PSA: Pinion Gear Puller

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
10AF7BBE-31F3-4868-9747-947C33C44B2E.jpeg

After doing battle with the pinion gear on my brand new Typhon, I went and picked up one of these. From the factory, Arrma uses an ungodly amount of loctite on the pinion gear set screw and it gets on the shaft. It took me 30 minutes last night to remove the factory pinion and I beat the hell out of the motor mount in the process. If I had a pinion puller the job would have been over in 5 minutes and my motor mount wouldn’t have been harmed. I’m new to electric so I didn’t have this tool in my box. I do now. For $24 it could save you a ton of aggravation.

That or a lighter

I used a torch and still couldn’t knock it off easily. There was so much loctite on there. Trust me when I tell you a lighter wouldn’t have cut it.

View attachment 21638

After doing battle with the pinion gear on my brand new Typhon, I went and picked up one of these. From the factory, Arrma uses an ungodly amount of loctite on the pinion gear set screw and it gets on the shaft. It took me 30 minutes last night to remove the factory pinion and I beat the hell out of the motor mount in the process. If I had a pinion puller the job would have been over in 5 minutes and my motor mount wouldn’t have been harmed. I’m new to electric so I didn’t have this tool in my box. I do now. For $24 it could save you a ton of aggravation.
That's actually pretty dang clever. I like it! :D

That's actually pretty dang clever. I like it! :D

I've only really needed one with brand new vehicles. I got the Kraton one off after a little bit. But the Typhon one wouldn't fit though the motor mount and it made it really difficult.

I fought with the stock pinion for 20 minutes and ended up heating the set screw with a soldering iron and my wife's clothes iron on the face of the pinion.
I should probably go ahead and order a puller just to save me future aggravation

I ended up cutting my stock pinion off, had to chop the damn thing in half. The grub screw insta stripped on me.

Mine was stuck pretty good on my outcast when I got it. I used a mini torch on the pinion directly until it was pretty hot, then it slipped off pretty easily.

That puller does look like a good thing to use though in general. Then your not putting any strain at all on the motor shaft/magnet.

View attachment 21638

@bicketybam can you tell us what model/part number that puller is and where you got it?

TT

8770F88A-F7FB-4204-AD3F-BF44066C5BD9.jpeg
@bicketybam can you tell us what model/part number that puller is and where you got it?

TT

I got it from my local Hobbytown USA. It looked like it was sitting there for 10 years.

I just snapped one of the small aluminium universal pullers getting the pinion off the typhon motor. Ended up using a set of proper bearing pullers.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back