Limitless Qs8 or 6.5 or 8mm connections for XLX2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edough13

Bashing, Speed running and family!!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Mojave
  6. Notorious
  7. Typhon 6s
  8. Vorteks
So I have a XLX2 coming and definitely don't want to keep running Ic5 connectors so want to get opinions from our speed runners on what has worked best and is easiest to solder and deal with. I'd assume like any bullet they are going to be the easiest to solder but don't like the possibility of shorting the battery due to the free connections not being attached next to each other. Appreciate any and all help and feedback fellas!

So I have a XLX2 coming and definitely don't want to keep running Ic5 connectors so want to get opinions from our speed runners on what has worked best and is easiest to solder and deal with. I'd assume like any bullet they are going to be the easiest to solder but don't like the possibility of shorting the battery due to the free connections not being attached next to each other. Appreciate any and all help and feedback fellas!
8mm bullets. Stagger your battery leads to reduce chance of shorting, and run heat shrink as far up on each end. Solder a 5ohm resistor overhanging the female connector on the ESC to touch your packs to and charge the cap pack before connecting the bullets. It'll reduce or stop arcing. @rotauq can probably explain much better than I can 🤔

Thanks @ABabyEater and you going to respond to the PM on those pinions 🤣 now that I have to send my damn 1717 1650 kv back more than likely I'll definitely need the 37-41t pinions for the 1260kv I've got in my Lim now.

I like my qs8’s .. easy to use and easy to solder… just remember when your ordering them to order enough to make charge leads! Ask me how I know… 😂🤣

I like my qs8’s .. easy to use and easy to solder… just remember when your ordering them to order enough to make charge leads! Ask me how I know… 😂🤣
Ya definitely need to be able to charge them 🤣

Firstly, not 6.5mm..!!
If you want the safest fool proof connector go with QS8's, I personally prefer 8mm bullets as I find the QS8's just too big and bulky.
Also I find bullets far easier to solder than QS8's..

Here's my way of keeping the batteries safe, I made plug booty's with heat shrink.😉🤣
If you wire your plugs like this they aren't able to touch each other..😉👍🏼

IMG_6784 copy.jpeg
IMG_6786 copy.jpeg

I’m using QS8S connectors as my XT150 were getting hot on speed runs. Also the XT150 come apart in hard bash landings at times. The QS8S are hard as hell to get apart so no chance they disconnect. Nice they have anti spark built in too. Just remember to put the boot on the wire before grabbing the soldering iron.

I’m using QS8S connectors as my XT150 were getting hot on speed runs. Also the XT150 come apart in hard bash landings at times. The QS8S are hard as hell to get apart so no chance they disconnect. Nice they have anti spark built in too. Just remember to put the boot on the wire before grabbing the soldering iron.
Thanks for the input bro! Ya I learned the hard way with Ic5 lol definitely no fun having to unsolder and resolder when you think your all done🤦
Firstly, not 6.5mm..!!
If you want the safest fool proof connector go with QS8's, I personally prefer 8mm bullets as I find the QS8's just too big and bulky.

Here's my way of keeping the batteries safe, I made plug booty's with heat shrink.😉🤣

View attachment 157214View attachment 157215
Thanks for the input! Only reason I'd go 6.5's is I've got an assload of bullets so would cost me nothing, and CNHL have some stupid cheap deals right now on some 6.5 4s and 6s packs. Thinking of going Qs8's as they do seem the best and safest choice just need like 5 sets and will have now packs that will only be able to be used on my speed rig but I've got other lipos for my bashers so not too big a deal.

I run Castle 8mm bullets and barrels on everything speedrun related, I prefer these over the QS8 connectors because they don't take up nearly as much room under the body, but are still 8mm.. Also less hardware and connectors overall in the system so less chance of a bottleneck. One drawback to using these is the huge spark you get when running strong 8s batteries and making that last connection.. it corrodes the metal of the connectors so they will need to be replaced fairly regularly if you run your cars often. This is something you don't get with the QS8 I guess, but not a huge deal for me. overall if your looking for serious speed I think these or the Qs8 are the best way to go. I see some guys using XT150 also, but its not as common

IMG_E6236.JPG

I run Castle 8mm bullets and barrels on everything speedrun related, I prefer these over the QS8 connectors because they don't take up nearly as much room under the body, but are still 8mm.. Also less hardware and connectors overall in the system so less chance of a bottleneck. One drawback to using these is the huge spark you get when running strong 8s batteries and making that last connection.. it corrodes the metal of the connectors so they will need to be replaced fairly regularly if you run your cars often. This is something you don't get with the QS8 I guess, but not a huge deal for me. overall if your looking for serious speed I think these or the Qs8 are the best way to go. I see some guys using XT150 also, but its not as common

View attachment 157656
You could use a single QS8 directly out of the ESC to a Y adapter with 8mm bullets to each pack. This would make it a single QS8 connector instead of two and you would still get AS.

In the process of completing my stretched Typhon and didn’t know what connector to choose. I soldered xt150’s first and heard I would have issues with amperage. I changed to the 8mm bullets. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I don’t disagree that the QS8 connector is the way to go, but I do agree that they’re too bulky IMO!

9869A222-F75D-4CB9-9DEF-4F4853DEF48A.jpeg

D82B7B32-8BB4-4333-B123-D4E7C47F1BCE.jpeg

Why are you sending your 1717 back?
Ugh😠 because they sent it back to me with a used bent rotor to replace my bent rotor and the reason I sent it in to begin with. So I was told by the Castle representative when I spoke to them that a brand new rotor had been installed and motor was being sent back at no cost. But I get it and the shaft is clearly used had 2 deep marks from pinions and was bent .5mm also. This is what they sent me 👇 absolutely rediculas to say the least!! Used parts for warranty repair!?
IMG_20210709_133459229.jpg
IMG_20210709_135714043.jpg
IMG_20210709_135741980.jpg

Not sure why we need over 5mm connectors while the esc wires are little over 3mm?

Not sure why we need over 5mm connectors while the esc wires are little over 3mm?
The resistance of connectors is always higher than that of wires. With bullets especially, maximizing contact between the surfaces is best done by getting a large diameter (like 8mm) and by making sure they fit tightly. I’ve heard of bullets smaller than 6.5mm desoldering from high-amp pulls, and in my mind it would be silly to risk bottlenecking an XLX2 with anything smaller than 8mm bullets.

The resistance of connectors is always higher than that of wires. With bullets especially, maximizing contact between the surfaces is best done by getting a large diameter (like 8mm) and by making sure they fit tightly. I’ve heard of bullets smaller than 6.5mm desoldering from high-amp pulls, and in my mind it would be silly to risk bottlenecking an XLX2 with anything smaller than 8mm bullets.
There is a video out there (can't remember his name) of a guy desoldering his 8mm bullets on a 182mph pull

Firstly, not 6.5mm..!!

View attachment 157214View attachment 157215
Yes sir, been doing that for ten years in the fast boats👍🏼

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back