Protek vs vanquish

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sMoKeN

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Ok, I made a post recently. Can't decide. If you had a choice between protek trutorque sl metric hand drivers and vanquish which one would you buy? Everything I've seen about vanquish says that they are very high quality second to none basically just longer mip drivers that cost little more. I've also heard that the new protek trutorque sl drivers are great lightweight and the new hss steel makes them very good drivers. My curiosity is just how snug do the protek fit? Does anyone happen to have a set or able to shine little more light to the subject?

These are the links to said drivers

https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-rc-trutorque-sl-metric-hex-driver-set-4-ptk-8416/p863873

https://www.amainhobbies.com/vanqui...river-tool-set-w-bearing-cap-vps08400/p675153

Thank you

I believe @SrC is highly impressed with his Vanquish drivers.
Have you or he tried the new protek trutorque sl by chance? I dig the look of them. Just torn. Currently leaning towards the vanquish cause I'm pretty certain they are very snug and well built like the mip. Id get mip hand drivers just the length is to short to get my driveshaft off my 3s typhon

FWIW, Get MIP's as your first set.
The Vanquish products are superb. MIP's have more Comfortable handles and nice feel while torqueing screws.
I only only have the Vanquish however for the additional length they afford. The handles are Different, feel way different. But have quality tips like the MIP's
Mip's should be the first choice IMHO. Having both sets yes can be expensive as RC tool investments go. That's your call.
Depends how much you wrench. I build many RC kits from scratch. These tools can matter a bit more in this regard.
I seen Proteks. Not used them though. Not sure how long they really are. They are an Amain Hobbies Store brand much like their Protek servos. If that means anything to consider.
In the same price range. Give or take. Proteks don't appear much longer than the MIP's. Length specs are not shown for the Proteks. I did not see them.🤷‍♂️
I just looked them up and see they are now a Discontinued product. 🤷‍♂️ They were replaced with a different design handle.
They had a 90 day warranty. MIP is supposedly Lifetime Warr. Look into that.

Old:
ProTek RC "TruTorque" Metric Hex Driver Set (4) [PTK-8227] | Cars & Trucks - AMain Hobbies

New:
ProTek RC "TruTorque SL" Metric Hex Driver Set (4) [PTK-8416] | Cars & Trucks - AMain Hobbies

The above state 80mm tips. FWIW.

EDIT:
The MIP's don't come with 3mm FWIW. If that matters. Sold separately however. Use my Vanquish 3mm when rarely needed. Yes need it at times also.
MIP Hex Driver Wrench Set, Metric (3), 1.5mm, 2.0mm, & 2.5mm #9502 |MIP Online
In 16 years give or take I am on my second set of the MIP's. Latest are 5 years old and the tips are still fine. I just like the feel of the handle, When wrenching much I get less fatigue with MIP's compared to the others. I prefer plastic handles over Alloy. I can get blisters from alloy, when driving tight or new threads repeatedly. Just my thoughts. Alloy handle looks trick for many, just not as functional to use repeatedly. Vanquish has the best alloy handles, machined smoother, but a bit narrow. Just something to consider.
Also very different regarding the Vanquish is that the end caps have Ball bearing's. Really speeds up wrenching. Smooth action. Unique to them. Longer shafts also. Make sure to always use TL on the set screws to install the tips in the handles. Tips can loosen. MIP's have molded on Handles by comparison.

Last edited:
I plan to mainly use my mips just for hand turning and to be able to get to the screw in the 3s driveshaft was figuring vanquish. Just wish had little more light on the protek trutorque sl set. They look great an have great reviews just none states how snug they are an how well they hold up in time

Last edited:
Get some Wera drivers or maybe MIP drivers. Both of which in full sets would be less than those Vanquish.
Having had the others they don’t hold a candle to a real tool not worth saving a little bit in this area and dealing with frustration later with rounded heads.
I considered getting the Wera hex plus just i had the ratcheting hex handle and didn't care to much for handle. Plus I want a full set and the 1.5 is only the small handle. I have mip but you must understand the length of the bit is too short....

