PSA! Don’t use adapters, I learned the hard way… (ok, not that hard, but still)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pug

Very Active Member
Hospitality Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Typhon 3s
1AAE805F-853D-437D-9F3F-EA0D8BB86AF9.jpeg

The deans connectors are literally welded together! I was only running 3s with my Typhon 3s. I just can’t say enough how lucky I am for the solder to not short the LiPo and ESC! I am going to discharge the LiPo with a 12v car lightbulb since it’s at the end of its life. From now on I’m going to use direct EC5 and IC5 connections, only using adapters for charging.

edit: if you look closely, you can see that the solder melted and moved.

I have found it’s better to spend the money on a nice soldering iron (Hakko I am a fan of) and switch battery and ESC over to your connector of choice and ditch the adapter

I have found it’s better to spend the money on a nice soldering iron (Hakko I am a fan of) and switch battery and ESC over to your connector of choice and ditch the adapter
I have a decent soldering iron, I’m going to switch my next LiPo to EC5/IC5.

View attachment 186814
The deans connectors are literally welded together! I was only running 3s with my Typhon 3s. I just can’t say enough how lucky I am for the solder to not short the LiPo and ESC! I am going to discharge the LiPo with a 12v car lightbulb since it’s at the end of its life. From now on I’m going to use direct EC5 and IC5 connections, only using adapters for charging.

edit: if you look closely, you can see that the solder melted and moved.

All I can say is you were warned in previous posts.

Deans can't handle a lot of current. They were a step up from Tamiya. I only have a few cars that still have deans (that's because I haven't gotten around to changing them yet)

All I can say is you were warned in previous posts.
Yeah, it was completely my fault, I didn’t put the blame on anyone except myself. I just didn’t want to spend $5 on a LiPo that had like 5 cycles left.

Yeah, it was completely my fault, I didn’t put the blame on anyone except myself. I just didn’t want to spend $5 on a LiPo that had like 5 cycles left.
Hey, the important part is that now you know, and no real hurt or loss👍
Connectors can be reused if in godd shape to..prolly not after any real length of use however.
I always have to learn for myself too..

That's because Deans are poo poo, not rated for high current apps.

Is there a way to remove the cover on an IC5 connector? I want to save it for my next LiPo.

Pull down. You may need some pliers and rock it while you pull down (with the plug facing up)
Thanks! It came apart pretty easily. Any idea on how to safely discharge the LiPo?

Ec's are tricky to get apart without destruction(for me). I don't actually use them cuz I'm THAT cheap(think of me as 2 coats of paint) LOL..
I actually bought an esc from JRC that had ec5's and I wanted to remove the ec5 so I could reuse the jumper with xt90's (that cheap)..ended up hacking it apart to save the 3" of wire.🙄

Conversely xt's come apart much easier(for reuse by 2coats like me)

I'd guess ic5 are same construction as ec? Idk.

Ec's are tricky to get apart without destruction(for me). I don't actually use them cuz I'm THAT cheap(think of me as 2 coats of paint) LOL..
I actually bought an esc from JRC that had ec5's and I wanted to remove the ec5 so I could reuse the jumper with xt90's (that cheap)..ended up hacking it apart to save the 3" of wire.🙄

Conversely xt's come apart much easier(for reuse by 2coats like me)

I'd guess ic5 are same construction as ec? Idk.

IC’s are like XT90’s with pins that are fixed in the housing and not like the EC’s where you solder on the pin to the wire and either drive it in from the front or rear of the plug. Makes it easier but you do have to be careful not to melt the plastic housing.

Thanks! It came apart pretty easily. Any idea on how to safely discharge the LiPo?
I assume you mean to permanently discard it. Best method is to see if your local hobby shop will take it for disposal…many do. If they don’t, I’ve always used my charger which has a discharge setting (do this in safe place and monitor) which brings the battery very low but not all the way. Then I place the battery fully submerged in salt water in a bucket for at least 24hr to truly finish it off. You can also hook a small bulb to it (some submerge in sand for this step) for the same effect.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back