Limitless "Project Speed Try" Limitless UPDATES 10.22.2021

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meda2ni_rc

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Limitless
  3. Mojave
  4. Outcast 8s
Hello all.

This is my "Project Speed Try on a Limitless Speed run /Back up race car

After trying on my stock Infraction, maxing it out at 87mph. And bbq’ing the stock firma ESC 150

My current set up. Not looking to break any speed record. Just like bulding stuff up and see if i can join that 100mph (maybe above :))

Current set up

Max5 1100kv
30/34 gear.

Have not run yet.

Still waiting on PPS motor mount.

Any other advice TIA

9A543067-BB39-4825-8B21-D3C9F2B1E4A2.jpeg

E3CC314F-DFD3-4501-B626-DDE42FB06ED5.png

63E5EECF-5622-4C90-ABAC-9C8F94FD8A69.jpeg

Last edited:
It should run in the high 90's with that setup.
The HobbyWing brand ESCs (same manufacturer as the RTR stuff) has amperage limiting.

The throttle application will cause an amperage spike so try to go smoothly up to speed and count it out loud. Ideally from a rolling start to 100% throttle you want that to take around 5-7 seconds.

Gearing of 34/34 may end up being a sweet spot for this 1100 KV to run in the low triple digits.

Make sure to run good connectors and LiPos. It is common to use around 1000 ft for a 100mph run so make sure your radio range is up for the task and please be safe. Getting hit by a 100mph car is no joke!

Drop your ESC Punch down all the way.
This will help with amp cutting. You don't need it for speed running. Works against you. Doing this allows for better, linear, Throttle control with your finger.
Just a tip.... Consider QS8 connectors with the Max 5. Those EC5 connectors are best for 6s running, not 8s.
Trim the front Canards and rear wing more . This will reduce amp draw. Make sure the chassis is Raked higher at the rear end. Especially for 100+mph runs.

I am stuck in the 90 mph's with my Lim and Infr. I don't have enough space to run their long legs.:cry:
Sucks living in NYC.
So, I cant be a member of the club just yet.:giggle:
Hopefully you have some decent range with your radio. Always double check physical range. I have wrecked my Lim several times. Once I had to just buy another Lim roller. ($400.) It was cheaper than replacing part by part.
I now use a RL RC6GS FWIW. Plenty of Radio range. Just need some groomed clean space now, with no traffic and people. That will be a neat trick for me.
Good luck.:cool:

Last edited:
Drop your ESC Punch down all the way.
This will help with amp cutting. You don't need it for speed running. Works against you. And allows for better, linear, Throttle control with your finger.
Just a tip.... Consider QS8 connectors with the Max 5.
Trim the front Canards and rear wing more . This will reduce amp draw. Make sure the chassis is Raked higher at the rear end. Especially for 100+mph runs.
Those EC5 connectors are best for 6s running, not 8s.
I am stuck in the 90 mph's with my Lim and Infr. I don't have enough space to run their long legs.:cry:
Sucks living in NYC.
So, I cant be a member of the club just yet.:giggle:
Hopefully you have some decent range with your radio. Always double check physical range. I have wrecked my Lim several times. Once I had to just buy another Lim roller. ($400.) It was cheaper than replacing part by part.
I now use a RL RC6GS FWIW. Plenty of Radio range. Just need some groomed clean space now, with no traffic and people. That will be a neat trick for me.
Good luck.:cool:
Is the Long Island area too far for you? Some long flat industrial roads out there I see people running on. There are also some spots out there near the vineyards. Basically country farm roads...

Yeah the Vinyards. I know what you mean.(y)
About an hour and 20 min drive from me:cool:
Truly hard to find long smooth asphalt roads without divits and potholes. Road repair is rare and when done is so poor in NY. Pothole repairs become mounds or divits. This is what wrecked some of my passes. Winter snow removal equipment and salt spreading tears up roads in just a few months. Fresh paved roads don't last a season. I think it is more like guarranteed work, when they do a poor cheap pave. So they can keep jobs and work.

Edit:
I use to go out to the farms there during Halloween for Pumpkin Picking. Exit 70 's.
I live across the street from LGA airport and they just repaved the highway there. It was closed for a day. But complete. I was so tempted to get on that highway in the middle of the night with my Lim.. It was still hot and sticky asphalt. I probably would have got some flack from the security guard. I checked it out closely. I didn't understand what the guard was guarding. No fences or anything. I easily had a 1 mile stretch line of site. Just hard to see at night. I even have front and rear lights on my Lim. Because I speed run at night for the most part.
But I decided not to do it.

