Question about motor sizing and tips on what to use.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
  2. 4x4-Mega
I have been reading this and other forums for weeks now, and all it has done is confuse me when it comes to brushless motors. The confusion isnt from the KV rating, but, the first numbers that are listed. I finally figured out that KV is actually RPM's for a given voltage supply, but what do the other numbers on the motor itself mean actually? For example, i found some that say 3650 then the KV rating, others say 3660 then the KV rating, and, others that say 4370, and a whole slew of numbers, but, what do they mean? Most of the motors i have found will be listed something along the lines of 3650 3100KV, or 4370 4250KV, or 3660 4900KV, things like that. Do the first four numbers work kind of like brushed motor turn listings? For example, would say a 3560 be equivalent to say a 13T, or or a 3660 be equivalent to a 10T, or are those numbers not interchangeable?

The reason for this is that i have 2 Redcat Volcano EPX's that eventually i am looking to upgrade to brushless, but, im not looking to make them speed demons in any way. What i am actually after is something reasonably fast, that might throw a bit of dirt and mud around, while still being controllable. Redcat uses a 3300 in their EPX Pro, but, they give absolutely no specs other than KV rating, plus, i have heard there ESC's and motors arent the best, and are quite pricey, and im looking for longevity, as well as not breaking the bank. What i am actually looking for, at minimum, is a waterproof 60A ESC, most likely a Hobbywing (yes, i know, there are tons of knockoffs, but, i prefer something with a tried and true reputation), or, a Castle Creations, but, im not sure which motor would be best for those vehicles.

You might as well buy a cheaper knock off since you're putting it in a Redcat anyway

You might as well buy a cheaper knock off since you're putting it in a Redcat anyway

Is that your way of tying to get rid of Redcat, by telling people to use cheap knock offs that catch on fire?

Is that your way of tying to get rid of Redcat, by telling people to use cheap knock offs that catch on fire?
Haha, i have 3 myself. I bought them because they were cheap and i didnt really know much about the hobby but since bought a Kraton and havnt touched any of them. The quality is day and night and to be honest theyre not worth putting any money into.

Well, i happen to like my Volcanos. They make good back yard bashers when set up right, and, even with the full aluminum upgrades i did on both, still haven't spent on both what that one you linked in my other post cost. Shop right on Amazon, since i wont ever use Fleabay, and you can actually make a Volcano a very capable vehicle. I also have an Arrma Fury, an Arrma Senton 4x4 mega, and a Racers Edge Pro2, and i still go out and beat on the Volcanos at least once a week, but, the brushed set up in both of them is getting weak, hence my question about swapping to brushless and the other posts i have made about them.

KIMG0130.jpg
KIMG0129.jpg
This is my 9 year olds Volcano with most of the aluminum upgrades.

Biggman, those numbers you are confused with are the size of the motor in mm.
For instance 3650 would mean that the diameter of the can is 36mm and the length is 50mm.
That would be for a 10th scale rig.
Arrma 1/8th scales are 4074 i believe.

Biggman, those numbers you are confused with are the size of the motor in mm.
For instance 3650 would mean that the diameter of the can is 36mm and the length is 50mm.
That would be for a 10th scale rig.
Arrma 1/8th scales are 4074 i believe.

Basically then, a 3650 would be a 540, and a 3660 would be a 550?

Throw an ARRMA BLX SYSTEM out of a Kraton, install a larger pinion, you will have to try a few but once you get it accelerating like you want you will be glad you installed something larger. It will run cooler, and with a change of the pinion you can make it have a higher top speed, but still accelerate XTREMELY hard, or you can go smaller on the pinion and do standing back flips all day. I used the ARRMA system for an example of what I would put in it, but something similar will work just the same. HobbyKing has their Turnigy motors priced lower than anything I have seen except for no name brands off eBay, both have really good reviews as well

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back