Puffed battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
I’ve got a badly puffed battery that I just discovered. What’s the disposal protocol? Do I discharge it? I know there is something to do with salt water too. Help me out,

You could wire up a light bulb to discharge and then take it to a facility that accepts batteries. I think the salt water method takes a long time, never tried it.

Whatever you choose, do it outside and away from flammables. A slow and steady discharge wins the race.

I discharge with light bulbs to 0 volts then strip leads and twist together to stay @ 0 volts. The salt water often corrodes the wires off the terminals before fully discharging the battery. Once at 0 volts, take to recycling

Not trying to sound like we all keep repeating the same thing but yeah 12v automotive light bulb(2 if doing a 6s) keep it in a safe place in case it goes boom.

And as stated the salt water method does nothing but corrode the tabs off the cells. I left a 6s in a bucket for 2 weeks and the one cell I could still sheck had almost 2v in it.

Cup of salt in a gallon of water, clip leads 1 at a time, drop battery into bucket.. Wait 24 hours.. throw battery away or recycle.. It will be dead at that point, the salt water will have drained the current to 0.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back