Question about pinion gear and wheelie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shingo

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I fed a bit about pinion gear for the outcast 6s and from what I red, more teeth equal more wheelie and more top speed.

I’m used to motorcycle where smaller front sprocket = more wheelie but less top speed and the opposite with more teeth.

So why is it on rc that you improve both at the same time? Why can we have our cake and eat it too?

I fed a bit about pinion gear for the outcast 6s and from what I red, more teeth equal more wheelie and more top speed.

I’m used to motorcycle where smaller front sprocket = more wheelie but less top speed and the opposite with more teeth.

So why is it on rc that you improve both at the same time? Why can we have our cake and eat it too?
To an extent it's true, for maybe 1-2 teeth, as in RC the "extra" power can be had at the expense of heat, and run times. But, just like your motorcycle & the laws of physics in gearing, a lower tooth pinion will give you better wheelies, cooler temps, and longer run times, albeit slower top speed.

The higher gearing (bigger pinion) reduces torque multiplication (less torque at the tire) gets more traction = the easier (to a point) wheelies. The lower gear (smaller pinion) increases torque at the wheel causing it to overcome traction more quickly which can reduce the wheelies. Ultimate power is not always best. If you can't use it (put it to the ground) it's worthless.

The power to weight ratio for 1/8 6s rc's is much higher compared to 1/1 vehicles or motorcycles.
So a drop in torque is hardly notacible going a few teeth up.
A 1/8 scale going 60 mph equals a 1/1 car going 480 mph!
Actually, the power to weight ratio, on a 1/7th scale, is higher than an F16.

Actually, the power to weight ratio, on a 1/7th scale, is higher than an F16.
thread necro.jpg

With my little experience everyone is correct...to a point as stated. I think if youre after wheelies, gear down not up and heavy diff oil middle and rear If doing that tho...have some serious grippy tires! Want both gotta find that balance. just imo.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back