Typhon Quest to 125mph Typhon V5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaxon14

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Jackson I am new to the Arrma Forum and to Arrma products!

My recent purchase of a Typhon 6s V5 has left me with an appetite for speed! Here's how it is going so far.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Running 2 x Gen Ace 60C 3s Batteries in Series

1. Stock Set Up on the provided 20t pinion I achieved 73.28mph *Downhill*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Blew out the stock Spektrum Firma ESC in a parking lot.
3. Upgraded to Mamba Monster X 8S ESC and tires to badlands (not for speed runs but for the bmx track) and figured it would technically have a higher gear ratio due to the tires being slightly larger than the stock Dakar Dboots diameter. I achieved a remarkable 82mph!
4. Purchased Hoons to try to keep buggy straight at high speeds and to save the life of my Badlands. I ran 66.39mph on the 20t.
5. The latest addition has been the Castle Creations 2200kv 1515 green can, 23T, Hot Front Brace, Hot Racing Motor Mount, and misc parts to repair from bashing incidents. Hoons 77mph and Badland 87.14mph!

I have tried to add timing (15 degrees) but road surfaces were damp and although it didnt seem to provide more top end. That could be an illusion as I may not have had traction. Will do one more speed run in the dry with timing added to see if anything changes!

The plan is to gear it to 23/34 (Limitless Spool). If you guys could help point me in the right direction to crack 100mph or would like to see logs of the pulls let me know!
PXL_20210108_214456882.jpg
PXL_20210109_040513414.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210109_092012378.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210109_092031120.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, my name is Jackson I am new to the Arrma Forum and to Arrma products!

My recent purchase of a Typhon 6s V5 has left me with an appetite for speed! Here's how it is going so far.
Running 2 x Gen Ace 60C 3s Batteries in Series

1. Stock Set Up on the provided 20t pinion I achieved 73.28mph *Downhill*
2. Blew out the stock Spektrum Firma ESC in a parking lot.
3. Upgraded to Mamba Monster X 8S ESC and tires to badlands (not for speed runs but for the bmx track) and figured it would technically have a higher gear ratio due to the tires being slightly larger than the stock Dakar Dboots diameter. I achieved a remarkable 82mph!
4. Purchased Hoons to try to keep buggy straight at high speeds and to save the life of my Badlands. I ran 66.39mph on the 20t.
5. The latest addition has been the Castle Creations 2200kv 1515 green can, 23T, Hot Front Brace, Hot Racing Motor Mount, and misc parts to repair from bashing incidents. Hoons 77mph and Badland 87.14mph!

I have tried to add timing (15 degrees) but road surfaces were damp and although it didnt seem to provide more top end. That could be an illusion as I may not have had traction. Will do one more speed run in the dry with timing added to see if anything changes!

The plan is to gear it to 23/34 (Limitless Spool). If you guys could help point me in the right direction to crack 100mph or would like to see logs of the pulls let me know!
View attachment 118954View attachment 118955View attachment 118956View attachment 118957
I don’t think 22/34 is going to work. The motor mount won’t get them close enough. Smallest pinion you can use with the 34T spool is a 27T

I'm not a speed run guy, more of a basher but check out a YouTube channel: youtube.com/user/razrazrazrazraz1

He's got Typhon and other Arrma models on his channel. He seems to be very open to sharing all his info.

I'm not a speed run guy, more of a basher but check out a YouTube channel: youtube.com/user/razrazrazrazraz1

He's got Typhon and other Arrma models on his channel. He seems to be very open to sharing all his info.
I like both... :geek: (y) But then again I also fly planes, helis, and drones. I gotta do it all. lol

UPDATE: New Personal Best of 109.92mph on extracted GoPro telemetry and 108mph the GoPro Quik app!

This was not a smooth pass and I did punch the throttle very hard as the road we took the test hits on was fairly busy at times and we didn't want to impede traffic.

Went to a 30t pinion and 34t spool! I am posting my log to see what I need to do next to go faster on the current set up before going 1:1 gearing!
Appears to have a voltage drop, is that due to the 60c batteries? Also, I only see 99.7% power out, what exactly does that mean?

Thank you everyone for all your help and suggestions!

Personal Best 109.92-108mph.png

UPDATE: New Personal Best of 109.92mph on extracted GoPro telemetry and 108mph the GoPro Quik app!

This was not a smooth pass and I did punch the throttle very hard as the road we took the test hits on was fairly busy at times and we didn't want to impede traffic.

