Proper way to remove stickers…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
I’m using a new voltage body for practice with the shoe goo/wall tape method. I wanted to remove the factory stickers cause they are on crack crooked. Usually I use heat to remove stickers.
*I did not overthink this. I assumed I knew what I was doing.
So a hairdryer appears to be too hot 😣
(dang it) it’s now warped in beyond use.

B79D10BD-9B21-4657-8CCE-683AE269E528.jpeg

So…reheating it with the hair dryer just makes it go evenmore wiggy. F🤫ck it. I know how to iron.

Attachments

• 97421BF0-623D-4A9C-87CC-CA17F0EB2FCC.jpeg
    97421BF0-623D-4A9C-87CC-CA17F0EB2FCC.jpeg
    351.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 1B2FB96B-96CD-4D7F-BDBE-51F2BB021C5A.jpeg
    1B2FB96B-96CD-4D7F-BDBE-51F2BB021C5A.jpeg
    286.7 KB · Views: 49
Jeeezzzzus... How long did you hold the heat on them? You only need a couple seconds to heat them up and have them be removeable pulling off all the adhesive too..

Note to others, don't be a gorilla with a hairdryer lol..

Ok, at least it’s useable. Reminds of a Texas Friday night drinkin’ truck now (turn left Bubba!).
So, where was I?
Right!
Shoe goo and wall board tape. What can go wrong?

C90E73E0-7B5D-4CDA-875A-C2D1B36C7ED0.jpeg

9B60128D-C598-45D1-A6D5-D4C0CBFF47F5.jpeg

890EA653-7C0D-491F-963E-5B8D3AF5D62B.jpeg

Jeeezzzzus... How long did you hold the heat on them? You only need a couple seconds to heat them up and have them be removeable pulling off all the adhesive too..

I turned to my wife and said “babe, it works! Low heat leaves residue so I turned it up on high…”

I just pull them off without heat, then I use some bio-degreaser on a piece of cloth to help removing the remaining sticker glue.

I am not too sure what is the solvent in the degreaser that helps breaking down the glue, but it works rather well.

Yeah. “My name is Doug and I break stuff so you don’t have toooo!!”
I just pull them off without heat, then I use some bio-degreaser on a piece of cloth to help removing the remaining sticker glue.

I am not too sure what is the solvent in the degreaser that helps breaking down the glue, but it works rather well.
Okay. I’ll do that when I start on my granite 4x4. I know this, and should have with this one. Lol lesson learned. Simple green or that orange goo off yup.

Hahahahahaha! That's pretty funny! At least you have a good sense of humor. I've never seen someone iron a RC Truck body before. That's definitely a first.

I also just pull them off then either use that $hit called "goo gone" or just plain rubbing alcohol to get the leftover adhesive off.

Hahahahahaha! That's pretty funny! At least you have a good sense of humor. I've never seen someone iron a RC Truck body before. That's definitely a first.

I also just pull them off then either use that $hit called "goo gone" or just plain rubbing alcohol to get the leftover adhesive off.
Yeah I may just let this sticker go cause after all that… damn sticker stayed tight. Seriously. It’s now welded to the plastic. So I have discovered how to make stickers really really permanent.

I love my little iron. It’s the perfect size for putting on Velcro and mounting tape etc. It was there I was desperate and did the trick (like an 8th grade girlfriend).

16F35A99-F405-4CF0-82BF-7658A1DB9152.jpeg

So I’m continuing to damage my test body. After thoroughly researching I decided to go with sugar and wallboard fiberglass tape.
I thoroughly washed inside of the body with simple green let it dry in the sun a couple of hours and then used 400 (Instead of the 600 recommended because that’s what I had) grit sandpaper to lightly sand inside.
😑
Ok, maybe there’s a reason for 600 grit. I know the voltage body is really cheap…Is the paint this thin on the granite 4x4 body? Would TSP (tri sodium phosphate) work to take gloss off the inside as opposed to sanding it? Because it’s taking the gloss off the inside paint, not plastic. And TSP is what I use for preparing oil based trim for painting…

82FA2849-BD11-4753-A4C4-C9BB2578DA66.jpeg

So now I have successfully taken a brand new voltage body and pretty much ruined it. It is still functional though and will use it as a reminder of what not to do.

Since my motivation for doing shoe goo and fiberglass tape has dissipated. I think I just want to paint the inside of the body and get it over with. Flex seal work.

Ugh, flex seal can is dead out. Screw it, this is pretty much the same thing… with the addition of a little pesticide. At least my car won’t spread any oak wilt.
Sugar and wall board tape 😂😂😂
More coffee (pass the bottle)

Attachments

• FE89A7BD-18B7-49B1-AF9F-186926E4F90B.jpeg
    FE89A7BD-18B7-49B1-AF9F-186926E4F90B.jpeg
    385.4 KB · Views: 44
  • B0F0533D-5367-4310-96F1-2EDAF1C19A7C.jpeg
    B0F0533D-5367-4310-96F1-2EDAF1C19A7C.jpeg
    493.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
why do i feel like thats your kid...
🤣🤣 My kid is 26. And when he was young, yes it was very interesting. No more so than raising me according to my parents.

My seven-year-old granddaughter is far more reasonable but still pretty wild. My 8 year-old stepdaughter is amazing in her own right. Brilliantly smart, technical and we get along very well.
why do i feel like thats your kid...
I wonder if that would work 🤔 it’s pretty cool. Good defense against the zombies and raptors.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back