Punch setting effects

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boohoo

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Hi I have read up about punch settings and im getting 2 different answers. One is it only effects the throttle itself like how touchy you want the throttle eg only a bit of throttle to make it start moving vs more throttle to make it start moving. The other answer is it effects the acceleration from when you punch it till top speed.

The punch limits how fast it lets you get to full throttle when you pull the throttle all the way.

So for example, in a car if you mash the pedal it will go straight to 100%. If you lower the punch, even if you mash the throttle it will smooth it out as if you had smoothly (and a little more gradually) pushed down on the pedal all the way to max rather than an instanteous 0-100% hit.

On my race setup Kraton, I've found that even set to 1 it's not low enough to reduce wheel spin even on 4s. I usually run punch on 4 for my 6s bashing setups, but never really looked into punch on those as I'm fine with them at factory.

I like the definition from @razorrc .

I like punch 4 and 5, depending on my lipo. And I ran the whole gammet. Not much else you can get out of that BLX185. I use a HW program card on it. Easier to set Punch and the few other settings you have. Its limited. I don't like pushing the BLX185. runs too hot for my taste. I had one fire already. Not crazy about the ESC overall. I'm spoiled with my HW XR8+ /1900kv sensored setup on my Tekno. Motor Timing, etc.

Last edited:
With brushless motors you have 100% torque available from 1 rpm onwards as a basic power delivery characteristic of the powertrain.
Lowering Punch setting reduces this initial torque by limiting current and ramping it up over time as speed or input? increases... which can make it feel a bit more like a IC engine.

Some higher end escs have initial and secondary punch settings with a lot more adjustability in being able to set start and end points for both punch 1 & 2 .... and iirc exponential punch torque curves for each?
Probs overkill for most people but if you were a dedicated racer, being able to tune your power delivery would be a worthwhile thing to have.

With brushless motors you have 100% torque available from 1 rpm onwards as a basic power delivery characteristic of the powertrain.
Lowering Punch setting reduces this initial torque by limiting current and ramping it up over time as speed or input? increases... which can make it feel a bit more like a IC engine.

Some higher end escs have initial and secondary punch settings with a lot more adjustability in being able to set start and end points for both punch 1 & 2 .... and iirc exponential punch torque curves for each?
Probs overkill for most people but if you were a dedicated racer, being able to tune your power delivery would be a worthwhile thing to have.
And that's where Sensored ESC's and motors come into play.(y)

I like punch 4 and 5, depending on my lipo. And I ran the whole gammet. Not much else you can get out of that BLX185. I use a HW program card on it. Easier to set Punch and the few other settings you have. Its limited. I don't like pushing the BLX185. runs too hot for my taste. I had one fire already. Not crazy about the ESC overall. I'm spoiled with my HW XR8+ /1900kv sensored setup on my Tekno. Motor Timing, etc.
I've just ordered a hw xerun xr8 plus combo for my race Kraton, can't wait to see how it goes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back