QS8 connectors smoke

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have lhs soder my hi power connectors.8awg is hard to get hot enough without high dollar sodering systems .I've burnt up 3 xlx2.CC rep said from my $HITTY SODERING.ive learned my lesson,lhs guy has a hard time sodering 8awg with good soder gun

I did the same thing charging a qa8.not plugged all the way in.was smoking.melted the inside,was very hard to clean burnt plastic out.
Your LHS is not very experienced with soldering if even he is struggling with it. Just me.
Soldering is just part of this hobby. Whether it is something you don't want to learn or tackle or just pay someone else to do it.
A good soldering station is needed. Not a pencil type. They are not all that expensive IMHO. Wallet permitting.
You are in a league now that you are running QS8's. Need to step it up a notch.
Nothing wrong with going to a LHS for this. Just need a quality job whoever is doing it.
Need flux paste for 8 guage connectors. There isn't enough flux in the core of standard coiled solder.
And Leaded solder Needs to be used. From my experience. It melts at a lower temp. And quickly.
A slow soldering of any connector will melt the plastic jacket and distort the connection. It is junk at this point. That easily.
This will always more easily happen if the male and female connectors were not mated during soldering to keep the bullet alighment straight. And a Soldering Jig is needed.
:cool:

Last edited:
And Leaded solder Needs to be used.

In my experience you can do large wires and large connectors effectively with lead-free solder, but you need something larger and hotter than a typical station with 1/4" tip. The 80W pencil iron with 3/8" tip I linked further back in the thread will do it, my station will not. It heats too slowly and I get excessive wicking of solder up the wire strands. Both work fine with leaded solder.

I have lhs soder my hi power connectors.8awg is hard to get hot enough without high dollar sodering systems .I've burnt up 3 xlx2.CC rep said from my $HITTY SODERING.ive learned my lesson,lhs guy has a hard time sodering 8awg with good soder gun

I did the same thing charging a qa8.not plugged all the way in.was smoking.melted the inside,was very hard to clean burnt plastic out.
From memory this little setup was around $30AUS delivered. It’s nothing flash but she gets the job done.
That Iron will put the heat down onto the cable(800+F) but I suggest using the flux especially when you’re soldering a Cap Pack onto the ESC.

CE9F544C-1521-47F3-9353-2CF7CD8386E1.jpeg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/373561612305

5A761F8B-3F3A-4F0A-8C27-18FEDA10FFE4.jpeg

Last edited:
From memory this little setup was around $30AUS delivered. It’s nothing flash but she gets the job done.
That Iron will put the heat down onto the cable(800+F) but I suggest using the flux especially when you’re soldering a Cap Pack onto the ESC.

nice, similar setup here.
Wood is best for fixing bullets because it isolates heat, helping hand will do it's job for holding wires.

i allways use flux because it removes the oxide layer and in theory you should get a better joint and less resistance. But I'm not an expert, i just trust in what manufacturers say.

I just abused some of my son's toy :)

1635280609929.png

Your LHS is not very experienced with soldering if even he is struggling with it. Just me.
Soldering is just part of this hobby. Whether it is something you don't want to learn or tackle or just pay someone else to do it.
A good soldering station is needed. Not a pencil type. They are not all that expensive IMHO. Wallet permitting.
Nothing wrong with going to a LHS for this. Just need a quality job whoever is doing it.
Need flux paste for 8 guage connectors. There isn't enough flux in the core of standard coiled solder.
And Leaded solder Needs to be used. From my experience. It melts at a lower temp. And quickly.
A slow soldering of any connector will melt the plastic jacket and distort the connection. It is junk at this point. That easily.
This will always more easily happen if the male and female connectors were not mated during soldering to keep the bullet alighment straight. And a Soldering Jig is needed.
After burning up over 1000$ worth escz this year I'll rely on others to soder 250++amp speedrun syste.s till I feel confident sodering them myself.i think dad needs a good soder setup for Christmas. I'll get it down over winter when there's nothing to do.heres email from castle I just got about junk escz I sent them looks like I'm bout to get 3 xlx2 1 mmx8s an a mm2.gotta buy them,,half price ..ole lady about to be pist.$152 for xlx2 and $119 for mmx8s.

Screenshot_20211026-184528_Drive.jpg

I cant fault anyone for not wanting to solder. It is like a hobby by itself. It can be an investment also for the right Iron. And tools.
Practice makes perfect. Part of the hobby I like. But took me years to be confident. I am a slow learner. I find it easy now. Like building a diff or anything else. I never ruined any ESC's, lipos or motors before. If anything I may get a Cold Dull Joint once in a while. Need to redo it. That's all.
Need to watch many videos first. Are many different techniques to get the desired results. Find what works for you and follow it.

Last edited:
After burning up over 1000$ worth escz this year I'll rely on others to soder 250++amp speedrun syste.s till I feel confident sodering them myself.i think dad needs a good soder setup for Christmas. I'll get it down over winter when there's nothing to do.heres email from castle I just got about junk escz I sent them looks like I'm bout to get 3 xlx2 1 mmx8s an a mm2.gotta buy them,,half price ..ole lady about to be pist.$152 for xlx2 and $119 for mmx8s.

View attachment 176265
:(
I get ya. I would also have PTSD if I ruined much of this high end gear myself.
Just that I am at a point, skill wise, where I would never trust another to solder my gear. I developled the confidence and skill. Yeah not for everyone.
And I have seen some horrible soldering at LHS's before. QS8's are not cheap either. Would hate to have a LHS ruin them and/or my ESC's and motors. Rather I did. Then I can only blame myself. And learn from my mistakes.
That is what motivated me to get good at soldering. Soldering truly is a hobby unto itself.

I’ve just had a QS8 connecter do the same as the opening post, plugged in 2 x 4s lipos, the servo was stuttering as if the bec wasn’t powerful enough and the esc kept rebooting when moving the servo. I then added a small amount of throttle and one of the connectors started smoking…

Theres nothing wrong with the soldering, the connectors were fully home, it was as if the power was going through the resistor side of the connector and smoked when it was overloaded… Afterwards I reconnected everything and it all work fine. I can’t quite work out what went wrong?? Lol

Makes no difference my esc has anti spark built in anyway :LOL:

That's a tough one there. If you smoked the anti spark resistors, the QS8 connector may now Pop like it has No resistor??:unsure:
ESC has anti-spark, so why would the QS8 anti-spark resistor fry in the first place?
I'm stumped.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back