I considered getting the Wera hex plus just i had the ratcheting hex handle and didn't care to much for handle. Plus I want a full set and the 1.5 is only the small handle. I have mip but you must understand the length of the bit is too short....
Ahh so you are looking for longer reach drivers?

FWIW, Get MIP's as your first set.
The Vanquish products are superb. MIP's have more Comfortable handles and nice feel while torqueing screws.
I only only have the Vanquish however for the additional length they afford. The handles are Different, feel way different. But have quality tips like the MIP's
Mip's should be the first choice IMHO. Having both sets yes can be expensive as RC tool investments go. That's your call.
Depends how much you wrench. I build many RC kits from scratch. These tools can matter a bit more in this regard.
I seen Proteks. Not used them though. Not sure how long they really are. They are an Amain Hobbies Store brand much like their Protek servos. If that means anything to consider.
In the same price range. Give or take. Proteks don't appear much longer than the MIP's. Length specs are not shown for the Proteks. I did not see them.🤷‍♂️
I just looked them up and see they are now a Discontinued product. 🤷‍♂️ They were replaced with a different design handle.
They had a 90 day warranty. MIP is supposedly Lifetime Warr. Look into that.

Old:
ProTek RC "TruTorque" Metric Hex Driver Set (4) [PTK-8227] | Cars & Trucks - AMain Hobbies

New:
ProTek RC "TruTorque SL" Metric Hex Driver Set (4) [PTK-8416] | Cars & Trucks - AMain Hobbies

The above state 80mm tips. FWIW.

EDIT:
The MIP's don't come with 3mm FWIW. If that matters. Sold separately however. Use my Vanquish 3mm when rarely needed. Yes need it at times also.
MIP Hex Driver Wrench Set, Metric (3), 1.5mm, 2.0mm, & 2.5mm #9502 |MIP Online
In 16 years give or take I am on my second set of the MIP's. Latest are 5 years old and the tips are still fine. I just like the feel of the handle, When wrenching much I get less fatigue with MIP's compared to the others. I prefer plastic handles over Alloy. I can get blisters from alloy, when driving tight or new threads repeatedly. Just my thoughts. Alloy handle looks trick for many, just not as functional to use repeatedly. Vanquish has the best alloy handles, machined smoother, but a bit narrow. Just something to consider.
The length is 80mm 3.15 inches, not only the handles but now they are hss steel. I have mip but as I say once again the length of the bit is not enough for my needs. If the dumb metal hex thing wasn't as long it wouldn't be in my way

The vanquish handles aren't very thin are they? I noticed the new Proteks have that ball bearing feature aswell if memory serves me correctly
Get some Wera Kraftform drivers or maybe MIP drivers. Both of which in full sets would be less than those Vanquish.
Having had the others they don’t hold a candle to a real tool not worth saving a little bit in this area and dealing with frustration later with rounded heads.

Edit: Link added: https://www.kctoolco.com/wera-345273-kraftform-micro-hex-metric-precision-screwdriver-set/
I've looked at those an the handles are smaller versions of the regular one which I didn't care much for. The Hex plus claims to be a tighter fit aswell, and i do seem longer ones which is why I'm not only using my mip. I love them just they are missing the length I need.

Last edited:
I have the new ProTek drivers (PTK-8416) and they feel like really nice. I am impressed with then but don't have any MIP to compare with. I happen to have just put some MIP drivers and speed bits in my shopping cart before opening this thread, just to know...

Good Luck!
Hurricane

I have the new ProTek drivers (PTK-8416) and they feel like really nice. I am impressed with then but don't have any MIP to compare with. I happen to have just put some MIP drivers and speed bits in my shopping cart before opening this thread, just to know...

Good Luck!
Hurricane
So the tips on them do they fit very snug? Stick into the heads of screws basically? Also how do they hold up? Broken or rounded any in the time you've had them?

