Typhon Q: Troubleshooting steering problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bscheife

Reaction score
Hey'all the steering on my Typhon 3S has started acting up today. It'll run straight, and within about a minute or so, the steering will turn fully to one side or the other without any inputs from me (either side -- it seems random to me). Also, sometimes when running circles, the steering will just turn to the opposite direction by itself. So I do a right-hand circle and it's fine. Then I'll start a left-hand circle, and the car will start the circle, but within a second or two, it will turn fully to the other direction by itself. This is all at slow speeds as well as high speeds: it's not just the car bouncing around -- the steering actually engages. Any thoughts on whether this sounds like it's the servo, the receiver, or the transmitter? To me, it feels like it's the servo, but I'm also not sure how to best troubleshoot the problem to narrow it down. I don't have any other electronics to throw in and test with.

The car is only about 2 months old, so I'm hoping Horizon Hobby will warranty it, but I want to clarify what the problem is first. Any help is appreciated!

At first I thought it was radio interference, but I've tried in multiple different locations now and get the same problem. It's definitely not outside radio interference

Yeah, servo looks like it is bricked. They notoriously don't last long. Running in the wet if the case, doesn't help. No RC is truly WP. 🤷‍♂️
Get a new one from HH under warranty or better yet, buy this, below, and upgrade the Servos saver ( Kimbrough HD SS) to a 25 spline if the current stock servo is a Spektrum label. (23spline)
Any DS3235 35kg is good and plenty powerful for your 3s 4x4. Inexpensive also. Way better than stock.:cool:

Amazon.com: DS3235 35KG 270 Degree Coreless Digital RC Motor Servo, Miuezuth Stainless Steel & Aluminum Metal Gear – High Speed High Efficiency High Torque Waterproof Servo for Baja Cars RC Robot: Toys & Games

Thanks @SrC for the tips. I did do some rainy-day runs :rolleyes: so you're probably right.

I might do both, get the warranty replacement to keep as a backup and buy a better one in the meantime. Quick question: why do you suggest a 35kg? The one in there now is 7kg as far as I know, so a 35kg seems like a lot. I was thinking 20kg would probably be plenty. Also, can you tell me how to interpret the "DS3235" label? I'm guessing the "DS" stands for "digital servo" and the "35" stands for 35kg, but what does the "32" mean?

D means digital the 35 means 35 kg.
25 kg is fine. 7kg is very weak IMHO, and for a few dollars more makes for best performance. 25 kg may work for you also. But MT tires are larger and having 35 kg will cover you when changing to larger tires. Large heavy tires need stronger servos.
Having a backup servo is fine. Good to have. Call HH. A better servo will make the rig drive so much more responsive to driver input. You can never have too much torque in a servo. $35. is not a lot for a 35kg servo. Digital Coreless and steel gears. WAY better than stock. Many use this servo. But you can have too little torque in a servo, Never too much.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Yeah I hear ya. Sounds like things are a bit more expensive for us in Canada than they are in the States ($65 for the servo + SS) and I've dumped a lot of money into this rig lately, but I might bite the bullet on the 35kg. Anyway, appreciate the insights

Well it was definitely the servo. Somehow punched a hole in the side of it and rocks & dirt got in. Needless to say, it's toast and replacement is on its way. I have no idea how on Earth this happened though...

IMG_1900.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back