Senton Question About Battery charge rates on NiMh

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

W1cH0

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
Hello everyone! im having some questions about charging my batteries,

the stock battery is a 8.4v 2,400mah nimh, the first 5 or 8 cycles where with the stock charger at 0.7amps, it takes 3 and a half hours to charge, recently a bought a better charger that can charge at 1amp, 2, 3 or 4 amps, my question is, now I have 3 batteries, the stock one, a 7.2v 2,400mah battery that came with the charger and a 8.4v 4,200 that I just bought.

can I safely charge the 2,400mah at 2amps with not damage? im not sure how many cycles those batteries last or should I charge them at 1amp?

the 4,200mah battery had excellent reviews on amazon but seller says the max charge rate is 2amps, I haven't put any cycles on it, should I charge it from the beginning at 2amps? as I said im kinda impatient but I don't want to damage them and get less than 100 cycles out of them... thanks for the feedback guys really appreciate!

Honestly the slower the better with any battery.. if they recommend no more than 2 amp on the 4200 I would stick by that rule..

You can try the 2 amp on the 2400 but monitor it closely.. if it starts to heat up fast you should lower the amp input.. personally I think 1 amp on the 2400 would be best..

Got a link to the battery pack? In most cases, NiMH or Lipo, you can just divide the MaH by 1000 and that's the "safe" amperage you can charge it. I haven't run many NiMH 7.2V packs (other than for ezstarters), but that was always the rule of thumb.

With sub-c and 2/3A packs:
Capacity 1600 - charge at or below 1.6A
Capacity 2100 - charge at or below 2.1A
Capacity 3300 - charge at or below 3.3A
Capacity 4200 - charge at or below 4.2A

This held true with both I believel and I've never had issue deviating from that.

With AA cells, I cut it in half or less as they don't take charge or release charge as readily as sub-c and 2/3A cells. Like the 2100mah LSD AA NiMH cells in my remote, I charge at 500mah (.5A) when I'm not in a hurry, but I don't go over 1A otherwise.

Honestly the slower the better with any battery.. if they recommend no more than 2 amp on the 4200 I would stick by that rule..

You can try the 2 amp on the 2400 but monitor it closely.. if it starts to heat up fast you should lower the amp input.. personally I think 1 amp on the 2400 would be best..
I’ve been charging them for the last 3 or 4 cycles at 2 amps and they only get warm when almost fully charge

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back