis.. non-split/unbroken ,it can be done.

I'd imagine two 480mm carbon fiber rods in a horizontal layout.. so they can go in-between the shock tower openings with Custom Endcaps & a Custom Mid-mount to secure the all three points..

At the moment, I'm committed to redesigning @StephenSchandelmayer 's DaBOA Center Brace.. his Goliath gave my endlink a thrashing and snapped the head off.
Once I get the brace back into my hands, I'll need to come up with a extra tough design to withstand his rig's Abusive Power..

Let me know the rough distances between all three of your shock towers/brace linkages (in mm)...
I'll see if I can squeeze in a quick draft of the Horizontal Twin-Barrel concept..

As the front 66% is basically a complete outcast i was planning on just using the existing mounts, so just using the standard brace (re-made in carbon fibre with nice rod ends).
Then for back 33%, the third shock tower will have it's standard mount and i was planning on making a short centre brace (in carbon with nice rod ends) so i would just need to fabricate a mount on the back of the second shock tower.

I just have no idea on the process of making one of these carbon centre braces.

If you think this would be insufficient (i have little knowledge and experience in this area), I'm open to idea's and suggestions.

When i @ you i was in no way looking for a hand out or to get you to build something for me, just some tips. If however this is something you want to do and would enjoy the process i'm more than happy to take the help.

As the front 66% is basically a complete outcast i was planning on just using the existing mounts, so just using the standard brace (re-made in carbon fibre with nice rod ends).
Then for back 33%, the third shock tower will have it's standard mount and i was planning on making a short centre brace (in carbon with nice rod ends) so i would just need to fabricate a mount on the back of the second shock tower.

If you think this would be insufficient (i have little knowledge and experience in this area), I'm open to idea's and suggestions.

When i @ you i was in no way looking for a hand out or to get you to build something for me, just some tips. If however this is something you want to do and would enjoy the process i'm more than happy to take the help.

I don't charge for Brainstorming..

Just throwing out ideas.
I enjoy the collaboration and conceptual process..

If/when you want to have it fabricated ,I can quote some costs.. But, you're not obligated. 👍

I don't charge for Brainstorming..

Just throwing out ideas.
I enjoy the collaboration and conceptual process..

If/when you want to have it fabricated ,I can quote some costs.. But, you're not obligated. 👍

Great (y)

Front to rear shock tower measures roughly 545mm

PXL_20230210_193928115.MP.jpg

Would mounting the brace higher up the shock tower give more structural support than lower down in the stock position? or would it make little to know difference do you think?

After writing that sentence i thought about it, and the standard mount doesn't even "connect" to the shock towers, just braces against it, it only actually connects to the diff housing, correct?

I'm looking to maintain the rear wing and wheelie bar at the back, and will have to keep a portion of the rear wing mount intact in the middle shock tower as it has the mounting point for the chassis brace.

IF you're looking to have a Double 'single' piece CF Brace to cover the full length of your chassis.. non-split/unbroken ,it can be done.

I'd imagine two 480mm carbon fiber rods in a horizontal layout.. so they can go in-between the shock tower openings with Custom Endcaps & a Custom Mid-mount to secure the all three points..

At the moment, I'm committed to redesigning @StephenSchandelmayer 's DaBOA Center Brace.. his Goliath gave my endlink a thrashing and snapped the head off.
Once I get the brace back into my hands, I'll need to come up with a extra tough design to withstand his rig's Abusive Power..

Let me know the rough distances between all three of your shock towers/brace linkages (in mm)...
I'll see if I can squeeze in a quick draft of the Horizontal Twin-Barrel concept..
DaBOA needs some loooove. Next week it'll head back, promise.

I think you should get this for the 66% https://scorchedparts.co.uk/collect...o-tower-brace-outcast-notorious-senton-typhon

Then for the rear that's a bit more interesting but I think you could run a double aluminum brace that bolts directly to each side of the towers. It could even use the same bolts as the shocks, or not. If you kept the excess from your original piece of aluminum you could probably use that to make them.

Also!!! Finally we have a mockup of the 6x6!! My question now, which i have been thinking about, are those belted tires? If not then ballooning could become quite the issue

Yes they are, but well done on spotting another one of my potential issues.
Not only that but i did my measurements and calculations using these wheels and tyres, then looked and found out these are smaller in diameter than most others, so if i wanted to switch wheels i will potentially have an issue, and i may have an issue regardless when they begin to expand at speed.
Too late to worry about that now, head down and full steam ahead.

I've no idea how i missed that on scorched website, thats a nice easy fix.
Then i can just mock up a fancy one for the rear, still potentially a double horizontal, like @Tex Koder suggested, just short between the rear two towers.

Great (y)

Front to rear shock tower measures roughly 545mm

View attachment 277157

Would mounting the brace higher up the shock tower give more structural support than lower down in the stock position? or would it make little to know difference do you think?

It'll make some difference but how much... Really depends on if you planning on rolling/flipping this rig.. Cause once it's upside down from a flip or bad jump... Any of those Shock Tower(S) will take a massive force/weight,so having the brace secured to the tower will distribute/spread the forces out some and Not let just one tower take 100% of the abuse.

After writing that sentence i thought about it, and the standard mount doesn't even "connect" to the shock towers, just braces against it, it only actually connects to the diff housing, correct?

I'm looking to maintain the rear wing and wheelie bar at the back, and will have to keep a portion of the rear wing mount intact in the middle shock tower as it has the mounting point for the chassis brace.

That's correct.

So it might be wise to come up with a brace mount(S) that locks onto the shock towers instead of the diff housing...

Last edited:
Well, no construction work today, only deconstruction.