If you let your 12.9 Grade screws rust out have dirt/mud in them, etc, running in the wet and all , any hex driver will strip them out.
I rarely strip screws. I think its more user error.
And of course Cheapo Hex drivers (think AMZ $12 sets) contribute and don't help matters. (n)

If you let your 12.9 Grade screws rust out have dirt/mud in them, etc, running in the wet and all , any hex driver will strip them out.
And of course Cheapo Hex drivers (think AMZ $12 sets) contribute and don't help matters. (n)
Yes, I understand. Just after using the mip I became addicted to how they feel with screws. Like to have the same feeling with my hand set if I can. Good tools serve well
The vanquish handles you stated they were kind of small, they aren't terribly small are they? For a person that has larger hands won't be to bad I assume?

^^^ MIP's are addicting. More so the feel of them. Seems the combination of the length of the shaft ( can be too short at times, I agree) and the shape of the plastic handle is just perfect for wrenching RC's. The right balance. Every other tool just feels awkward by comparison. 🤷‍♂️
MIP has been the standard in tools for 30 years in RC. There is a reason.🤷‍♂️ No not cheap however. All of MIP products are second to none.

^^^ MIP's are addicting. More so the feel of them. Seems the combination of the length of the shaft ( can be too short at times, I agree) and the shape of the plastic handle is just perfect for wrenching RC's. The right balance. Every other tool just feels awkward by comparison. 🤷‍♂️
MIP has been the standard in tools for 30 years in RC. There is a reason.🤷‍♂️ No not cheap however. All of MIP products are second to none.
The handles on the vanquish, they are a good size though? Can grip them pretty well?

Having both MIP and Vanquish, there is a difference. MIPs afford more torque. Wider handle. I have smallish hands if that means anything? Might just be splittings on this. That's Purely subjective. Just me. Like them both. Having both sets rounds out my tool collection. I would give up the Vanquish first if I had to though.

The interesting thing is that the fit depends on the nut type. On my zero run Kraton EXB, the taller bolts, (cap heads?) like the front or rear diff covers, there is a little play but I have found a couple that have no play. The flat head screws from the chassis side are super snug. So there is probably some variance but fastener.
Just did a measurement of the 2.0 and 2.5. The 2.0 measured 1.91-.92 and isn't showing any wear. The 2.5 averages 2.35 and is showing a little wear but far from rounding out.
Hurricane

Having both MIP and Vanquish, there is a difference. MIPs afford more torque. Wider handle. I have smallish hands if that means anything? Might just be splittings on this. That's Purely subjective. Just me. Like them both. Having both sets rounds out my tool collection. I would give up the Vanquish first if I had to though.
I'm just figuring if you have smaller hands and they are small for you then I might outta stay away from them. Wish could hold them in person get a feel smh
The interesting thing is that the fit depends on the nut type. On my zero run Kraton EXB, the taller bolts, (cap heads?) like the front or rear diff covers, there is a little play but I have found a couple that have no play. The flat head screws from the chassis side are super snug. So there is probably some variance but fastener.
Just did a measurement of the 2.0 and 2.5. The 2.0 measured 1.91-.92 and isn't showing any wear. The 2.5 averages 2.35 and is showing a little wear but far from rounding out.
Hurricane
Thank you very much, have you had them for some time?

Vanquish I have since Dec. Mip's are 5 years old. I use both. Together. To see the differences better. I find myself going for the MIP with tight screws or tightening more. Especially Pinion set screws and motor mount screws that are Threadlocked. Vanquish color codes size of their drivers the same as MiP.

20210302_190025.jpg

20210302_191439.jpg

Vanquish I have since Dec. Mip's are 5 years old. I use both. Together. To see the differences better. I find myself going for the MIP with tight screws or tightening more. Especially Pinion set screws and motor mount screws that are Threadlocked. Vanquish color codes size of their drivers the same as MiP.

View attachment 129702

View attachment 129703
Thank you very much, the picture helps alot. I have alot more piece of mind now ^^

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back