Went to a 30t pinion and 34t spool! I am posting my log to see what I need to do next to go faster on the current set up before going 1:1 gearing!
Appears to have a voltage drop, is that due to the 60c batteries? Also, I only see 99.7% power out, what exactly does that mean?

Thank you everyone for all your help and suggestions!

Looking good, others chimed in before I could offer assistance.
Just changing to a "top shelf" lipo alone should help you pickup nearly 5mph.

Your data log picture seems to be cut off now showing the numbers.

Be careful about making two runs back to back like that as the motor may get too hot. You may also want to look at balancing the tires if you have not already.

Be careful about making two runs back to back like that as the motor may get too hot. You may also want to look at balancing the tires if you have not already.
I'll reupload the log shortly if you could give me some insight that would be great!

I have a cut off set at 170f and the motor only hit 107f on the back to back but I will keep that in mind for the spring and summer seasons. I'd like to hit 125mph and I am willing to purchase a top shelf lipo and anything else I need to do this but I'd like to stick to the castle electronics I already have!

Have not yet balanced tires and will look into how to do that!

I'll reupload the log shortly if you could give me some insight that would be great!

I have a cut off set at 170f and the motor only hit 107f on the back to back but I will keep that in mind for the spring and summer seasons. I'd like to hit 125mph and I am willing to purchase a top shelf lipo and anything else I need to do this but I'd like to stick to the castle electronics I already have!

Have not yet balanced tires and will look into how to do that!
By using a good quality 100c lipo, I'm sure you'll see a difference. Also, the @phildogg Ripple Killer or other quality version cap packs, might be affective in the quest for higher speeds. I'm no pro by a long stretch, but the 100c battery took me over 100 mph without changing one other thing. Highest I could manage before that was 98 mph on good quality 50c batteries.

Personal Best 109.92-108mph with numbers.png

Here are my logs with numbers included! Thank you for the help everyone!

View attachment 121239
Here are my logs with numbers included! Thank you for the help everyone!

Logs look good, your amperage is still fairly low so you do not have a desperate need for new LiPos YET.
I think when you hit 120mph and its pulling close to 400 amps is when the LiPos will really show their true colors.

Your next moves should be to try 32t pinion and then 34t and compare the logs.

Your ripple is a bit high and capacitors help suppress surges in the power system. As mentioned a capacitor pack or cap pack as they are often called is one thing you will need to help protect the ESC. Better batteries can also help reduce ripple, but I still see ripple even when the best batteries on the market.

On the note about not seeing 100% throttle, I would go back and do the throttle calibration on the ESC again. Try to do the trigger pull the same as you would while running the car (not squeezing like crazy) I suspect when you calibrated it you squeeze harder than while driving it.

If you have not already trimmed the rear wing this would be a good next move. You will need some wing there so don't go crazy.
Another mod would be to install the Limitless/Infraction shock towers and shocks. This will make the car feel significantly more stable. People also use nitro fuel tube over the shock shaft to limit the shock travel. This is most important on the rear to keep it from squatting and blowing over.

Logs look good, your amperage is still fairly low so you do not have a desperate need for new LiPos YET.
I think when you hit 120mph and its pulling close to 400 amps is when the LiPos will really show their true colors.

Your ripple is a bit high and capacitors help suppress surges in the power system. As mentioned a capacitor pack or cap pack as they are often called is one thing you will need to help protect the ESC. Better batteries can also help reduce ripple, but I still see ripple even when the best batteries on the market.

On the note about not seeing 100% throttle, I would go back and do the throttle calibration on the ESC again. Try to do the trigger pull the same as you would while running the car (not squeezing like crazy) I suspect when you calibrated it you squeeze harder than while driving it.

If you have not already trimmed the rear wing this would be a good next move. You will need some wing there so don't go crazy.
Another mod would be to install the Limitless/Infraction shock towers and shocks. This will make the car feel significantly more stable. People also use nitro fuel tube over the shock shaft to limit the shock travel. This is most important on the rear to keep it from squatting and blowing over.
I have trimmed the wing, I took the lip off completely and smoothed out the center (V5 Typhon Stock Wing) do you think I went to far? I can grab a picture later today.

I will report back after I get some cap packs, the 32t, and recalibrate the throttle with esc.

I have trimmed the wing, I took the lip off completely and smoothed out the center (V5 Typhon Stock Wing) do you think I went to far? I can grab a picture later today.

I will report back after I get some cap packs, the 32t, and recalibrate the throttle with esc.
Based on the video, the wing situation looks fine. With the Kraton when I removed the rear wing the back end would lift/fish-tail at then end of a run while braking (but I picked up 2 mph)

(y) Sounds like you are doing great so far!

Last edited:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back