Question for the diesel Mechanics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mazin

Nominated Safety Monitor
Hospitality Award
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to trade a AR for a 06 VW with a new clutch and flywheel, but it needs a new cam shaft and lifters. I think the valves are good but I didn't do the tare down, The rifle is worth about 1200 with ammo (yea its a cheapie) and the stealership (vw) wants 7k to fix. My question to you guys is is it worth doing the trade and either doing it myself (keep in mind I'm mechanically inclined but not a mechanic) or finding a mechanic cheaper to do it? It has 186 on the clock and supposedly has had 2 timing belts done (says the owner).

What say ye?

I have an opportunity to trade a AR for a 06 VW with a new clutch and flywheel, but it needs a new cam shaft and lifters. I think the valves are good but I didn't do the tare down, The rifle is worth about 1200 with ammo (yea its a cheapie) and the stealership (vw) wants 7k to fix. My question to you guys is is it worth doing the trade and either doing it myself (keep in mind I'm mechanically inclined but not a mechanic) or finding a mechanic cheaper to do it? It has 186 on the clock and supposedly has had 2 timing belts done (says the owner).

What say ye?
:unsure: I got my stage 4 TS cam installed for 600, do it.

Its a jetta 1.9 turbo. Its colorado man everthi g out here has jumped to cali amd ny pricing.

As a previous technician I would say no. With almost 200k on the block your walking into a money pit. It needs a cam for a reason, probably timing belt went and blew the cam, lifters and valves as it's interference motor if I recall. But let's say best case you replace all this now you have a brand new strong cam on a older and tired engine something more expensive will break next then you dropped X thousands for a really big paper weight.

Just my two cents.

Tough call there.
2 timing belts and 186k on the odo? You will need another T belt while you are in there. FWIW IMHO. Not tragic. Yeah heads are heads.
1 AR in hand is worth 2 TD's in the bush.:ROFLMAO:
Here in NY there is a shortage of mechanics. Labor $$ are up. And aftermarket parts cost as much as dealer parts now.
My spin. Your call. Toyota dealer tech for 8 years.
I agree with @RedPen.

What say ye?

I would never trade a gun for anything. Let alone an AR. Every home needs 3-4 AR-15's!

I would never trade a gun for anything. Let alone an AR. Every home needs 3-4 AR-15's!
Whos to say I don't lol. Been building rifles for about 15 years now and honestly i like my tavor better.

Thanks guys I did go ahead and pass on this because the car would be coming from a neighbor and honestly i think he doesn't treat his stuff good so I'm going to agree with @SrC and @RedPen

Thanks for all the help and input guys your all rock!

Last edited:
Worth it.. not a terrible job. Or even a shop. Wouldn't be more than $800 to $1,200 but it would pay for itself. Motor last long treated right.
As a previous technician I would say no. With almost 200k on the block your walking into a money pit. It needs a cam for a reason, probably timing belt went and blew the cam, lifters and valves as it's interference motor if I recall. But let's say best case you replace all this now you have a brand new strong cam on a older and tired engine something more expensive will break next then you dropped X thousands for a really big paper weight.

Just my two cents.
If the timing belt broke you'll need to have the cylinder head removed, all the bent valves replaced, and a bunch of gaskets basically. Some shops try to sell an entire engine but it isn't necessary.. 200k isn't a bunch on a diesel. 🤔

I believe the timing belt was fine, just that it had 2 already within 186k. Just would consider another new TB while you are in there, if going with the rebuild. Wouldn't know what needs to be done until its torn down completely. Valves etc.
I think its a pass for him however.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back