Last edited:
It should run in the high 90's with that setup.
The HobbyWing brand ESCs (same manufacturer as the RTR stuff) has amperage limiting.

The throttle application will cause an amperage spike so try to go smoothly up to speed and count it out loud. Ideally from a rolling start to 100% throttle you want that to take around 5-7 seconds.

Gearing of 34/34 may end up being a sweet spot for this 1100 KV to run in the low triple digits.

Make sure to run good connectors and LiPos. It is common to use around 1000 ft for a 100mph run so make sure your radio range is up for the task and please be safe. Getting hit by a 100mph car is no joke!
Yeah looks like I will be gearing it to34/34.
I am only a SUPER NOOB to this speed runs, not going to break any speed record, ever :D

Have you or others tried higher pinion gear to 34 spur? like 38/34 gearing?

TIA

Yeah looks like I will be gearing it to34/34.
I am only a SUPER NOOB to this speed runs, not going to break any speed record, ever :D

Have you or others tried higher pinion gear to 34 spur? like 38/34 gearing?

TIA
Making the spur gear larger would slow it down.
For your 1100 kv motor it will be best to stick with the 34t.

At that point of a 34/34 (1:1 ratio) you are running a "final drive ratio" of the differentials 3.3 in the case of the Limitless.
That should put you in the low 100's and that is about the limit of the HobbyWing ESCs.

Honestly that speed 95-110 is some of the most fun I ever had speed running. The problem is the speed bug bites and you always want more! :p

Making the spur gear larger would slow it down.
For your 1100 kv motor it will be best to stick with the 34t.

At that point of a 34/34 (1:1 ratio) you are running a "final drive ratio" of the differentials 3.3 in the case of the Limitless.
That should put you in the low 100's and that is about the limit of the HobbyWing ESCs.

Honestly that speed 95-110 is some of the most fun I ever had speed running. The problem is the speed bug bites and you always want more! :p
I must agree, hitting that 100mph the first time is a great achievement. (to be honest, for a metric guy like me it actually was 200km/h)
Speed is addictive, but it gets tricky and dangerous quickly. I wish i could have said this is enough back then...

With the standard diffs, 34/34 gearing and hoons it would require 28k rpm to hit 100mph, that's doable. Requires good batteries (8S) and 1000ft road&radio.

Many radios can't support 1350 feet of range. That's when carnage occurs.:(

When you’re ready for more speed, an XLX2 will take that motor way further. I would also look into the GP5 diffs at that point too.

If you have not already seen it I would recommend going through Raz's recent YouTube build series on how to setup the limitless. Going 100+ MPH, the setup becomes very important versus the 70-85 mph range where there is a bigger margin for error.

I ended up starting 34/34. I ordered 38 pinion gear from SAGA also

If you have not already seen it I would recommend going through Raz's recent YouTube build series on how to setup the limitless. Going 100+ MPH, the setup becomes very important versus the 70-85 mph range where there is a bigger margin for error.

I have watch all his his videos atleast couples of times :D I don't think I'll ever come close to his specs.
Just wanted to try out the speed thingy for fun :)

When you’re ready for more speed, an XLX2 will take that motor way further. I would also look into the GP5 diffs at that point too.

Like everyone who started this speed as just for fun, I'd probably end up doing so... :p

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE ADVISE (and future help ;) )🙏

I ended up starting 34/34. I ordered 38 pinion gear from SAGA also

I have watch all his his videos atleast couples of times :D I don't think I'll ever come close to his specs.
Just wanted to try out the speed thingy for fun :)

Like everyone who started this speed as just for fun, I'd probably end up doing so... :p

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE ADVISE (and future help ;) )🙏
We all have high hopes and wish you many nice PB's whiles enjoying the speed thingy ;)

Congrats on breaking 100 mph.

The HooVo batteries are not the best, but you should probably see how far you can get with them before spending the big $$$ on high end LiPos given that your goal isn't much faster than where you are at now.

2nd run with
38/34 gearing

PB 107mph!!

I have an in coming 1720kv motor

Whats the proper gearing to test with that motor?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back