After reading @Surchaufeur 's thread about maintenance, and more precisely the damage, after one year on his Kraton, i decided to shamelessly rip him off and do the same thing with my donor Kraton.

Just after i started this is what i have...

PXL_20230211_165944723.MP.jpg

Rear shock tower resembles a banana....
PXL_20230211_170144750.MP.jpg

The wing mount/support was cracked very badly, picture doesn't do it justice....
PXL_20230211_170207613.MP.jpg

Mounting holes on the diff housing had been annihilated...
PXL_20230211_170340879.MP.jpg

Two bent hinge pins, one considerably worse than the other....
PXL_20230211_171411221.MP.jpg

PXL_20230211_171536335.MP.jpg

Bent shock mount screw...
PXL_20230211_172938506.MP.jpg

Badly worn front prop shaft...
PXL_20230211_184603950.MP.jpg

Tooth missing from the pinion gear...
PXL_20230211_191939256.MP.jpg

This one i have some questions about, in the 6s Diffs i've come across i've not seen this, any explanations welcome? In case it isnt clear i'm refering to the lines/cuts in the diff cup.
PXL_20230211_182856262.MP.jpg

And lastly i have a nice collection of spares now, for when i inevitably break stuff....
PXL_20230211_192446935.MP.jpg

Now i should have enough parts to do more of a proper mock up of the whole car.

After reading @Surchaufeur 's thread about maintenance, and more precisely the damage, after one year on his Kraton, i decided to shamelessly rip him off and do the same thing with my donor Kraton.

View attachment 277464

View attachment 277465

The wing mount/support was cracked very badly, picture doesn't do it justice....
View attachment 277466

View attachment 277467

View attachment 277468

View attachment 277469

View attachment 277470

View attachment 277472

View attachment 277473

This one i have some questions about, in the 6s Diffs i've come across i've not seen this, any explanations welcome? In case it isnt clear i'm refering to the lines/cuts in the diff cup.
View attachment 277471

And lastly i have a nice collection of spares now, for when i inevitably break stuff....
View attachment 277474

The lines on the diff cup is normal. Main reason i didnt go aluminum on the diff cups exept the center
The real damage and what i will need to buy would be are screws and a rear hubs. I could slap everything back togueter and it will work like normal

View attachment 277464

View attachment 277465

View attachment 277466

View attachment 277467

View attachment 277468

View attachment 277469

View attachment 277470

View attachment 277472

View attachment 277473

View attachment 277471

View attachment 277474

The lines in the diff cup mean it's the EXB diffs. The RTR ones don't have it

Thanks, i didn't know that, never encountered an EXB diff before.

Bit more progress today mocking up. I have more room between the two rear sets of wheels than i was expecting, which is nice, in a way.

PXL_20230212_125511490.MP.jpg

PXL_20230212_125515922.MP.jpg

PXL_20230212_125535005.MP.jpg

PXL_20230212_125559643.MP.jpg

Another question, anyone know whats going on with the leads on these ESC. My best guess is under the heatshrink, theres just two xt90 connectors and they've done this to extend the cables, but i'm not sure why'd they'd do that.

PXL_20230212_125345845.MP.jpg

Progress on this will be slowing down a lot now due to commitments with work.

The past few day i've had to work on it have been concentrated on carbon fibre braces. Thanks to everyone who gave their thoughts and opinions on the braces, I ended up going with what was the simplest solution (in my head).

Thanks to @BashingBrian who was very helpful in giving me the technique he uses to make his carbon braces as well as ebay links to where to buy the bits, top man (y)

I bought all the products Brian suggested and began work. I marked the length of carbon i wanted uses some masking tape, and then went about cutting them to length using a Dremel with a cut off bit, i did this outside with a mask on to try to reduce the amount of carbon dust i breathed in.

PXL_20230225_110711883.MP.jpg

Once i had them all cut, i filed the ends down as flat as i could get them.

PXL_20230225_111014722.MP.jpg

Then i began making up the thread inserts for each end of the carbon rod. This comprised of a piece of m5 threaded rod stainless, two m5 nuts tightened down on each other, these work both as a stop so the rod doesn't fall inside the carbon tube and so you can remove the m5 rod if desired, and lastly 3x m5 threaded inserts. Should look something like this.

PXL_20230226_160221827.MP.jpg

With a small grinding(?) head on the dremel i then went about sanding/grinding the inside of each end of the carbon tube, in order to give our adhesive/bonding something to bite into. Once done i cleaned each end out with a cotton bud dipped in 99% alcohol.

PXL_20230226_160557156.MP.jpg

I decided to grease all the bits that i didn't want stuck together in the hopes it would come apart easier, so i greased the very end of the threaded inserts where the threaded rod would poke through if it were wound in enough, and greased the double nuts as well.

PXL_20230226_162931564.MP.jpg

I put some masking tape on the carbon tube to protect it from the bonding agents.
At this point you should have something that looks like this.

PXL_20230226_163401545.MP.jpg

At this stage i mixed up the bonding agent, in this case JB Weld, using a small applicator (a sanded down wooden skewer) i coated the inside of the end of each tube as well as all over the brass coloured threaded inserts, i put the pieces together, wiped any excess off straight away with a tissue and then removed the masking tape while the JB Weld was still wet.

I left it for 24 hours to cure, went about removing all the threaded rods and cleaning up any dried excess JB Weld as necessary. Then i drilled oput the holes on the shock towers to 5mm where needed and assembled it all.

I'm very happy with how it all turned out, and enjoyed the process quite a lot, and am now thinking of adding another four supports :ROFLMAO:

Only thing i am concerned about is where they mount directly to the shock towers there is no plastic there to help with the shock absorption so in a big hit they may just shatter, one way to find out right?

PXL_20230304_111633917.MP.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back